Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

But these aren't excuses, I just laid out all the information to present a fuller picture of why "being thrown to the wolves" is a fair assessment.

Whether or not Peterman contributed to their turnover differential, every team has a few games where they pick apart a QB (I know we did), so it's not like the Chargers were the only team playing that week & got an unfair stat boost while everyone else took the week off. Hell, they even forced a TO from Tyrod, simply because their pass rush was that good with Bosa & Ingram. Our O-line was outmatched play after play...remember all the threads whining about their "mic'd up" stuff, with the Chargers players laughing & joking about how easy it was to tear apart our O-line?

The term “being thrown to the wolves” is the very definition of a subjective statement. That being said, I understand that the line between “reasons” and “excuses” is also subjective, and I’m not going to challenge a single one of your points. (But, I do feel it’s fair to point out that 5 out of 12 points of the Charger’s turnover differential came from Peterman)

But, all that being said, I will say this (as I have said many times on this forum), Peterman’s five picks only tell half the story. When Tyrod came out the second half, to the exact same defense (who did NOT turn vanilla), the Bills looked like a different team. I was there. After TC, preseason, and ten weeks of the regular season, Peterman did not have enough of a grasp of the offense to lead that team in an actual game. 

And yet, he had given Dennison, and McDermott reason to believe he had. No one threw him to the wolves. He went willingly. 

On 8/1/2018 at 6:08 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

the mods need to make sure this thread doesn't end up in the archives by mid October.  

there will be a lot of humble pie / eating of crow by then.  

this is so true.  

Who the hell is eating humble pie?

Anyone like the OP who thought Peterman would start?

It will be McCarron or Allen.

Isn't this obvious to everyone, yet?

On 8/1/2018 at 7:09 AM, JohnC said:

Are you equivocating? Didn't you say that he was going to start right from the start? :)

I still think Allen will start right away, but McCarron might, which I'm fine with.

Peterman won't.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, billsredneck1 said:

There is no odd man out. The same bozos that hate Nate are the same  ones that said a.j. couldn't beat out Dalton. Well guess what...one of the two will start. I hope we keep three because we  may need those options starting next week.

Soooooo.... you actually think Peterman still has a better chance of starting than Allen? :huh:

On 8/1/2018 at 11:24 AM, JohnC said:

Gunner is an all-star on this board. No one is beyond making misjudgments especially when one is  so willing to enter the ever shifting arena of opinions. His batting average is at the top, or near the top, in this league made up of opinionated speculators. The only problem I have with him is his over the pond accent. He needs to Americanize it more so he can be understood. He's a good fellow who drinks that dark drudge called Guinness. That is an ugly brew! :)

I thought Gunner was English, not Irish... doesn't that make him more of a Newcastle guy? 

Not that it matters much, but I like Guinness...

I like Newcastle...

I like Heineken...

I like Sierra Nevada...

I like Kirin Ichiban.

Nothing wrong with being a worldwide beer lover :beer:

On 8/1/2018 at 11:30 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

As I said before:  

My Prediction:  Peterman will be the 3rd QB to enter the 2nd preseason game and wont take any first team reps rest of preseason after the 2nd preseason game.  

Agreed 

7 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Absolutely they want him to get work vs. better competition, I just don't think it happens by the second game, with Allen as the first or second QB entering the ballgame.

Allen getting those early reps will depend on McCarron and Peterman's performances.

I think people underestimate this regime's steadfastness and patience.

If Allen jumps anybody on the depth chart assuming he's QB3 when preseason starts, I could see it happening by the third game.

No, not according to, ya know... our GM...

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/bills-gm-first-preseason-game-could-be-pivotal-for-rookie-qb-josh-allen

"I think you give everybody the fair amount of reps now. Right now we’re going with Nathan and A.J. with the majority of the ones and twos, but giving Josh at least a period a day – at least. And we’ll do that through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here. And again, right or wrong, we’re not going to say that by this day we have to have a starter, or by this day we’ll know if Josh is going to be the No. 1, the No. 2 or the No. 3. We’re just going to let these guys compete."

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I thought Gunner was English, not Irish... doesn't that make him more of a Newcastle guy?

Not that it matters much, but I like Guinness...

I like Newcastle...

I like Heineken...

I like Sierra Nevada...

I like Kirin Ichiban.

Nothing wrong with being a worldwide beer lover :beer:

Just because the Brits have an antipathy toward the Irish that doesn't mean that they don't relish their Hibernian beer. Not having an affinity for certain people doesn't exclude you from having a taste for their brew. :)

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I still think Allen will start right away, but McCarron might, which I'm fine with.

