Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I hate to say it, and I know it's not right, but Keith jumped the shark for me when he cleaned up, lost the glare, and started smiling all the time. Pre-clean-up Keith would never agreed to go Vegas with Mick just to get the band back on the road, and he sure as hell would've never written a #$%^ing book. I've read it, some good stories but a lot of BS.

Let him enjoy his last years on earth as he sees fit.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You are good enough albums. But they weren't anything groundbreaking or special. They felt very formulaic and didn't have "heart" for lack of a better term. 

I like both of those records quite a bit.  I think the song "Emotional Rescue" is one of the oddest things a band of their stature has ever done...it's such a pecualiar song...I like it.  And the "second side" of Tatto You is killer.  

5 hours ago, Rico said:

I hate to say it, and I know it's not right, but Keith jumped the shark for me when he cleaned up, lost the glare, and started smiling all the time. Pre-clean-up Keith would never agreed to go Vegas with Mick just to get the band back on the road, and he sure as hell would've never written a #$%^ing book. I've read it, some good stories but a lot of BS.

I think your a little harsh in your "Vegas Stones" assesment. Of course, I know what you mean, but they actually sound pretty great in their old age.  Sure, I would rather hear them without the big band to fill out the sound, in a small club, but that is the upshot/downside of "stadium rock".   I've seen them on every US tour since 1978, and while they may have put out better records early on in that time, I think they sound better live over the past 10 years or so, than they did back when they were "cooler". My only real quibble is that I wish, over the years, they would mix up the set list a little bit more.  They have been doing a few more "deep cuts" over the last few tours, but not hearing an extended "showstopper" verion of Jumping Jack Flash or Satisfaction wouldn't be the worst thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Ha.  You think Keith Richards is going to die?!?!?!

It is inevitable, maybe before his Glimmer Twin, so we can hear Mick’s tedious lecture in a last word

hooefully not as tasteless and sadly telling as Macca’s “it’s a drag....”

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

It is inevitable, maybe before his Glimmer Twin, so we can hear Mick’s tedious lecture in a last word

hooefully not as tasteless and sadly telling as Macca’s “it’s a drag....”

I get the criticism for that remark, but no one knows what was going through his mind at the time.  I honestly believe he was just trying to hide his emotions.  You reminded me of, "Here Today," which is a beautiful song (and one of the songs that made me cry when I saw Macca).

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I get the criticism for that remark, but no one knows what was going through his mind at the time.  I honestly believe he was just trying to hide his emotions.  You reminded me of, "Here Today," which is a beautiful song (and one of the songs that made me cry when I saw Macca).

I was 14 and that was probably the saddest day of my youth ( i was blessed)

and that remark was so cutting and dooshy that i was reminded why Macca was my 4th favourite Beatle....  i can't honestly include Nicky Hopkins or that'd make him my 5th...

it probably was the first honest and unpolitical and non-suckup comment he made in public in his career, and he had served 9 days in a Japanese prison earlier in the year, so it's alright but it was still dooshy

Edited by row_33

10 hours ago, Buftex said:

I like both of those records quite a bit.  I think the song "Emotional Rescue" is one of the oddest things a band of their stature has ever done...it's such a pecualiar song...I like it.  And the "second side" of Tatto You is killer.  

I think your a little harsh in your "Vegas Stones" assesment. Of course, I know what you mean, but they actually sound pretty great in their old age.  Sure, I would rather hear them without the big band to fill out the sound, in a small club, but that is the upshot/downside of "stadium rock".   I've seen them on every US tour since 1978, and while they may have put out better records early on in that time, I think they sound better live over the past 10 years or so, than they did back when they were "cooler". My only real quibble is that I wish, over the years, they would mix up the set list a little bit more.  They have been doing a few more "deep cuts" over the last few tours, but not hearing an extended "showstopper" verion of Jumping Jack Flash or Satisfaction wouldn't be the worst thing.  

I have no problem with them using all the help they can get while playing in their mid-70’s. I agree that they would be better at this point playing smaller venues/residencies at this point, but it’s cool that many younger people have been able to see them now. And of course I need to remember that it’s not always about me. :lol:

Playing like a Vegas cover band almost 30 years ago when they were in their mid-40’s is inexcusable  though.... and I could not disagree more when you compare their sound over the past 10 years zzzzzz to what it was 30 years ago. I can still watch the Some Girls Live in Texas BD with tears in my eyes over how great the sound and performance is. See, the set list didn’t change much at all back then, but the performances were so great, energetic, and LIVE that it really didn’t matter. In the Vegas era, the warhorses all sound the same, show after show.... can’t blame anyone for wanting variety from that. I guess at least Mick doesn’t tell the same stories every show like Macca does.:D

27 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I was 14 and that was probably the saddest day of my youth ( i was blessed)

and that remark was so cutting and dooshy that i was reminded why Macca was my 4th favourite Beatle....  i can't honestly include Nicky Hopkins or that'd make him my 5th...

it probably was the first honest and unpolitical and non-suckup comment he made in public in his career, and he had served 9 days in a Japanese prison earlier in the year, so it's alright but it was still dooshy

Put yourself in his shoes. You just got news that one of your best friends from childhood, and that you worked with for ten years, was shot and killed. Then reporters shove microphones in your face, wanting a soundbite. 

