Is "faith" a requirement under McD?

eball

5 minutes ago, Wroughting said:

What a weird juxtaposition this thread is. Non-christians speculating without evidence, Christians asking for more. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, I think  McDermott prefers Christians, but mostly from a team building perspective. Belief can be a powerful thing, we'll see how it plays out. 

I think he prefers guys that buy into his team concept and coaching philosophy.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

But it doesn’t and it need not create a Christian environment.  It allows a place for people of any faith and no faith to come together and talk.  It allows those of strong faith to form bonds off the field both individually and with families.  

Mostly it it gives a place for those that want or need it support and comfort.  It is not a requirement and not everyone partakes, but if you watch the NFL and listen post game - you hear a lot of praise to God/Jesus and you see large groups of players from both teams gathering and kneeling and saying a prayer - same thing if a guy has a serious injury.

These guys play an incredibly violent game and sometimes groups of them look for something more, but as the Chaplain even says in the article that talked about his hiring - he is not there to force anything - he is there if needed to provide whatever guidance that individual needs.

At no point has McDermott put stated anything that puts faith over talent.  He has definitely stated he wants team over individuals, but I think faith is his driving guide not the team.  McDermott has stated that he wants to know each player as an individual so he can find what motivates them - I think the team appreciates that.

Many coaches are highly religious and gives thanks to God/Jesus/Mary - some are even over the top - look at Tony Dungy - yet they still reach the team and are successful.

I truly think this is a non-issue that people want to use as motivation for why a guy like Rosen was not the pick and I think it is wrong.

I should have separated my post more.

I don't have a problem with them having a team chaplain.

It was two separate thoughts, the rest of my post was independent of the chaplain :)

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

True. But those are first names. If they were last names you may have a point. I would feel a lot better if we had a Schlomo or a Feivish or Mordachai somewhere in there. 

Question: you able to find a combine profile or a scouting report on any of those names?

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I should have separated my post more.

I don't have a problem with them having a team chaplain.

It was two separate thoughts, the rest of my post was independent of the chaplain :)

The Patriots, among others, have a full-time chaplain. I have never heard them being accused of having a religious litmus test.

15 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Please explain how someone cold contract a certain person based on religious belief, but not fall into the category of discriminating against other faiths.

Do you encourage the practice ?

Yes, I do.

It's the same principle as a model being fired for being the size of Kate Upton, a NASCAR driver being fined for cursing over his radio, a Doctor breaking ethical obligations of their practice.

Freedom of expression and interests of the individual must pertain to business, as well.  That is, unless you think I should be obligated to make you a cake, in which case we will never agree.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: you able to find a combine profile or a scouting report on any of those names?

How about Julian Edelman? It's an obvious Jewish name. 

Edited by Sky Diver

15 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/24/inside-the-bills-team-chaplain-len-vanden-bos-blends-faith-and-football/

McDermott hired a full time team Chaplin just after he arrived.  I think is may have been the 1st time in organization history, if I remember correctly.

I don't know whether or not he was full time, but one of the first things McDermott did after his hire was fire the existing team chaplain.

The team has had "team chaplains" for years.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know whether or not he was full time, but one of the first things McDermott did after his hire was fire the existing team chaplain.

The team has had "team chaplains" for years.

I think all NFL teams have a chaplain, but most are part-time.

I don't think it's unusual to bring your own guys in, including the chaplain.

Edited by Sky Diver

16 hours ago, eball said:

If there is one non-football thing I've noticed about McD it is the emphasis he places on faith when discussing the makeup of the team.  I believe he uses the phrase "family, faith, football" frequently which begs the question -- is there a place for a player on this roster who isn't a devout Christian or (perish the thought) is agnostic or an atheist?  An aspect unique to sports is the open practice of religion before, during, and after games.

Obviously McD can't come out and openly discriminate on the basis of religion but that's not what I'm asking.  I don't think this is a silly question and I'm not making fun of anyone -- I'm curious to hear others' thoughts and I wonder if a media member would ever ask him that question (i.e., can a player who doesn't claim religious faith as a cornerstone of his life fit into "the process" with the Buffalo Bills)?

Ever since high school the whole evangelical "Fellowship of Christian Athletes" thing has given me the creeps. I can tolerate it in someone like McDermott but I really do not like it. God does not care whether you win or lose a football game and has absolutely no hand in it. Should coaches practice astrology as well?

