[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'll tell you the same thing that I say to Plexmd: A plan has been established and it is being followed. There is no other way to succeed other than to be brave enough to follow it. 

What if ya got the wrong guy trying to execute that plan behind the bench? These team has shown absolutely zero reasons for me  to believe Housley is an average to above coach..all he has done is earn points at a pretty consistent 37% 110 games, and one 10 game outlier. 

How long do we give him..to Christmas next year in another lost year? and then  we hear .."well this is a young team, not deep enough, we got hose two first rounders in Rochester that will bolster us in 2021..and in 2022 Uka Pekka will put us over the top for 8th place. At some point, this fan base deserves some actual results..not process and plans

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd love to know why it's better for some but not for others.  Nylander at 20 is better off in the AHL while Mittelstadt (also 20) and Thompson (21) are better off in the NHL.  I don't mean to claim that Nylander should be here now, but that explanation really doesn't add up to me.  If anything, he should be the most familiar with the Sabre system (and I don't mean that stench of losing) of the three.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s becsuse Nylander never showed the passion and tenacity that earned Mitts and Thompson the extended look in the show. Also, I think Mitts and Thompson are tweeners in the sense that their development wouldn’t be better served in the minors. Whereas it was essential for Nylander who never should have gone straight to the pros in his draft year. Shoulda stayed in junior that extra season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

All well and good. But we need to accept the fact that the building will be half full. And when it is full, it will be half opposing team fans. That’s gonna wear on the players, too, and Botts will have to do a better selling job to them than to us fans. 

The fans have every right to be frustrated and feel aggrieved. But the best thing that the GM can do is make hockey decisions that will not only improve the team but make it a serious team in the not too distant future. 

The Buffalo fans in both sports have dealt with a lot of bad play. On the other hand when they see their teams playing hard and they see some progress they respond. Any fan that watches Jack and Dahlin have to be excited not only with their play but with the near future. It's tough but it is not without hope. At least that is how I see it. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s becsuse Nylander never showed the passion and tenacity that earned Mitts and Thompson the extended look in the show. Also, I think Mitts and Thompson are tweeners in the sense that their development wouldn’t be better served in the minors. Whereas it was essential for Nylander who never should have gone straight to the pros in his draft year. Shoulda stayed in junior that extra season.

I'm not so sure that this type of player actually exists, the guy who doesn't have all that development to gain by spending time in the minors.  Obviously there are the elites of the world, but it's a very short list.  Mitts and Thompson aren't anywhere near it.  I'm sure with Mitts some promises were made when he signed, so that is what it is.  Sadly, he's probably the one who could probably use a decent stretch of controlling play down at that level.

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The fans have every right to be frustrated and feel aggrieved. But the best thing that the GM can do is make hockey decisions that will not only improve the team but make it a serious team in the not too distant future. 

The Buffalo fans in both sports have dealt with a lot of bad play. On the other hand when they see their teams playing hard and they see some progress they respond. Any fan that watches Jack and Dahlin have to be excited not only with their play but with the near future. It's tough but it is not without hope. At least that is how I see it. 

Oh, I’m excited by Jack and Dahlin’s play. 

But as as excited as I am abou their play, I am just as skeptical about how much of their primes will be wasted in this never ending rebuild. Look at Risto, for example. He is six years into his rebuild already. It goes by fast. How much patience can we expect these guys to have?

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm not so sure that this type of player actually exists, the guy who doesn't have all that development to gain by spending time in the minors.  Obviously there are the elites of the world, but it's a very short list.  Mitts and Thompson aren't anywhere near it.  I'm sure with Mitts some promises were made when he signed, so that is what it is.  Sadly, he's probably the one who could probably use a decent stretch of controlling play down at that level.

Fair enough.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I'd love to know why it's better for some but not for others.  Nylander at 20 is better off in the AHL while Mittelstadt (also 20) and Thompson (21) are better off in the NHL.  I don't mean to claim that Nylander should be here now, but that explanation really doesn't add up to me.  If anything, he should be the most familiar with the Sabre system (and I don't mean that stench of losing) of the three.

Differing players are at differing levels of development and similar ages.

Mittelstadt would carve up the AHL, face little diversity, and not grow as a player.  So he's in the NHL.

Nylander is not ready for that yet.  So he's in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Mittelstadt would carve up the AHL, face little diversity, and not grow as a player.  So he's in the NHL.

One of the advantages of Nylander and Guhle being in the AHL right now rather than being with the Sabres is that they both would be getting much more playing time. In addition, by playing at the lower level both of them would be getting more opportunities to play in different situations such as the PP and penalty kill. If not sometime this year I'm sure that each of them will be up with the big club  at the latest by next year. 

