Demulling = too expensive?

d_wag

"The contract is believed to be a two-year deal worth $4.45 million."

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions17e_20050317.htm

2.2M a year for a solid starting guard is money well spent and looks like a bargain after the contract that villy got..........buffalo should have landed this guy and it was a mistake to not address the glaring hole at LG with the best option available.........now buffalo will be forced to look to cheaper, 2nd rate options........

the lions didn't overpay like many on this board said they would.........they gave him a fair deal and got their man.......the bills lowballed and ended up with nothing........bad move, but i don't expect many here on this board to admit it.........

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

.......the bills lowballed and ended up with nothing........bad move, but i don't expect many here on this board to admit it.........

277686[/snapback]

And there it is. Our resident salary cap and player evaluation expert has spoken.

Here's a thought: DeMulling may have been perfect for the Lions, but not what the Bills wanted.

And there it is. Our resident salary cap and player evaluation expert has spoken.

Here's a thought: DeMulling may have been perfect for the Lions, but not what the Bills wanted.

277691[/snapback]

and i will call this "excuse #1" -- let's see how many we can collect today.......

so why did they bring him in for a visit and show interest after watching hour and hour of tape on the guy? did he swear during his interview? maybe he squeezed TD's hand too tight? did he trip on the way out the door?

If I'm a General Manager I would definitely push to sign a guy for more than 2 years. Especially for a guy on the o-line where you need those guys to play together to get good. They'll be looking for an OG again in 2 years because Demulling will want even bigger money then.

and i will call this "excuse #1" -- let's see how many we can collect today.......

so why did they bring him in for a visit and show interest after watching hour and hour of tape on the guy?  did he swear during his interview?  maybe he squeezed TD's hand too tight?  did he trip on the way out the door?

277694[/snapback]

Well, suppose they're able to sign shelton for 500K less a year? Then is it worth it? The longer you wait in FA, the cheaper players become.

If that's your rationale, then why did they bring in ANYBODY they didn't intend to sign?

They assigned a worth to DeMulling, maybe it was more than the Lions' offer... Something caused DeMulling to pick the Lions. Players like short contracts with guaranteed money.

Who knows? Certainly you don't.

If I'm a General Manager I would definitely push to sign a guy for more than 2 years.  Especially for a guy on the o-line where you need those guys to play together to get good.  They'll be looking for an OG again in 2 years because Demulling will want even bigger money then.

277698[/snapback]

excuse #2 -- he took the lions short-term offer over the bills long-term offer

D Wag...look at the Bills salary cap situation...we had to RELEASE Pierson just to get 2 million dollars under the cap. The Lions were 9 million dollars under.

Its impossible to lowball a player when 2.2 million bucks would have put us over the cap. And dont give me your usual "well, TD could use some creative contracts to get under the cap" because that just doesnt fly. When you dont have the money, even if you get creative you are screwing the team because lets remember the Bills also have to make room for a rookie pool as well. Accept the fact that we dont have much money to spend in FA, and therefore we are going to lose out on some of the big name FAs. Stop acting like TD is purposely trying to sink the team...sheesh.

D Wag...look at the Bills salary cap situation...we had to RELEASE Pierson just to get 2 million dollars under the cap.  The Lions were 9 million dollars under. 

Its impossible to lowball a player when 2.2 million bucks would have put us over the cap.  And dont give me your usual "well, TD could use some creative contracts to get under the cap" because that just doesnt fly.  When you dont have the money, even if you get creative you are screwing the team because lets remember the Bills also have to make room for a rookie pool as well.  Accept the fact that we dont have much money to spend in FA, and therefore we are going to lose out on some of the big name FAs.  Stop acting like TD is purposely trying to sink the team...sheesh.

You are beginning to rival Rudy for your whining.

277715[/snapback]

Where'd you get that Salary Cap info? I've never seen such a low figure.

"The contract is believed to be a two-year deal worth $4.45 million."

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions17e_20050317.htm

2.2M a year for a solid starting guard is money well spent and looks like a bargain after the contract that villy got..........buffalo should have landed this guy and it was a mistake to not address the glaring hole at LG with the best option available.........now buffalo will be forced to look to cheaper, 2nd rate options........

the lions didn't overpay like many on this board said they would.........they gave him a fair deal and got their man.......the bills lowballed and ended up with nothing........bad move, but i don't expect many here on this board to admit it.........

