Demulling = too expensive?

d_wag

I heard someone on sports radio the other day and they were addressing this issue of free agency.  The guy being interviewed made the following statement:

"Outside of the rare exception, guys like TO, free agent signings often hurt the team who lost the player more than the help the team who signed the player"

I think he was spot on.  Throwing money a people just because they are a free agent is flat out stupid.  If Demulling isn't any better than Tucker then why should we sign him?  It's also interesting how our former players like Prioleau and Jay Riemersma are viewed as other peoples treasure.  Until after two seasons they flame out and are cut by their new team.

Anyone remember Nate Odom's?  Thomas Smith?  Jeff Burris?  Peerless Price?  Ruben Brown?

278025[/snapback]

Losing Spikes certainly hurt the Bengals. They ended up drafting 2 LB's in 2004 - Caleb Miller at #80 and Landon Johnson at #96 (that was the comp pick they got for losing Spikes), and bringing in MLB Nate Webster (an early I.R. loss).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Number one he is not a BIG upgrade. There are many teams with offensive line woes. Why were they not hot for Demulling if he is such as stud. If 2 million was such a deal where were the Packers who lost both guards? Number two, if you don't like people dogging you for it. Don't post.....very simple.....

278035[/snapback]

For 2 million, why didn't the Colts re-sign him? I know they have cap issues, but if 2 mil is reasonable, then....?

my "opinion" is that TD lowballs..........you don't have to agree, but i am well within my rights to express that "opinion", just like you are well within your rights to agree with every single move he makes .......my "opinion" is he lowballed demulling and wasn't willing to pay what DET ended up paying, which was extremely reasonable in my "opinion".......your "opinion" is he made the right move (as always) and that likely it was more demulling fault and not TD's if he did want him (just like it's usually the players fault and not TD's)........

i listen to you guys drone on in support of TD, which i would consider a "dead horse", so your going to have to put up with me when he misses out on a guy who would have been a big upgrade at our LG spot who signed a very reasonable contract.........if you don't like it, don't read my threads or my posts........very simple..........

278013[/snapback]

Like I said, call it whatever you want. All you're doing is speculating and assuming about things that you don't know anything about. On top of that, you continue to post the same crap every time a free agent comes and goes. Over and over and over.

...my "opinion" is he lowballed demulling and wasn't willing to pay what DET ended up paying, which was extremely reasonable in my "opinion"....

278013[/snapback]

As we now know much Detroit's paying for DeMulling, you and I agree that Detroit isn't overpaying him, so we can put that aside.

Where I see a problem with your argument is that the only way one could have an opinion about TD's offer being too low would be if one knew exactly what the offer was. It's safe to say that neither one of us knows that.

If, then, your opinion is not based upon knowing exactly what the offer was and THEN deciding it was too low, what, exactly, is it based upon? My guess is that you've jumped to a conclusion about TD making a lowball offer because that coincides with your opinion of him.

If that's the case, cool. We're all guilty of it from time to time, but without knowing the amount offered, it's impossible to have an opinion as to whether it was too low, and therefore, impossible to blame the offer (or TD) as the reason he didn't sign with Bflo.

Like I said, call it whatever you want. All you're doing is speculating and assuming about things that you don't know anything about. On top of that, you continue to post the same crap every time a free agent comes and goes. Over and over and over.

278040[/snapback]

and you continue to defend every move (and non-move) TD makes........over and over and over.........i don't see a difference.........

and you continue to defend every move (and non-move) TD makes........over and over and over.........i don't see a difference.........

278048[/snapback]

The difference is that I'm offering an opinion on something that TD DID..........you speculate on things you THINK TD is doing. Get it?

The difference is that I'm offering an opinion on something that TD DID..........you speculate on things you THINK TD is doing. Get it?

278052[/snapback]

he didn't sign demulling.........that defantiely happened, and if you doubt it, check the newswire.........why? well you got a million excuses as to why it wasn't TD's fault and why it was a great move not to, i just happen to offer a different "opinion"..........no difference, you just don't want to hear it..........

he didn't sign demulling.........that defantiely happened, and if you doubt it, check the newswire.........why? well you got a million excuses as to why it wasn't TD's fault and why it was a great move not to, i just happen to offer a different "opinion"..........no difference, you just don't want to hear it..........