According to Paul Hamilton of WGR he stated that the organization felt that Mittelstadt was beyond the AHL level and would have gotten less development playing in the minors compared to the NHL (as you also noted). 

man, will the Isle evr lose again? Another banner night for the Sabres playoff hope last night..seems like the teams we chasin just never lose anymore. I know, none of that matters if the Sabres dont win..but just looking in the AM.

BTW, does that 4 point rule also work if you out by 4 points or more at your bye?

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

man, will the Isle evr lose again? Another banner night for the Sabres playoff hope last night..seems like the teams we chasin just never lose anymore. I know, none of that matters if the Sabres dont win..but just looking in the AM.

BTW, does that 4 point rule also work if you out by 4 points or more at your bye?

Attached is a 13 minute link from a WGR interview with John Shannon from Sportsnet. At the end of the interview he talks about where the Sabres are and their near future. His view and perspective regarding the Sabres mirror my view and perspective. My advice to you is not to let the struggles of the present cloud the upbeat prospects of the not too distant future. Trust the process!

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/01-16-sportsnets-john-shannon-howard-and-jeremy

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Carve up the AHL the same way he carved up the NCAA?  Seeing as how it didn't happen at the lower level, I'd say it's a pretty tall order for it to happen at the higher level.  But let's pretend for a second that he would be some sort of juggernaut down there, he's at a point right now where a little stretch of that down at that level could actually do wonders for his head.

But anyway, as I said earlier, I'm sure they made some guarantees to him and to back out now wouldn't sit well with the agents and prospective signees.

2 hours ago, eball said:

If the title of this thread isn't going to be updated with the current record and next game can it just be changed to "Sabres and NHL 2018-19?"

Thanks.

26cornerblitz usually updates things but he hasn’t been around in a while. 

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don’t see the Sabres catching the Isles, Bruins or Leafs. The Isles are now in 3rd in the Metro. They pushed the Pens back into the last wildcard spot, while Montreal is sitting in the 1st wildcard spot. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2018/wildcard

Montreal now has a 5 point lead on the Sabres. Pittsburgh has a 4pt lead.

And Carolina is nipping at our heels now, too (3pts back).

We do have 2 games in hand on Montreal though. So they are not out of reach yet. 

Like you said though, none of this matters if buffalo doesn’t start winning. 

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

No, that only applies to Halloween.  So, we're good. 

Good! On both accounts. 

As much as I don’t like it, I did kind of get why they gave Pilut a night off. I thought he was looking a bit overwhelmed at times in his own end, and it looked like other teams were noticing because they were putting heavy pressure on him in the d zone. 

And last time they gave him a night off it really seemed to do him good because he came back and had a great couple of games in a row. 

Plus you can’t keep Beaulieu scratched forever (You can say he shouldn’t even be on the team but IMO that’s not really on Housley. Botterill sets the roster). 

But i am very glad it was only a 1 game break for Pilut, and only 1 game in the lineup for Beaulieu (he was awful against Edmonton). 

I am also glad to see Ullmark getting the start. Hutton has had some bad luck lately, and seems to be fighting the puck a bit and Ullmark has been the better of the 2 recently. I’m glad housley isn’t forcing it with Hutton. 

This is a crucial 2 points against one of the best teams in the NHL. We need our best lineup in tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is a crucial 2 points against one of the best teams in the NHL. We need our best lineup in tonight. 

Then shoot Scandella to the moon and never let him set foot on the ice again. Hunwick has to be better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Carve up the AHL the same way he carved up the NCAA?  Seeing as how it didn't happen at the lower level, I'd say it's a pretty tall order for it to happen at the higher level.  But let's pretend for a second that he would be some sort of juggernaut down there, he's at a point right now where a little stretch of that down at that level could actually do wonders for his head.

But anyway, as I said earlier, I'm sure they made some guarantees to him and to back out now wouldn't sit well with the agents and prospective signees.

Per the bold text, I think this is a bit unfair to Mittelstadt. In college, he had the misfortune of playing for Don Lucia, a conservative coach who believed that freshmen shouldn’t get big, unprotected minutes in lieu of veteran upperclassmen who “earned” more minutes. In spite of that, he was still second on his team in scoring. He also missed three games playing in the World Juniors, where he dominated his international peer group. With their season on the line vs. Penn State to get a birth in the NCAA tourney, Lucia let Mitts play and he had a damned good two games with five points. His line was the only one to do anything. 

No, he wasn’t an Eichel (how many college players are?), but he played very well at the college level and dominated at times.

• Like (+1) 2