277686[/snapback]

Did you even hear of Demulling before free agency started? Probably not. Now you think he is worth 2 million plus a year? Whatever.

D Wag...look at the Bills salary cap situation...we had to RELEASE Pierson just to get 2 million dollars under the cap.  The Lions were 9 million dollars under. 

Its impossible to lowball a player when 2.2 million bucks would have put us over the cap.  And dont give me your usual "well, TD could use some creative contracts to get under the cap" because that just doesnt fly.  When you dont have the money, even if you get creative you are screwing the team because lets remember the Bills also have to make room for a rookie pool as well.  Accept the fact that we dont have much money to spend in FA, and therefore we are going to lose out on some of the big name FAs.  Stop acting like TD is purposely trying to sink the team...sheesh.

277715[/snapback]

from TD:

"Our current cap situation would not prevent us from signing any player that we are interested in."

are you saying that is a lie?

if the bills are as hamstrung as you say they are in regards to the cap, who deserves the blame for that? it's TD's team, it's TD's cap, and if he doesn't have the resources to improve this team after yet another non-playoff year, he deserves to be called out for it.........

i disagree with not signing demulling.....spin it any way you want, but i find it amazing that so many on this board support this non-move by TD.......i think he screwed up here, but you guys are so blinded in defending him that you won't even consider that maybe he didn't make the right move.......

277686[/snapback]

So how much did the Bills offer him? How was the contract structured? Do you have this information or are you making it up?

i disagree with not signing demulling.....spin it any way you want, but i find it amazing that so many on this board support this non-move by TD.......i think he screwed up here, but you guys are so blinded in defending him that you won't even consider that maybe he didn't make the right move.......

277735[/snapback]

I'm not happy about our OL situation at this point, however you are so blinded by your opinion (a WRONG opinion for that matter) of TD that you grasp at any straw to dis him. It's kinda pathetic, bud.

I'm not happy about our OL situation at this point, however you are so blinded by your opinion (a WRONG opinion for that matter) of TD that you grasp at any straw to dis him. It's kinda pathetic, bud.

277738[/snapback]

and i think it's kinda pathetic that you guys can't admit that perhaps he made the wrong move here...........much like he made a wrong move by ignoring kendall last off-season, which would have addressed this need to begin with.........but here we are, still a need at LG, and you guys still making excuses for why he hasn't addressed it........

and i think it's kinda pathetic that you guys can't admit that perhaps he made the wrong move here...........much like he made a wrong move by ignoring kendall last off-season, which would have addressed this need to begin with.........but here we are, still a need at LG, and you guys still making excuses for why he hasn't addressed it........

277743[/snapback]

Read my post again. Please.

And what did the bills offer Demulling? How long was the contract for? For what dollars?

Read my post again. Please.

And what did the bills offer Demulling? How long was the contract for? For what dollars?

277746[/snapback]

obviously their offer was not as good as the lions........if you can't figure that out yourself, your worse off then even i thought..........

obviously their offer was not as good as the lions........if you can't figure that out yourself, your worse off then even i thought..........

277753[/snapback]

Oh really? What was the offer? Did the Bills even offer him a contract? Do you know? What were the differences between the two contracts that made him sign with Detroit? What were the intangibles that made Detroit more appealing? Have you spoken to Demulling? Have you read anything about the facts of the matter? Are you making suppositions without facts again?

If you're going to say the Bills lowballed him, you damn well better know the details or else you look like a fool. The look of a fool is creeping up on you.

277743[/snapback]

....and in your professional assessment from having broken done film and studying Demulling, he is that much better than what we have on our cuurent roster at 2 million plus a year?

By the way do you have a list of the probable June 1st cuts in your hand as well? Hmmmmmmm.

I got a question. I admit, I never heard of the guy before free agency. If this guy is SO GOOD, why were the Bills, Lions, & Ravens (who pretty quickly removed themselves from the running) the only teams that were trying to sign the guy?

Oh really? What was the offer? Did the Bills even offer him a contract? Do you know? What were the differences between the two contracts that made him sign with Detroit? What were the intangibles that made Detroit more appealing? Have you spoken to Demulling? Have you read anything about the facts of the matter? Are you making suppositions without facts again?

If you're going to say the Bills lowballed him, you damn well better know the details or else you look like a fool. The look of a fool is creeping up on you.

277763[/snapback]

wow, i can't even count the excuses that fast.........i'm sure it was one of those, or perhaps a combination........