Are you aware that you are equivocating? :)

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No, not according to, ya know... our GM...

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/bills-gm-first-preseason-game-could-be-pivotal-for-rookie-qb-josh-allen

"I think you give everybody the fair amount of reps now. Right now we’re going with Nathan and A.J. with the majority of the ones and twos, but giving Josh at least a period a day – at least. And we’ll do that through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here. And again, right or wrong, we’re not going to say that by this day we have to have a starter, or by this day we’ll know if Josh is going to be the No. 1, the No. 2 or the No. 3. We’re just going to let these guys compete."

I've read this before and I wasn't talking practice reps, I was talking game reps, with Allen as the first or second QB to take the field.

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Watch the interception Peterman threw in the playoff game last year.

The ball was thrown way late, but it was thrown so weakly.  He just doesn't seem to have an NFL arm.

Yea, everyone is saying the Peterman has a noodle arm, but his legs really didn't get set on that play.  I want to see his zip in pre-season to see if the off-season program helped him.  I like his quick release, and I like his football cognitive mindset.  He's not afraid to throw it.  Regardless of what the haters say, we haven't seen enough plays to write him off.  The coach's must see something, because they've could've let him go and no one would've questioned it.  I bet we could name a dozen great QBs with average arms (Montana, Griese, Tarkenton come to mind).  Let's see how he plays in August.  

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Always been fine with McCarron if he wins the job, I just think (and prefer) Allen will end up winning it because he'll just progress and outshine the other 2 guys.

Ultimately, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Allen sitting for a little while. I think the speed of the game will catch up to him in the preseason and McD will opt for the safer choice in AJM at least for now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

So we should definitely base what might happen to Peterman and McCarron off of how KC's QB situation played out?

KC's handling of their QB situation doesn't serve as a rulebook on when a switch from one QB to another is to be made for every team, because the circumstances are different.

We know that Josh Allen was brought in to take the reins at QB eventually, the goal of every team who newly drafts a QB in the early rounds is to play its QB, with the best case scenario being sooner rather than later.

You can turn to Mahomes' situation in KC, but it doesn't do away with the fact that how soon Allen is inserted in the lineup, is at least partly predicated on how both McCarron and Peterman perform.

Lastly, you mention how Allen will take over as soon as he is 'ready', while making mention of Mahomes' deal in KC; are you insinuating that Mahomes was given the keys at the correct time? Because from early camp reports, it sounds as though Mahomes is struggling mightily.

Alex Smith may have been a legit MVP candidate last season, but he was also a seven-year vet upon signing with KC, who was able to get KC out of the first round of the playoffs only once in four tries as QB, and would be turning 34 years old.

I think this was more an understanding by the Chiefs org. that Smith could take them but so far and a moving away from him in favor of a younger, much more dynamic QB, versus Mahomes being absolutely ready for the moment.

As I stated earlier, I think this regime is far more patient and steadfast in how they do things then people would like to believe. I don't believe they will insert Allen into the mix unless they feel he's absolutely ready to enter, but I also don't believe they would abruptly disrupt the flow of things possibly to the detriment of the team for the sake of finally showcasing Josh Allen to the world.

We more or less agree with one difference. I believe as soon as they think Allen is ready he will play. It isn’t about showcasing him as much as his development. The KC situation is just an example of how teams handle top 10 picks. KC was ready to move on from a guy playing really good football in hopes of getting great play. That’s the same thing that the Bills are trying to do with Allen. The difference is that McCarron/Peterman will NEVER play at the level Alex Smith was. If they were ready to move on I can’t imagine that the Bills would hesitate to move on from worse QB play.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll point to KC last year. Alex Smith was a legit MVP candidate. He is not there. Neither Peterman nor McCarron is in that league. Teams are looking for their guy to play. The Bills aren’t evaluating 3 guys. They are preparing Allen. This is way different than the last time 3 QBs we’re battling for the Bills job. They have already decided on the guy.

Allen’s timeline isn’t impacted by the placeholders in front of him. He is the guy as soon as he is ready. The Bills intentionally left  the path clear. They didn’t get a temporary guy until everyone else did. They don’t want any sort of controversy. They wanted to bring him along without roadblocks. 

So we should definitely base what might happen to Peterman and McCarron off of how KC's QB situation played out?

KC's handling of their QB situation doesn't serve as a rulebook on when a switch from one QB to another is to be made for every team, because the circumstances are different.

We know that Josh Allen was brought in to take the reins at QB eventually, the goal of every team who newly drafts a QB in the early rounds is to play its QB, with the best case scenario being sooner rather than later.

