Why Is Our Government Putting People In Cages?

Just now, OJ Tom said:

So the US population won't stand for keep them, but also won't stand for returning them? And it's because of morals?

It doesn't have to be "precise". 

I asked specifically about unaccompanied minors.  What do you do with unaccompanied minors?  The US population at this point will not, IMO, stand for dropping off them off by the busload in Mexico surrounded by possible traffickers without their families around.

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

DNA

Also solves the problem of whether children are really traveling with their parents

I wonder at the cost in both money and time, of doing DNA PCR on every familial unit caught in the US illegally.

I don't have an accurate estimation.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I asked specifically about unaccompanied minors.  What do you do with unaccompanied minors?  The US population at this point will not, IMO, stand for dropping off them off by the busload in Mexico surrounded by possible traffickers without their families around.

no, you didn't.

19 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Do you leave children alone on the Mexican side of the border with strange adults and possible traffickers? 

Unaccompanied minors would be left with Mexican officials.

And I think the public would be reasonably accepting of them being returned. But of course there will be some complaints.

Edited by OJ Tom

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

I would like to know what solution would be satisfactory in handling illegal immigration of unaccompanied children, in your opinion.

20 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Do you leave children alone on the Mexican side of the border with strange adults and possible traffickers?

Just now, OJ Tom said:

no, you didn't.

And I think the public would be reasonably accepting of them being returned. But of course there will be some complaints.

Read more.  Post less.

9 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

You take photos and names, put them in a database, and if the same person is caught again, say with a different group of children, you detain them.

If they are children not accompanied by an adult you return them immediately to Mexico.

So your proposal is to take their picture, assume they're giving you their actual name to put in a database, and letting them go with children that may or may not be theirs, on the promise that they won't ignore our laws, our borders, and our sovereignty a second time?

9Cfrqoq.png

14 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So your proposal is to take their picture, assume they're giving you their actual name to put in a database, and letting them go with children that may or may not be theirs, on the promise that they won't ignore our laws, our borders, and our sovereignty a second time?

No. 

Take the photos of them and the kids with them. If they have  some kind of documentation of their identity, you use that, If not just the photo and whatever name they have given. Send them all back. If the person is caught again, you search with facial recognition.

If the person shows up, you look to see who the person was with before. If it was a different group of kids, you detain the person, and investigate. If it's the same kids, or the person doesn't come up. You return them to the border. 

Edited by OJ Tom

27 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I know, this can be complicated.  At some point you have to get some cooperation from the government of Mexico and Central American countries. That should include getting Mexico to stop allowing people to pass through their country on their way to the U.S.  Right now they're laughing at us. 

45 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Read more, and don't post at all.

The jokes aren't as funny when you repeat them after me.  Who would've thought the guy who named himself after another poster on here had a creativity problem.

46 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I know, this can be complicated.  At some point you have to get some cooperation from the government of Mexico and Central American countries. That should include getting Mexico to stop allowing people to pass through their country on their way to the U.S.  Right now they're laughing at us. 

Exactly.  This is a problem that needs to be approached by several different avenues to be truly solved.  

We simply cannot bear to be the protectors of non-citizens who come here illegally.  We cannot act in their best welfare, because they are not citizens of our country.  

This is what happens when Americans get it in their heads that the USA can save everyone.  We cannot.  These people who are citizens of a foreign country should look to their own governments.

But the solution isn't bussing children into trafficking areas because "America First." That is not the country I am proud to be a part of.  Furthermore, that's not a policy I will vote for.

But how do you force another sovereign nation to act in the best interests of their own citizens?  Do we invade and set up a new regime?  

Edited by BringBackOrton

Just now, keepthefaith said:

Diplomatic engagement. 

The Mexican government, for all intents and purposes, has seen fit to throw their hands up in regards to this problem.  When do we decide the difference between "can't" and "won't" is negligible?

What can we offer Mexico that will entice them to actually contribute to this solution?

15 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The Mexican government, for all intents and purposes, has seen fit to throw their hands up in regards to this problem.  When do we decide the difference between "can't" and "won't" is negligible?

What can we offer Mexico that will entice them to actually contribute to this solution?

Mexico will elect a new President next week.  Fresh start.  We can certainly pressure Mexico economically if we want to.   Discourage tourism, trade (which Trump is already doing) and make it tougher for people to send money back home.  On the more cooperative level, Mexico has done a terrible job of developing their own economy.  They are rich in natural resources and have a very large low cost labor force with the largest market (us) in their back yard.  We could probably help them to develop their economy with a partnership of sorts. 

4 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Mexico will elect a new President next week.  Fresh start.  We can certainly pressure Mexico economically if we want to.   Discourage tourism, trade (which Trump is already doing) and make it tougher for people to send money back home.  On the more cooperative level, Mexico has done a terrible job of developing their own economy.  They are rich in natural resources and have a very large low cost labor force with the largest market (us) in their back yard.  We could probably help them to develop their economy with a partnership of sorts. 

Notice how few of the migrants being discussed are fro Mexico?   But if Lopez Obradors wins, that trend will change. 

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Actually, if Obradors wins, I think we'll see our Southern border militarized.

For very good reason. I can’t believe Mexicans would risk falling back into economic despair.