Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Abbey Road special edition coming out later this month, is anyone else in? The multi-channel mix could be great.

curious what they will do with it, so many overdubs and endless piling on during the mixing

(one of my least favourite albums, the medley was a total copout, but it was nice they took 2 of George's songs....)

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

curious what they will do with it, so many overdubs and endless piling on during the mixing

(one of my least favourite albums, the medley was a total copout, but it was nice they took 2 of George's songs....)

I love the medley and the entire album, myself!

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I love the medley and the entire album, myself!

It's Come Together and George's 2 masterpieces and the rest is best left uncritiqued... perhaps the two were holding back for their solo work?

It was nice they got together after all was said and done. 

Lennon told David Sheff that "Mean Mr. Mustard" was "a bit of crap that I wrote in India," adding that it was a "piece of garbage. I'd read somewhere in the newspaper about this mean guy who hid five-pound notes, not up his nose but somewhere else."

John knew....

and the comments by the other 3 about Maxwell's SH should be memorized by now....

Edited by row_33

47 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s not at the very top of my Beatles list, but I still love it. I’m particularly looking forward to hearing the medley in 5.1, ie. the jam before The End could be amazing.

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It's Come Together and George's 2 masterpieces and the rest is best left uncritiqued... perhaps the two were holding back for their solo work?

It was nice they got together after all was said and done. 

Lennon told David Sheff that "Mean Mr. Mustard" was "a bit of crap that I wrote in India," adding that it was a "piece of garbage. I'd read somewhere in the newspaper about this mean guy who hid five-pound notes, not up his nose but somewhere else."

John knew....

and the comments by the other 3 about Maxwell's SH should be memorized by now....

Irregardless ... I love it!

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Irregardless ... I love it!

no problem there, they grit their teeth and got through the White Album and it was nice they tried again to do something after the Let It Be/Get Back sessions

hard to argue with people who think everything they did was golden and GOAT

it was already 1969 and Led Zeppelin (the first) was out there and blew away anything the Fab Four could muster up at the time, along with many other acts on top

things changed drastically while they fiddled away at Twickenham...  :(

Edited by row_33

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

no problem there, they grit their teeth and got through the White Album and it was nice they tried again to do something after the Let It Be/Get Back sessions

hard to argue with people who think everything they did was golden and GOAT

it was already 1969 and Led Zeppelin (the first) was out there and blew away anything the Fab Four could muster up at the time

things changed drastically while they fiddled away at Twickenham...  :(

geez, #9 for 1969, after they gave John's kid with Yoko 4 of 5 starts for his album, yeah, it's above #10 and 11...  :D

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/ratings/35-rolling-stone-highest-rated/1969/1

69 was Zep II.

Hard to compare Zep to the Beatles.  Two very different bands in almost every way possible.

37 minutes ago, notwoz said:

The album I play most frequently is Rubber Soul.  But Meet the Beatles still gives me goosebumps, just like it did in 1964. 

A taste of Honey does the same here from the first VeeJay Lp:

Image result for introducing the beatles album cover

Guess VeeJay is off the map on youtube lol.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Dean said:

That was my first Beatles album.

My intro to the Beatles was when I was 10 (1981) ... my brother is 6 years older.  He had the red and blue "hits" albums.  I gravitated toward the blue album (later stuff).  From there, I became a huge Wings fan.  As I got older (20s), I got back into the Beatles, but continued to focus on everything Rubber Soul and after.  Still do.  I love their earlier stuff, but I just enjoy listening to the later stuff more.

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I was just thinking about all the great Beatles songs which they never performed in concert because they stopped touring in Summer of 1966, and then broke up in 1969.

What a concert it would have been in the 1970's when they were all still in their prime.   :(:(:(

many offers were made in the 70s, a few were very serious.

getting them together in one room without something getting thrown down would have been amazing in the 70s

if John were alive in the early 2000s and saw how much $$$ was pulled in by comparable acts, they would for sure have been touring, all grudges instantly forgotten

remember that Paul cynically entered his wife into the Empire as a contributor scooping 1/5 of Beatles royalties in the 1970s... the Red and Blue and Rarities fortunes were equal parts to her....

Edited by row_33

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I was just thinking about all the great Beatles songs which they never performed in concert because they stopped touring in Summer of 1966, and then broke up in 1969.

What a concert it would have been in the 1970's when they were all still in their prime.   :(:(:(

Would have been great at Woodstock.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Would have been great at Woodstock.

They weren’t a live act at the time, their recordings were studio tricks with tons of overdubbing and actions that couldn’t be replicated live.

John has no interest in stadium concerts, he looked with horror when Paul suggested stadiums during the Let It Be sessions.

They had run their course, they made half an album in Abbey Road bailed out by George’s donations 

it it was a good trip but the dream was long over....