77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think now it will be Nate. I'd still go Josh I think but I can see the reasons for both.  

About where I sit, but I still lean a little towards it still being Allen.

There's more of a reason to continue this cat and mouse game for Allen than there is for Peterman.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sounds like McDermott truly doesn't know yet.

But also sounds like it'll end up being Peterman.

Interesting that Lorax genuinely seems to not know.

• Like (+1) 1

It is going to be AJ McCarron.

And I for one and excited, and it's all about that game he had last night!

If he can add around 100 yards passing to last night's game, keep the same number of passing TD's, double his completion percentage, take 4 fewer sacks, and throw zero interceptions, he will be able to match the performance of the great EJ Manuel!

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It is going to be AJ McCarron.

And I for one and excited, and it's all about that game he had last night!

If he can add around 100 yards passing to last night's game, keep the same number of passing TD's, double his completion percentage, take 4 fewer sacks, and throw zero interceptions, he will be able to match the performance of the great EJ Manuel!

You mean the second half he had last against a non starter defense?  All three of our QBs have looked good in the second half and all three bad in the first.  Likely our o-line vs a starting defense in large part.

Start anyone but JA in weeks 1-4 and thru decide from there.  Our o-line is criminal negligence.  We are unlikely to win those games regardless of qb so don't risk the kid until we better know what the o-line can rise up to.

6 minutes ago, sleeby said:

You mean the second half he had last against a non starter defense?  All three of our QBs have looked good in the second half and all three bad in the first.  Likely our o-line vs a starting defense in large part.

Start anyone but JA in weeks 1-4 and thru decide from there.  Our o-line is criminal negligence.  We are unlikely to win those games regardless of qb so don't risk the kid until we better know what the o-line can rise up to.

TheFunPolice would have to arrest you for missing such obvious sarcasm :lol:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think now it will be Nate. I'd still go Josh I think but I can see the reasons for both.  

I agree with you at this point.  Overall, I would have to say that Nate has earned it.

I do wonder if part of the hesitation to announce is that McDermott bought what his OC was selling last fall and got made to look foolish on a national scale.

But Nate has apparently taken a big step between last preseason and this.

7 hours ago, McBean said:

Nate starts with Josh taking over week 5 at home against Tennessee.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This makes sense.

Especially after an 0-4/1-3 type of start.

42 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Peterman #1

Allen #2 (until week 4 or week 5)

McCarron will be cut or traded. 

So the narrative very widely held here seems to be that for those who believe Peterman will start the season, Allen will take over in week 4 or 5 or thereabouts.

Which begs the question: why does Allen take over in week 4 or 5?

Is it because he's ready in week 4 or week 5 even though he wasn't in week 1?

OR

Is it because Peterman just sucked that much in weeks 1-4 that Allen obviously had to be thrust in?

Th first question seems, to me, an obvious no.  If Allen isn't ready now, one month isn't going to suddenly make him magically ready to take the reins.

So that leaves us with Peterman sucking for the first month.  And I think most here saying Allen will start by week 4 or 5 but won't start the season believe it will largely because Peterman isn't playing well and the team is losing.

Well, if average joe message board guy knows that's the reason, don't you think the coaches at One Bills Drive know that, as well?  And if the coaches know that Peterman will force their hands in a month or so because of poor play--and I'm sorry, call this a leap but I think McDermott and Co. understand that teams don't scheme for players in the preseason, which was a massive part of Peterman's preseason success and that he is probably SIGNIFICANTLY easier to scheme for than Allen is--why do you really think the coaches would choose to keep Allen on the bench if they're going to play him anyway in a month?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with you at this point.  Overall, I would have to say that Nate has earned it.

I do wonder if part of the hesitation to announce is that McDermott bought what his OC was selling last fall and got made to look foolish on a national scale.

But Nate has apparently taken a big step between last preseason and this.

If Nate is terrible in week 1 against Baltimore, McDermott is going to look foolish on a national scale again.

At least you have some wiggle room if Allen has a bad game in Baltimore since he's a rookie.

I just think the more time this takes to announce the more likely it's Allen.  If the Bills hold back the announcement until Baltimore and Allen goes out as the starter, no matter what the outcome, people across the nation will understand the move to hold back the announcement.

If Peterman trots out there and if he has a bad game, McDermott is going to (I think rightfully) be pretty seriously criticized in a number of ways.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:40 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

I think it's Josh Allen.

I'll be fine if McCarron wins it.

I'll be absolutely floored if Peterman wins it... I think he's more likely on the practice squad than under center week 1.

I think Allen has like a 57% chance.

McCarron has maybe a 38% chance.

Peterman has a 5% chance, if that.

