The Homeschooling Battle

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I had never imagined having children to be easy but holy !@#$ this is intimidating

Based on your comments about the women in your life, do everyone a favor and do everything you can to avoid getting someone pregnant. We don't need any more little girls brought into this world by a guy who thinks they're role in life is to be some other guy's useless phuckbucket.

• Like (+1) 2

I never even considered it with my kids as my wife is an elementary school teacher, my son will start playing sports next year, and I don't want to hamper their social development (friends, social events, being exposed to and learning to deal with the negative aspects of school like bullying, etc.).  I do agree that it should be the parent's choice though and think the government should respect that.  My question to those who do homeschool their children, do you worry about it hampering their social development?

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I never even considered it with my kids as my wife is an elementary school teacher, my son will start playing sports next year, and I don't want to hamper their social development (friends, social events, being exposed to and learning to deal with the negative aspects of school like bullying, etc.).  I do agree that it should be the parent's choice though and think the government should respect that.  My question to those who do homeschool their children, do you worry about it hampering their social development?

How long have public schools existed? People developed normally without them for like 7000 years.

54 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

How long have public schools existed? People developed normally without them for like 7000 years.

Since the 1820's.  However, approximately 97% of school aged children are either in public, private, or charter schools so that is the norm in the US.  A better question would be do you fear your children missing out on things like school plays, sports, and other extracurricular activities they may enjoy?  I just couldn't imagine sitting home growing up.

6 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Based on your comments about the women in your life, do everyone a favor and do everything you can to avoid getting someone pregnant. We don't need any more little girls brought into this world by a guy who thinks they're role in life is to be some other guy's useless phuckbucket.

I don't plan on it. And I don't see women as !@#$toys. I don't see them negatively at all;  hell, my friends say I'd be a great father with the right woman I wouldn't run all over. 

I have so much of my life in perfect order and so much that I'm always on top of that by the time it comes to committing myself to a relationship or a woman or even those intricate feelings, I just can't. For Christ's sake, we all know my past... The path that took me on such a weird devolving Road at such a young age is a lot of the reason why I'm so !@#$ed up today. 

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Since the 1820's.  However, approximately 97% of school aged children are either in public, private, or charter schools so that is the norm in the US.  A better question would be do you fear your children missing out on things like school plays, sports, and other extracurricular activities they may enjoy?  I just couldn't imagine sitting home growing up.

I have a friend I met in college who was home-schooled straight through high school.  He was involved in some sort of home school "network" of parents and kids who would get together two or three times a week for play and whathaveyou.  Then when he reached high school age he was able to play on his district's high school sports teams just the same as everyone else.  Not sure how ubiquitous it is but there are options out there.

Edited by LeviF91

16 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

There was a time when the concept of homeschooling would conjure images of backwoods survivalists in bunkers, trying to stay off the grid.

That stigma is gone now, as almost 2 million children are homeschooled in the US alone.

There are many reasons why families choose to homeschool, not the least of which it gives parents more control of their child's curriculum and not be tied down to what the state and federal government uses as a one-size-fits-all educational program. We homeschool my son through a curriculum from a local university, and my son has never flourished as he has in the past two years. It's simply been amazing. He attends scheduled classes a couple of days each week with about a dozen other kids in his class, then manages the rest of the work from home.

However, in CA, beyond the fact that teachers are paid to have asses in seats, the state has also decided that parents are not smart enough to know what is best for their children. There have a been a few cases of families hurting, torturing and even killing their children, where the unrelated common thread is that those families are designated as homeschoolers.

Remember the married lesbians who drive their kids off a cliff recently? Homeschoolers.

Remember the Turpin family, who shackled their 13 kids in the basement? Homeschoolers.

Most recently in CA, a young wacked out couple torturing their children. Homeschoolers.

What is CA's response? Tighter control over homeschooling families.  CA AB2756 was recently shot down as an effort for the state to pull more private information from families who choose to homeschool. Part of this law would literally give the state Fire Marshall the authority to randomly and freely inspect any house of a homeschooling family, much like they inspect businesses for fire hazards. Unscheduled, unfettered access.

Except it's a person's home.

The law got shot down, fortunately, but CA never gives up a chance to take control over more people's lives. The CBS story will gain traction, and leftists will yell "If we can only save one child!" 

But as is always the case with the left, the problem is never the people who commit the crimes. It's always some obscure thread that needs to be regulated.

Anyway, it's growing in discussion here so I thought I'd start a separate conversation.

good story, keep at it.

