Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 6 - Officials at Practice Today to Cover Rule Changes

McDermott meets the media at 8:15 AM with practice starting at 8:45.

Bills to meet with NFL officials to discuss targeting rule Wednesday

The National Football League instituted a new set of tackling rules ahead of the 2018 season and its being met with plenty of backlash.

The rule sounds simple enough, if someone — a defender — lowers their head to initiate contact, the player may be disqualified from the game. That’s a huge rule change, because realistically, offensive players lower their heads, too.

At the foundation of the rule is player safety, however, the players don’t want to be tossed from games.

The Buffalo Bills, according to head coach Sean McDermott, will get their chance to learn a little bit more on the new rules on Wednesday as NFL officials will visit St. John Fisher College to discuss the new rules.

8-1: Bills' Quarterback Josh Allen with Howard and Jeremy (7:33)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 6 - Officials at Practice Today to Cover Rule Changes
47 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott meets the media at 8:15 AM with practice starting at 8:45.

Bills to meet with NFL officials to discuss targeting rule Wednesday

The National Football League instituted a new set of tackling rules ahead of the 2018 season and its being met with plenty of backlash.

The rule sounds simple enough, if someone — a defender — lowers their head to initiate contact, the player may be disqualified from the game. That’s a huge rule change, because realistically, offensive players lower their heads, too.

At the foundation of the rule is player safety, however, the players don’t want to be tossed from games.

The Buffalo Bills, according to head coach Sean McDermott, will get their chance to learn a little bit more on the new rules on Wednesday as NFL officials will visit St. John Fisher College to discuss the new rules.

8-1: Bills' Quarterback Josh Allen with Howard and Jeremy (7:33)

Was interesting to here Josh describe the QBs, how he said he and AJ are similar but they get into it sometimes

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think he's standing there wondering where his shadow went?  Does he not understand basic elementary science?

he probably just assumes it's that blue line.

Just now, BeginnersMind said:

We saw some flashes of Zay later last year and I hope he makes it back soon. There is no reason he can't play a big role in the passing offense. 

The sooner he's back the better as he has yet to have even one rep in the new offense.

8 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I don't think Thad Brown likes Allen. He uses very accusative language with him. 

It does seem to be a theme. I personally do not like anyone named Thad. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I didn't see it or hear it but someone mentioned that Thad had a meltdown after we drafted Allen.

I can admit myself that I did too but I'm definitely keeping my mind open on him.

He was complimentary in other messages today, think he’s just reporting as he sees it and some fans are too sensitive about Allen being portrayed in the media.

By all accounts it sounds like he’s having a good open to camp for a rookie. Some good some bad, which is to be expected.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rockpile233 said:

He was complimentary in other messages today, think he’s just reporting as he sees it and some fans are too sensitive about Allen being portrayed in the media.

By all accounts it sounds like he’s having a good open to camp for a rookie. Some good some bad, which is to be expected.

No reports of hitting a tent with an errant throw....that's a net positive to me.

3 minutes ago, JoeF said:

No reports of hitting a tent with an errant throw....that's a net positive to me.

I'm very pleased that he seems to have a knack for back shoulder throws. Haven't seen those in 800 years. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I'm very pleased that he seems to have a knack for back shoulder throws. Haven't seen those in 800 years. 

Feeling the same. It also gives me encouragement that if he can drop those in the bucket, he can work on his other accuracy issues. It's not as if he isn't accurate. He may just have bad mechanics on certain throws (sounds like he blows at screens). 

I like hearing about his development. It's a good day with the defense unleashed and the O running time-pressure drills. Starting to see if he can handle pressure. Every day something new. We all know he will start at some point--I can't wait to see him on a game day but am happy to Trust/Respect the Process. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Back shoulders show both timing and accuracy.  Allen's trouble seems to be with touch on short throws...that is a teachable skill.  Back shoulders are tough to teach.   The other highlights I have seen is that he knows how to throw a high-point fade.  That is key with a guy like Benjamin. 

McCarron threw a nice one yesterday as well for Benjamin over Tre' De.

• Like (+1) 4