You can turn to Mahomes' situation in KC, but it doesn't do away with the fact that how soon Allen is inserted in the lineup, is at least partly predicated on how both McCarron and Peterman perform.

Lastly, you mention how Allen will take over as soon as he is 'ready', while making mention of Mahomes' deal in KC; are you insinuating that Mahomes was given the keys at the correct time? Because from early camp reports, it sounds as though Mahomes is struggling mightily.

Alex Smith may have been a legit MVP candidate last season, but he was also a seven-year vet upon signing with KC, who was able to get KC out of the first round of the playoffs only once in four tries as QB, and would be turning 34 years old.

I think this was more an understanding by the Chiefs org. that Smith could take them but so far and a moving away from him in favor of a younger, much more dynamic QB, versus Mahomes being absolutely ready for the moment.

As I stated earlier, I think this regime is far more patient and steadfast in how they do things than people would like to believe. I don't believe they will insert Allen into the mix unless they feel he's absolutely ready to enter, but I also don't believe they would abruptly disrupt the flow of things possibly to the detriment of the team for the sake of finally showcasing Josh Allen to the world.

First , I want to say that I am an Allen supporter ,before the draft , during the draft , and now. I don't think they are going to rush him  and I believe that he will see starting  after 8- 10 games if at all this year.. Secondly ,I think that Peterman would be a better backup than AJM , because of the football IQ. and AJ,s proclivity to want to be #1. Not that Peterman doesn't  want that but Peterman i think would be a better "Reich "  to Allen  than AJ.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We more or less agree with one difference. I believe as soon as they think Allen is ready he will play. It isn’t about showcasing him as much as his development. The KC situation is just an example of how teams handle top 10 picks. KC was ready to move on from a guy playing really good football in hopes of getting great play. That’s the same thing that the Bills are trying to do with Allen. The difference is that McCarron/Peterman will NEVER play at the level Alex Smith was. If they were ready to move on I can’t imagine that the Bills would hesitate to move on from worse QB play.

My only issue with this is that it sounds as though you believe that the perceived readiness of Allen, would trump everything else going around him and I just don't believe that's how this regime operates.

The timing of the move, I think, would have to coincide with the direction the team as a whole was moving in at the time.

13 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

My only issue with this is that it sounds as though you believe that the perceived readiness of Allen, would trump everything else going around him and I just don't believe that's how this regime operates.

The timing of the move, I think, would have to coincide with the direction the team as a whole was moving in at the time.

I 100% believe that. I have no idea when Allen will be ready though. It could be week 1 and it could be next year. I don’t think Peterman or McCarron have any impact on Allen. 

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I 100% believe that. I have no idea when Allen will be ready though. It could be week 1 and it could be next year. I don’t think Peterman or McCarron have any impact on Allen. 

YES !!!

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Absolutely they want him to get work vs. better competition, I just don't think it happens by the second game, with Allen as the first or second QB entering the ballgame.

Allen getting those early reps will depend on McCarron and Peterman's performances.

I think people underestimate this regime's steadfastness and patience. 

If Allen jumps anybody on the depth chart assuming he's QB3 when preseason starts, I could see it happening by the third game.

8 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I've read this before and I wasn't talking practice reps, I was talking game reps, with Allen as the first or second QB to take the field.

Dude, you're all over the place. :doh:

You say you've seen Beane's quote where he states, very directly, that Allen's going to be the 3rd QB in the depth/rep "through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here."

I mean that's Beane very directly saying that, in fact, Allen's 1st preseason performance matters and if he plays really well in that game they might give him more significant reps than previously.

He says absolutely nothing about Peterman or McCarron there.

I think you overestimate your ability to distinguish what is said from what is meant.

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Dude, you're all over the place. :doh:

You say you've seen Beane's quote where he states, very directly, that Allen's going to be the 3rd QB in the depth/rep "through the first preseason game, and then we’ll adjust from there and decide, Are we going to keep it the same? Are we going to give him more reps? Or are we going to give him less? Everything is earned here."

I mean that's Beane very directly saying that, in fact, Allen's 1st preseason performance matters and if he plays really well in that game they might give him more significant reps than previously.

He says absolutely nothing about Peterman or McCarron there.

I think you overestimate your ability to distinguish what is said from what is meant.

Lol. Pretty sure I know exactly what was said.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3602072

"People overestimate this regime's steadfastment and commitment"

Please don't overestimate that steadfastment and commitment are good things. How about.. "flexibility when their master plan doesn't work"