12 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Put yourself in his shoes. You just got news that one of your best friends from childhood, and that you worked with for ten years, was shot and killed. Then reporters shove microphones in your face, wanting a soundbite. 

i know i know, i was upset at the time, he is forgiven completely

still sucked though for Mr Smiley and goofy head-shake to do that...

scored 5th row tickets for my parents to see them as a 40th anniversary gift, Mom still is thrilled about it 15 years later....

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

i know i know, i was upset at the time, he is forgiven completely

still sucked though for Mr Smiley and goofy head-shake to do that...

scored 5th row tickets for my parents to see them as a 40th anniversary gift, Mom still is thrilled about it 15 years later....

He's on my bucket list. Along with Willie Nelson, who I'm gonna see on the first of next month. The Stones. And Elton John, who's resale tickets start in the $300 range, so hoping for some sort of miracle. 

14 hours ago, Rico said:

I have no problem with them using all the help they can get while playing in their mid-70’s. I agree that they would be better at this point playing smaller venues/residencies at this point, but it’s cool that many younger people have been able to see them now. And of course I need to remember that it’s not always about me. :lol:

Playing like a Vegas cover band almost 30 years ago when they were in their mid-40’s is inexcusable  though.... and I could not disagree more when you compare their sound over the past 10 years zzzzzz to what it was 30 years ago. I can still watch the Some Girls Live in Texas BD with tears in my eyes over how great the sound and performance is. See, the set list didn’t change much at all back then, but the performances were so great, energetic, and LIVE that it really didn’t matter. In the Vegas era, the warhorses all sound the same, show after show.... can’t blame anyone for wanting variety from that. I guess at least Mick doesn’t tell the same stories every show like Macca does.:D

Keith, and especially Ronnie, still do some pretty great guitar stuff.  I guess I am just the eternal Stones aplogist.  I'd pay a pretty hefty price to see them in a small  venue...sure it will never happen though.  

10 hours ago, Buftex said:

Keith, and especially Ronnie, still do some pretty great guitar stuff.  I guess I am just the eternal Stones aplogist.  I'd pay a pretty hefty price to see them in a small  venue...sure it will never happen though.  

Friend of mine claims that back in their hey-day, he was at a bar on route 20 when the Stones were playing Rich Stadium. Show was sold out, so he didn't make it. Bout an hour and a half after the show was over, a guy walked in, and told the bartender to lock the doors, nobody comes in, anybody that's here can stay, but can't get back in if they leave. Then the Stones come in and just jam for like two hours. Also allegedly had a hefty tab that they stiffed too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The White Album (especially disc 2) creeps me out because I associate it with Charles Manson.  I was 7 when all that happened.

Some years later, I had just bought Physical Graffiti and listened to it non-stop while reading Helter Skelter (the Vincent Bugliosi book about Manson).  Same reaction now.

i started listening to the GOAT White Album when i was 3, Revolution 9 would creep me out on headphones and I'd yell until they'd put on something else

I've been following this thread with interest from the sidelines. Great stuff, particularly when the Stones entered the conversation.

Thread seems to have died down, so a bit off topic but I'm interested whether the die-hards think this cover is any good. I think Warren crushes She Said

Just reminded of the Off-Broadway musical of Sgt Peppers in 1974, a flop oniy outdone by  Frampton and The Bee Gees turkey of a movie and soundtrack sorta based on the same script a few years later

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

Just reminded of the Off-Broadway musical of Sgt Peppers in 1974, a flop oniy outdone by  Frampton and The Bee Gees turkey of a movie and soundtrack sorta based on the same script a few years later

I just listened to Sgt. Pepper's again last night.  Such a great album.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just listened to Sgt. Pepper's again last night.  Such a great album.

i meant the movie album, Aerosmith does a good job with Come Together

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i meant the movie album, Aerosmith does a good job with Come Together

I don't get why the Aerosmith version gets more airplay than the original. It isn't bad per se. But there's nothing new about it. They didn't do anything that the Beatles already did on the original. It's not like Proud Mary by Tina Turner, or All Along the Watchtower from Hendrix, which are covers, but completely different. They didn't bring anything new to the table with it.