Allen is obviously the choice of this regime long term. Beane has questioned publicly the media perception of Allen as "raw." Dabol said he has a plan for him and was said to be on him like white on rice all rookie minicamp.

It just feels inevitable that the most talented QB who's already the Apple of McBeane's Eyes will win the starting job against one scrub with a noodle arm and one QB with some potential, 4 years on the bench and a handful of quality NFL starts, but also a guy who made it through the 1st wave of Free Agency before Beane finally settling on him.

The physical ability is there. The smarts are there. The experience under center is there. The work ethic is there.

#17 under center on Sunday, September 9th in Baltimore...

what say you?

Now that the preseason is over, should this thread be locked so people can't change their vote after we find out?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I seriously doubt AJ is actually NOT being considered at this point. 

Myself personally , A J McCarron exemplified what McD wants from his players last night. Despite being the 4th preseason game  I don't think McD or the rest of the Bills players took the come from behind win lightly in my humble opinion. It ended the preseason for the team on a high note.

Its the kind of gritty play that wins over a locker room IMO red.

Just now, Figster said:

Myself personally , A J McCarron exemplified what McD wants from his players last night. Despite being the 4th preseason game  I don't think McD or the rest of the Bills players took the come from behind win lightly in my humble opinion. It ended the preseason for the team on a high note.

Its the kind of gritty play that wins over a locker room IMO red.

Coach McDermott has said recently that he thinks it's great that AJ brought theBungles back to take the lead late in the playoff game. So yes, I agree that this will be seen as a HUGE positive by Coach McDermott.  You can't teach that.  Either you got it or you don't.  Roger Staubach had it.  Hotrod does not for example.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So the narrative very widely held here seems to be that for those who believe Peterman will start the season, Allen will take over in week 4 or 5 or thereabouts.

OR

Is it because Peterman just sucked that much in weeks 1-4 that Allen obviously had to be thrust in?

The main reason a different QB may take over in week (nameit) is because the first starting QB gets beaten to a shreddy pulp behind this line

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Th first question seems, to me, an obvious no.  If Allen isn't ready now, one month isn't going to suddenly make him magically ready to take the reins.

I understand your perspective.  I think there are some factors you're overlooking.

By all accounts, Allen is a pretty bright guy, but the preseason and TC have been focused on learning the offense.  If he's having trouble interpreting what he saw on the field last Sunday, is it not possible that a month of film watching and playing against the scout team showing those same things will help?y

It is possible that we'll pick up some OL help off the scrap heap, but they'll need time to learn the playbook and gel.  Is it not possible that the line may gel and look a bit better, a few weeks into the season - week 5-8 or so?

And, at the present time, there's not a lot of film out there on what to expect from various opponents.  Is it not possible that it will be easier for an inexperienced guy to prep for the game once there are 4-5 games of film out there?  Moreover, Peterman may have some early success  due to lack of film on Daboll's scheme combined with his limitations, but once 4-5 games of film are out there, he may struggle more.

I'm not saying the "let Peterman start and then put Allen in" plan is a good one.  I'm just trying to point out various factors which may contradict your "magical" assertion.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Now that the preseason is over, should this thread be locked so people can't change their vote after we find out?

All I have to do is lock the poll by adding today as the date the poll should be closed.  I figured I'd make the date the day before the game, September 8th.

No need to lock the thread.

It's still pretty much a guessing game...  why lock the poll?  I'm not changing my original vote...  people can, though.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

OR

So that leaves us with Peterman sucking for the first month.  And I think most here saying Allen will start by week 4 or 5 but won't start the season believe it will largely because Peterman isn't playing well and the team is losing.

Well, if average joe message board guy knows that's the reason, don't you think the coaches at One Bills Drive know that, as well?  And if the coaches know that Peterman will force their hands in a month or so because of poor play--and I'm sorry, call this a leap but I think McDermott and Co. understand that teams don't scheme for players in the preseason, which was a massive part of Peterman's preseason success and that he is probably SIGNIFICANTLY easier to scheme for than Allen is--why do you really think the coaches would choose to keep Allen on the bench if they're going to play him anyway in a month?

If Nate is terrible in week 1 against Baltimore, McDermott is going to look foolish on a national scale again.

At least you have some wiggle room if Allen has a bad game in Baltimore since he's a rookie.

I just think the more time this takes to announce the more likely it's Allen.  If the Bills hold back the announcement until Baltimore and Allen goes out as the starter, no matter what the outcome, people across the nation will understand the move to hold back the announcement.

If Peterman trots out there and if he has a bad game, McDermott is going to (I think rightfully) be pretty seriously criticized in a number of ways.

You just gave a real good argument on why A J McCarron should start against the Ravens IMO. Peterman's confidence is growing and it would be nice to build on vs tear down in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1