Heading to Franklin county, Loon Lake (lunch anyone)

mead107

August 6. We are heading north. Have to help do some work at my nieces camp.  

Going to go to 

Deer valley restaurant for lunch one day that week. 

I know some live in that area. 

Any interest? 

When I was young, my dad had a cousin at Tupper Lake.  Used to be a great place to visit.  Last time I was there was 1990, and it seemed very economically depressed.  To me, it kind of mirrors NYS.  NYC & Long Island have prospered while the rest of NYS has been in decline.

Years ago, I worked with a glib Irishman, who had come to the States to better his lot in life.  After his annual vacation at the plant shutdown, we would get one of the newer fellows to ask where George went.

"Lard Lake" he would reply.

"Where's that?" the 'mark' would ask.

"Up a pig's @$$" he would reply.

Yes, it IS one of those 'you had to be theres'.

13 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

So barely into the ADK? That's like going to Yonkers and saying you're in NYC. 

I agree. I make it up to Lake Placid occasionally. Old Forge is only about an hour away, so going up there for kayaking is easy. 

I used to climb Blue Mountain, Wakely Mountain, and a few others as a day trip. Not quite High Peaks, but tough enough as far as I’m concerned. I haven’t done that kind of hiking in several years. Now my wife and I just walk around lakes and ponds mostly. 

There are a lot people go to Lake George and call it the Adirondacks. 

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I agree. I make it up to Lake Placid occasionally. Old Forge is only about an hour away, so going up there for kayaking is easy. 

I used to climb Blue Mountain, Wakely Mountain, and a few others as a day trip. Not quite High Peaks, but tough enough as far as I’m concerned. I haven’t done that kind of hiking in several years. Now my wife and I just walk around lakes and ponds mostly. 

I completed the ADK Fire Tower challenge back in 2012. I've only done four of the 46ers. And I'm also working on the 100 Highest, which includes the 46ers. And if I hear about any interesting hikes I'll do those to. Just a month ago I was near Whiteface, trying to get two mountains off the 100 list, failed again, but right down the road I saw a fairly new sign and parking lot for Cobble Lookout. Decided to check it out and it was worth it. A fairly easy hike a little over 2 miles round trip, to a large overlook that faces Ester and Whiteface. I've recommended it to a few people that wanted something easy with views. 

https://www.cnyhiking.com/CobbleLookout.htm

• Like (+1) 1