Lots of people in my life homeschooled, usually for religious affiliation purposes.

Felt sorry for two of them that were 6'10 and never got a chance to play competitive sports, they could have written a ticket to their education with it.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He's not sitting at home all the time, and he doesn't miss out on any of that because it's available to him through programs operating outside the public school system. Many of them were created specifically for homeschooling families, including field trips to museums, shows, etc.

He attends a single full-day of school with a dozen other kids in his class, plus the two 9th grade classes other days of the week, plus weekly activities with his church's junior high ministry group, plus he has neighborhood friends he gets together with to go bowling, movies, etc. My wife pretty much ensures he is very active.

Most impressively for us, it relies on him to be a self-starter. He has a daily schedule of items that need to get accomplished, both school work and chores, and we incent him (he earns weekend Xbox time)  to get them done without prodding by us. It blows me away, but this dude gets up every morning, makes his breakfast, cleans up, gets dressed and goes straight to his desk, working his way through the day's tasks. I've had employees who could barely accomplish this.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

He's not sitting at home all the time, and he doesn't miss out on any of that because it's available to him through programs operating outside the public school system. Many of them were created specifically for homeschooling families, including field trips to museums, shows, etc.

He attends a single full-day of school with a dozen other kids in his class, plus the two 9th grade classes other days of the week, plus weekly activities with his church's junior high ministry group, plus he has neighborhood friends he gets together with to go bowling, movies, etc. My wife pretty much ensures he is very active.

Most impressively for us, it relies on him to be a self-starter. He has a daily schedule of items that need to get accomplished, both school work and chores, and we incent him (he earns weekend Xbox time)  to get them done without prodding by us. It blows me away, but this dude gets up every morning, makes his breakfast, cleans up, gets dressed and goes straight to his desk, working his way through the day's tasks. I've had employees who could barely accomplish this.

Is there a way or need to do AP type courses to count as College courses?

Where I grew up the HS touted free college classes for qualifying students as young as freshman. It was a perk of public schooling

9 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Since the Amorite Dynasty of Babylon.

Seriously...archeologists have found clay tablets with homework assignments on them.

14 hours ago, The_Dude said:

I’d prefer that. If I could get paid to talk about my lord and savior, Julius Caesar, all day I’d be a happy man. 

Ill know soon which way I’m goin. 

Read Wolfe’s  “A Man In Full.” Sounds like it’s your story. 

20 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Is there a way or need to do AP type courses to count as College courses?

Where I grew up the HS touted free college classes for qualifying students as young as freshman. It was a perk of public schooling

Absolutely. In fact, the curriculum they use is through a local university.

21 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Absolutely. In fact, the curriculum they use is through a local university.

That's pretty interesting. Is there any type of incentive to use that schools curriculum or attend it post GED through the program?  Homeschooling has come a long way since just the late 90s when I was finishing my tenure in public schools.  My HS was just ranked top 5% in the nation (again).  Neighboring Ottawa Hills is always top 1%, usually top 50ish.

Of the thousands here you're one of the most interesting people on this board and one of the first I'd choose to meet.  You've done a lot of things in your life that seem genuinely interesting and your personality shown here is one of quality substance and integrity that I'd be curious to see the alignment with in physical presence.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

That's pretty interesting. Is there any type of incentive to use that schools curriculum or attend it post GED through the program?  Homeschooling has come a long way since just the late 90s when I was finishing my tenure in public schools.  My HS was just ranked top 5% in the nation (again).  Neighboring Ottawa Hills is always top 1%, usually top 50ish.

Of the thousands here you're one of the most interesting people on this board and one of the first I'd choose to meet.  You've done a lot of things in your life that seem genuinely interesting and your personality shown here is one of quality substance and integrity that I'd be curious to see the alignment with in physical presence.

And he's from my neck of the woods!

Oh wait that's a disincentive, forget I said anything.

12 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

LA is the best citizen of PPP....  not surprised to see he has done this for his children's schooling.

I came from a family of 6 kids, 

I went to private school until third grade where the tuition was just too much for my parents to afford, to homeschooling until 9th grade when I was given the option to decide if I wanted to go to public school. 

I was part of a homeschooling group that got together but the other kids were just socially awkward, but there were Boy Scouts and other activities to help with that problem. 

I never liked being homeschooled, I think you need to learn to deal with people, because you will be dealing with people most of your life but I can see the advantages for example

in college I was in class with two homeschooled high school students that were allowed to take some college elective classes like my public speaking class. 

It it all depends if the parent is a good teacher as well and how the student learns.