Valu vs The Home Depot

Another Fan

Where I am The Home Depot pretty much monopolizes hardware equipment.  I saw the Valu chain a bit driving around WNY.  Mom and pop hardware stores I suppose are a thing of the past but it looks like this franchise tries to give that feel

Edited by Another Fan

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I live less than a mile from HD HQ. Bought our house from an exec there. They own Atlanta much like Coke, but Ace Hardware always has the best service. 

Just had an Ace hardware open near us on Memorial downtown. And it's a nice one! Love going there instead of HD or Lowes when I just need simple things.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just had an Ace hardware open near us on Memorial downtown. And it's a nice one! Love going there instead of HD or Lowes when I just need simple things.

They are awesome. Unlike a smarmy car dealer who swarms you when you set foot on the lot, you walk in the door, they ask what you need and take you right to it! 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

They are awesome. Unlike a smarmy car dealer who swarms you when you set foot on the lot, you walk in the door, they ask what you need and take you right to it! 

For real! It's like being back at the Ace on French Rd in Cheektowaga!

Just now, Augie said:

Hmmm, THAT would be unexpected. 

I was a weird size that was required for some equipment we were installing. 31/64" or something similar. 1/2" was just a little to big a hole, and 3/8" was not big enough. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

I was a weird size that was required for some equipment we were installing. 31/64" or something similar. 1/2" was just a little to big a hole, and 3/8" was not big enough. 

Anyone who makes 31/64” needs to be slapped! 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Anyone who makes 31/64” needs to be slapped! 

Tell that to a machinist or millwright.  There are drill bits you can only imagine.  Actually, based on your statement, I doubt you can.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Where I am The Home Depot pretty much monopolizes hardware equipment.  I saw the Valu chain a bit driving around WNY.  Mom and pop hardware stores I suppose are a thing of the past but it looks like this franchise tries to give that feel

The only "beef" I have with Valu is the fact they have a limited paint/stain selection.

30 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Tell that to a machinist or millwright.  There are drill bits you can only imagine.

I’m sure that’s clearly true, but does it have to be? Yes, I’m sure there are reasons..........

Personally, I’d round off more.  Maybe 31/64” isn’t absolutely necessary. So close to a simple 1/2. Can you make THAT work?  ?

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Newsflash Sarsaparilla:

Hardware stores in 2018 aren't fuzzy warm sunshine and lollipops places.

1 minute ago, Ifartalot said:

Newsflash Sarsaparilla:

Hardware stores in 2018 aren't fuzzy warm sunshine and lollipops places.

Why not? Ace Hardware does it in a way others could emulate. I like the mom and pop places, but obviously they have limitations. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Why not? Ace Hardware does it in a way others could emulate. I like the mom and pop places, but obviously they have limitations. 

.....and maybe they'll ruffle your hair, give you an "attaboy" and a sucker to go too.

6 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

.....and maybe they'll ruffle your hair, give you an "attaboy" and a sucker to go too.

Keep your hands off my head....unless it’s a scalp massage. I’m good with that! I can keep the sucker for my grandson. It's all good. Nothing wrong with a little customer service. For minimal purchases I will always go to the high service place. 

Edit: that’s actuallly not true. I prefer an Ace Hardware, but HD is more convenient, so I go there usually. 

Edited by Augie