[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

2 hours ago, eball said:

I will be there, and for once perhaps we will actually meet up!  Section 105 -- you have my cell.

I'm in 110 I think.  I'd have to check the tickets to be sure.  I wear what I'm pretty sure no one else has, a Mike Grier jersey.

Edited by shrader

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I knew Risto had a hard shot, but not 107.5 mph hard.  That's right up there with about as fast as anyone can shoot (with modern sticks that is).

I am in favor of any move Botterill can make to help us get into the playoffs this year, as it's been a long time and I'd love to see a Sabres playoff game again.

But I agree the future must be the priority and I do not want to see any move that could compromise the long term vision of the organization. 

GMTM set us back several years with that sort of thinking.

We have endured a lot of pain, going back to Lindy Ruff's last couple years as HC.

We can suffer a little bit more, so to speak.

The team has zero secondary scoring and is still several key players away from being where we want to be; those players aren't going to get here in a trade deadline move anyway.

Murray's big money deals for Moulson and Okposo were meant to jolt the franchise and catapult us forward. What they did is create a situation that handcuffed us and made us less flexible in adding to the roster. The Lehner deal also made no sense because we gave up a first round pick for a goalie that Ottawa was looking to replace. The moral of the Murray era was big talk and a lot of less than thoughtful actions get you nowhere other than having to go back and trying to rectify the previous mistakes. Just think how far advanced this team would be if the more thoughtful and strategic Botteril was the GM instead of Murray? It starts with knowing what you, where you are and what you want to be. Our current GM has a grasp of those issues. 

3 hours ago, eball said:

I will be there, and for once perhaps we will actually meet up!  Section 105 -- you have my cell.

If Plenz starts talking crazy trade talk just politely listen and then sternly say no. Stubborn people are usually very difficult to contain. You have to be both forceful and kind. :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Murray's big money deals for Moulson and Okposo were meant to jolt the franchise and catapult us forward. What they did is create a situation that handcuffed us and made us less flexible in adding to the roster. The Lehner deal also made no sense because we gave up a first round pick for a goalie that Ottawa was looking to replace. The moral of the Murray era was big talk and a lot of less than thoughtful actions get you nowhere other than having to go back and trying to rectify the previous mistakes. Just think how far advanced this team would be if the more thoughtful and strategic Botteril was the GM instead of Murray? It starts with knowing what you, where you are and what you want to be. Our current GM has a grasp of those issues. 

I think Murray's biggest sin may have been that it appeared that he didn't have any interest whatsoever in building up the blue line.  Beyond Guhle, he typically went forward early in drafts. He made only one single trade with defense in mind and that was Gorges, another case similar to Moulson/Okposo where the game was moving away from that type of player.  The rest of his deals either moved one D for another, or purged any young depth that may have been in the system.  And don't get me started on the bargain bin shopping he did each year for the blueline (Falk/Franson/Fedun/Carlo I'mTooLazyTooFigureOutHowToSpellHisLastName).  He very clearly wanted to build from the front first, which will never work unless you've already got a stud or two on defense.

I don't really fault the Moulson one though, at least in terms of handcuffing them financially.  Up until right around now, they were never a team that was approaching the cap ceiling, so his money never really got in the way.  The cap will start to get interesting after this year, but that deal's off the books at that point.  Okposo is a different story, but I think they'll figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Plenz starts talking crazy trade talk just politely listen and then sternly say no. Stubborn people are usually very difficult to contain. You have to be both forceful and kind. :ph34r:

Best way to shut me up is buy me a beer!!!

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think Murray's biggest sin may have been that it appeared that he didn't have any interest whatsoever in building up the blue line.  Beyond Guhle, he typically went forward early in drafts. He made only one single trade with defense in mind and that was Gorges, another case similar to Moulson/Okposo where the game was moving away from that type of player.  The rest of his deals either moved one D for another, or purged any young depth that may have been in the system.  And don't get me started on the bargain bin shopping he did each year for the blueline (Falk/Franson/Fedun/Carlo I'mTooLazyTooFigureOutHowToSpellHisLastName).  He very clearly wanted to build from the front first, which will never work unless you've already got a stud or two on defense.

I don't really fault the Moulson one though, at least in terms of handcuffing them financially.  Up until right around now, they were never a team that was approaching the cap ceiling, so his money never really got in the way.  The cap will start to get interesting after this year, but that deal's off the books at that point.  Okposo is a different story, but I think they'll figure it out.

I have a slightly different take on Murray than you. I agree with you that he can't be faulted associated with for the tremendous challenge he faced when he took over the operation. However, when you take over a depleted organization you have to have a plan/roadmap as to how you want to rebuild. In the NHL as in most pro sports you do that through the draft. You then have to follow up with player development. Those two approaches have to be married. You can't have a short timeline. You have to have a vision which I don't think the brash former GH had. That weakness was exhibited in the Lehner deal. He gave up a valuable first round pick for a goalie who was an extra goalie on the Ottawa roster. The bombastic GM was enamored with him because he fit in with his concept of the importance of having a big goalie. 

When you assume control of a bottom-feeding franchise you shouldn't worry about positional needs because you have needs everywhere. You take the best players, period! If you compare the Botterill approach to the Murray approach to franchise building it is my sense that our current GM is much more conceptual and thoughtful than the more reactive former GM. 

What the Sabres need is the same thing that the Bills need: Stability and follow-through. It's a cliché but I believe in it: Trust the process!

