Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I don’t think the Beatles made an album as great as Exile on Main Street or Sticky Fingers. Aftermath, Beggars Banquet, and Let It Bleed are debatable.

Beatles couldn’t have done a Sticky Fingers, Exile is my top Stones album.

51 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

If there was a favorite Stones album poll Exile would have at least two votes. The album, not the lock master.

It’s a lifelong obsession at first listen or completely impenetrable....

1 minute ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

How did this turn into a Stones thread? The Stones are wonderful for what they are, but they aren’t even close to being in a league with the greatest band of all time. Don’t believe me? Ask John.

You get what you get.  Only a few of us can be bothered to add anything here.

Do you really want to take John at full face value for his comments on his band mates?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

How did this turn into a Stones thread? The Stones are wonderful for what they are, but they aren’t even close to being in a league with the greatest band of all time. Don’t believe me? Ask John. *NSFW* - Language 

On topic: 8 months after the thread started and Abbey Road is still my favorite Beatles album.

Off topic: if I had to choose between a world without the Beatles or a world without the Stones I would never have heard "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)". 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

On topic: 8 months after the thread started and Abbey Road is still my favorite Beatles album.

Off topic: if I had to choose between a world without the Beatles or a world without the Stones I would never have heard "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)". 

I am grateful for both of them, but my interest in the Stones output is severely limited after Mick Taylor left.  

I’m not sure how many post-MT albums I am not even aware of....

You Know My Name was recorded mainly during or just after the Sgt Pepper phase, along with George’s IATM and IOANS

all three are a symptom of the acid summer of love which now seems the height of an entitled arrogance to inflict endless and childish noodling on fans, and everyone famous was guilty of it

Thankfully they had the sense to hold back release until all this has worn off, better controlled silliness like Hello Goodbye would always win for public consumption

but it makes a diff to merge George's songs and You Know My Name with Sgt Pepper, along with the EP of Penny Lane /Strawberry Fields Forever, making a near double album of Pepper excellence

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

———————

It’s is with gratitude that The Beatles catalog, even with UK/US diffs, was more tightly controlled than their contemporaries 

a nightmare of releases and unauthorized nonsense was put out in the name of the Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks and other bands

not sure if it has improved the last 20 or so years for this era

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

George: his masterpiece with them and a good song

John: good song in CT

The rest was filler 

Best studio sound recording, especially the drums

Great 1-2 punch to start the album, then Maxwell’s Silver Hammer. :thumbdown: Still the Beatles though, as I’ve said earlier, I wouldn’t change a thing.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Great 1-2 punch to start the album, then Maxwell’s Silver Hammer. :thumbdown: Still the Beatles though, as I’ve said earlier, I wouldn’t change a thing.

in recapping the events 50 years ago it was a miracle they could get together and grind out Abbey Road

wouldn't change it either, and thankfully George didn't save his two songs for All Things Must Pass.

Sometimes Paul would make us do these really fruity songs. I mean, my god, Maxwell's Silver Hammer was so fruity. After a while we did a good job on it, but when Paul got an idea or an arrangement in his head...  -  George Harrison

That's Paul's. I hate it. 'Cuz all I remember is the track – he made us do it a hundred million times. He did everything to make it into a single and it never was and it never could've been, but he put guitar licks on it and he had somebody hitting iron pieces and we spent more money on that song than any of them in the whole album. I think. - John Lennon
The worst session ever was Maxwell's Silver Hammer. It was the worst track we ever had to record. It went on for ***** weeks. I thought it was mad --- Ringo Starr

they lost the ability to collectively carve out a short masterpiece with lyrical twists and turns, said hell with it and made a medley (sigh...) after hundreds of hours going nowhere

I Want You must have inspired Spinal Tap Jazz Odyssey's portion... just run it until the side runs out.... cripes...

Edited by row_33

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, I wondered if there will ever me a movie made of the Beatles from their formation to their breakup? Of course you'd have to get Paul, Ringo, Yoko and whomever represents George's estate to all agree to it...which means it will probably never happen.

The Queen movie was so awesome(even with the inaccuracies).  Put the Beatles story in the right hands, and do some great casting and a Beatles movie would be tremendous.

• Like (+1) 1