278068[/snapback]

You're right, I don't want to hear it. The first five times was plenty. Get a new schtick.

I can't say it was the wrong move casue I don'ty know as much about the Bills contract status as TD does. Do you think you know more than TD?

If you want to say you don't like the move TD made or didn't move, fine, thats your opinion. But when you say he was wrong, that implies, you have facts to back it up ( to the same depth as TD does) which I'm certain you don't. Do you have contracts of every player on the Bills? Of every player on other teams?

quote=d_wag,Mar 17 2005, 08:38 AM]

and i think it's kinda pathetic that you guys can't admit that perhaps he made the wrong move here...........much like he made a wrong move by ignoring kendall last off-season, which would have addressed this need to begin with.........but here we are, still a need at LG, and you guys still making excuses for why he hasn't addressed it........

277743[/snapback]

My unsolicited opine:

The difficulty with assigning blame on why DeMulling didn't sign with Buffalo is that it may very well have had nothing to do with TD or money.  In fact, it's entirely possible that Bflo's offer was for more money.  Perhaps DeMulling likes the idea of playing at least 8 games a season in a dome.  Or maybe he and his wife agreed that by playing in Detroit he wouldn't have to sell his house and uproot his family since Detroit's much closer to Indy than Bflo is.  My point being, unless or until we learn WHY DeMulling didn't sign with Bflo, all arguments one way or the other are moot, aren't they?

277968[/snapback]

DING DING DING! And thus d_wag's ridiculous "lowball" argument is just that. Ridiculous.

You're right, but it won't stop him from posting 50 more times in this thread.  :doh:

278090[/snapback]

Hell, we're only three weeks into FA.......you can expect to see the same broken record the next time we have a player in for a visit and he signs with someone else.

Hell, we're only three weeks into FA.......you can expect to see the same broken record the next time we have a player in for a visit and he signs with someone else.

278105[/snapback]

:) "Why isn't Marcellus Rivers signed yet???" :doh:

:)  "Why isn't Marcellus Rivers signed yet???" :doh:

278113[/snapback]

Sh*t, I completely forgot about that guy.......dwag already has one in the pipe!! It's only a matter of time!!!

yea, he is a guard who has had some nicks and bruises over his career.......not exactly uncommon........

why did the bills look at villy last year after he missed time in both the previous seasons? why did they sign teague after he missed an entire year with an ACL injury?

i love how guys are dogging demulling today but would have been all over his jock if TD had signed the guy.......very hypocritical.......

277895[/snapback]

D Wag.....

I am not going to say that you should admit that Coach was right.....but if you did it would add to your credibility a bit

wow, i can't even count the excuses that fast.........i'm sure it was one of those, or perhaps a combination........

277770[/snapback]

Actually, Todd raised some pretty good questions which, in lieu of actually answering, you blow off with your logic that these are just 'excuses,' which is lame in and of itself since you started off your thread implying that anyone who doesn't agree with you clearly is just making up excuses.

How you can be critical of something that wasn't done when you have absolutely, positively NO idea about the details of what was or wasn't done in the first place?

You do a helluva Ice imitation. I half expect you to call us assclowns and starting suggesting that "McGahee is injury prone."

i love how guys are dogging demulling today but would have been all over his jock if TD had signed the guy.......very hypocritical.......
I wouldn't call it being hypocritical, I'd call it trusting TD (and JMac) to make the right move. Almost every move he's made (with the notable exception of extending Drew last year) has at least looked good on paper; other mistakes like GW later blew up in his face, but overall he's earned my trust. If he didn't think DeMulling was worth the money, I'm cool with it.

Actually, Todd raised some pretty good questions which, in lieu of actually answering, you blow off with your logic that these are just 'excuses,' which is lame in and of itself since you started off your thread implying that anyone who doesn't agree with you clearly is just making up excuses.

How you can be critical of something that wasn't done when you have absolutely, positively NO idea about the details of what was or wasn't done in the first place?

You do a helluva Ice imitation. I half expect you to call us assclowns and starting suggesting that "McGahee is injury prone."

278135[/snapback]

Yeah, but I doubt TD would have a private meeting with d-wag. That'd be the true indicator.