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Best way to shut me up is buy me a beer!!!

It's difficult to talk when you are gulping!:)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

It only mentions two prospects, so sadly there really isn't all that much information.  Well, at least I hope that's what it is as opposed to there only being two guys worth mentioning down there.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Im not nearly as good at this as 26CB, but I’m trying to fill the void.... (btw, where is he at?) 

TY..is @26CornerBlitz been sent a bat signal? 

I see in a later thread Sammy is playing tonight..but man look at that top line...whoa nelly we got us trouble, spelled with a capital T,,right here in  River City

• Like (+1) 1

Love the entire team effort so far tonight, and the battle/compete level form everyone. They’ve been pretty relentless on their forecheck and in puck battles. 

Love that hat we are seeing some secondary scoring, too. 

And as im typing they score #5!  Woo! 

I love it when buffalo has games like this where the whole team is just firing on all cylinders and guys are playing with confidence/swagger. 

Its so fun to watch.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

okay, i have set up the double play now for the Islanders-Hurricanes game/Trump address. Sabres spit this i giving up on the season anyway

Okay, Carolina wins in regulation which I guess is good..but that's 5 in a row for them and we play them next, but at least no 3 point game

Now i have on the Habs-Wings game..habs up by 1, but going on the PK

Edited by plenzmd1

The team finally supported Hutton with some goals. 

The Mittelstadt goal was pretty. He made a nifty move and then followed his shot. 

Tage Thompson played a good game. He shoots a lot, and that is what he needs to do. In the not too distant future he is really going to be not only very good but fun to watch. 

I said it before that Pilut is not going back to Rochester. He can skate and he can shoot. 

I'm not sure if Reinhart got any points but I thought he played really well, especially for someone who was recently sick. He made a lot of nifty passes that weren't converted. 

Jersey simply ran out of gas. Those long flights from out west can exhaust you.

The Sabres won a game that they should have won. That's what they need to do to stay in the playoff hunt. 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The team finally supported Hutton with some goals. 

The Mittelstadt goal was pretty. He made a nifty move and then followed his shot.

Tage Thompson played a good game. He shoots a lot, and that is what he needs to do. In the not too distant future he is really going to be not only very good but fun to watch. 

I said it before that Pilut is not going back to Rochester. He can skate and he can shoot. 

I'm not sure if Reinhart got any points but I thought he played really well, especially for someone who was recently sick. He made a lot of nifty passes that weren't converted. 

Jersey simply ran out of gas. Those long flights from out west can exhaust you.

The Sabres won a game that they should have won. That's what they need to do to stay in the playoff hunt. 

Yeah that was a beauty by Mitts. He has some great hands. He did a good job following through on his rebound. 

As pretty as that goal was, I think my favorite part was seeing Dahlin’s reaction/celebration. He was just so genuinely happy for his roomie.

I love to see these young guys, that are the future of our team, forming such tight bonds. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah that was a beauty by Mitts. He has some great hands. He did a good job following through on his rebound. 

As pretty as that goal was, I think my favorite part was seeing Dahlin’s reaction/celebration. He was just so genuinely happy for his roomie.

I love to see these young guys, that are the future of our team, forming such tight bonds. 

Attached is a WGR link of an interview of Botterill on the Shoop and Bulldog Show. He makes it clear that he is committed to developing the young players. I consider him a terrific GM. He is a smart guy and a strategic thinker. This is a 14 min. segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/botterill-key-our-success-here-developing-our-young-players

• Like (+1) 1

Few thoughts about tonight's game:

Sabres finally played a complete game.  They outplayed Jersey in all 3 periods.  Buffalo has a had a lot of fast starts and strong first periods but have looked sluggish as the game wears on which is especially strange for such a young team.  There is no reason these young legs should be slowing down as the game wears on (are we playing the top lines too much??).

I saw more sustained pressure tonight than probably in the last 10 games combined.  They won loose pucks, cycled well, forced turnovers in the offensive zone, and were generally all over Jersey.  They STOPPED firing the puck on net on dump-ins (which is just asinine) and started laying the puck in the opposite corner which makes a clean breakout much harder than giving the puck to the goaltender to set up.  However, all that pressure produced no goals which has concerned me all season.

- Skinner scores on the rush

- Middlestadt scores on the rush

- McCabe scores on the odd man rush

- Smith scores on the rush

- MAYBE the Pilut goal can be attributed to sustained pressure.

I don't have the stats, but most of our offensive is coming off the rush from strong individual efforts from what I've seen.  Its not like they're a great transition team generating odd man rushes.  Eichel and Skinner sniping corners from crazy angles is awesome but I'd like to see goals manufactured and a team with a plan once they establish a presence in the offensive zone.

Dahlin, while silky smooth with the puck, makes some serious WTF decisions.  Giving up a breakaway to a guy that he was standing 5 feet away from was a nice one.  Pair him with a stay at home vet like Bogosian until he's at least old enough to drink. 

Reinhart had some sick feeds.  Rodrigues and Sheary must be thinking about baseball, their grandmas, or both because they just can't finish. 

Tage played great.  Forced turnovers, had some highlight reel scoring chances.  He needs to keep his feet moving like he did tonight and he will score a lot of goals.  If I'm Housely, I have Tage firing 100 pucks every practice from the Ovechkin/Stamkos power play one-timer spot at the top of the circle. 

Hutton played well tonight and the Sabres actually gave him some goal support.  Glad he's ended his losing streak.

• Like (+1) 6