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The Patriots, among others, have a full-time chaplain. I have never heard them being accused of having a religious litmus test.

You really can't read, can you?

I literally said I didn't have a problem with the chaplain, and that post should have been separated into two independent thoughts.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

KtD was asking about "Schlomo or a Feivish or Mordachai". 

My point is, team can only select from the players who are prepared and asking to be selected.

There have been a relatively small number of Jewish NFL players and none are named "Schlomo or a Feivish or Mordachai. :) 

There are no NFL players named Luigi, but I don't infer from that that there is an anti-Italian bias.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jews-in-the-national-football-league-nf

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Edited by Sky Diver

12 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Except contract players like this don't apply to that. But, hey, cool

Nonetheless.  IF it were true that the Bills were basing hiring or player selection decisions on religious faith, it would be a big issue in terms of PR if nothing else.

I think it's a non-issue, as I doubt it's happening. 

18 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How about Julian Edelman? It's an obvious Jewish name. 

Oh, and you had to raise that one. 

Edelman self-identifies as Jewish.  But his father is Jewish, his mother is not, and he states has not converted to Judaism.

So, Orthodox or Conservative Judaism would not recognize him as Jewish, while Reform and Reconstructionist congregations would consider him Jewish.

Oy vey this faith thing is complex

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nonetheless.  IF it were true that the Bills were basing hiring or player selection decisions on religious faith, it would be a big issue in terms of PR if nothing else.

I agree.

I have said numerous times that I doubt it's happening, but IF it was, or started to happen, it is a huge issue.

The big discussion here is that many seem to feel it wouldn't be a problem.

9 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Just that Christianity starts and ends with faith, and faith alone. You can follow any rules you want, but works without faith are good deeds and don't assure your entry to God's kingdom.

Let me preface by checking myself to remember it's not my place to judge. It's something I still struggle with, but the point here is that, in my mind, it's difficult to believe that anyone who commits to a steady relationship with God will simultaneously do what Mike Vick did, often and brutally. What he was doing was illegal, and his consequences affected many, many people in a very negative way. I think a Christian who spent his time with Christians would have never let the dog thing go on.

Just my thoughts.

Let's agree where we can, and let the chips fall where they must. You are well aware of the Scripture that negates part of your text, and I don't see the need to waste many pixels on it. Western culture elevates the human to the position of God, to believe he can ignore whatever he'd like of God's Word in order to exculpate his guilt and excuse abhorrent behavior. 

The most egregious, Godless people I've known can quote the Bible by verse easily and don't breathe a Word of it. But ... you cannot be on the path without it or make of it what you will.

The flip side is also so terribly true. Nothing you can do, no penance paid by word or deed, makes you worthy. It's a fine line between Matthew 22 or 5  and Romans 3. 

We agree more than we disagree.

Vaya con dios. 

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, and you had to raise that one. 

Edelman self-identifies as Jewish.  But his father is Jewish, his mother is not, and he states has not converted to Judaism.

So, Orthodox or Conservative Judaism would not recognize him as Jewish, while Reform and Reconstructionist congregations would consider him Jewish.

Oy vey this faith thing is complex

Rosen's father is Jewish and his mother is a Quaker. I guess technically he isn't Jewish either, but he self-identifies as being Jewish. Yes. oy vey. :)

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I agree.

I have said numerous times that I doubt it's happening, but IF it was, or started to happen, it is a huge issue.

The big discussion here is that many seem to feel it wouldn't be a problem.

A lot of things, real or imagined, could become real issues,

Edited by Sky Diver

23 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Ever since high school the whole evangelical "Fellowship of Christian Athletes" thing has given me the creeps. I can tolerate it in someone like McDermott but I really do not like it. God does not care whether you win or lose a football game and has absolutely no hand in it. Should coaches practice astrology as well?

If there are coaches who feel astrology is central to their lives and helps motivate them, why not? (Edit: as long as they win ?)

I don't understand the whole "give me the Creeps" thing.  If they're following you about pressuring you to join them after you say "thanks, but No" sure, that's creepy.  Otherwise it's their Constitutional right to express and practice their religion.  Tolerance is your civic duty, and theirs - a fact which appears to be getting lost in today's rhetoric

We recently visited Northern Ireland.  Belfast today is one of the safest cities in Europe.  The reminders of the Troubles are all around and on the tour we took, the drivers pointed out some of the steps that were taken (courthouses, police and firestations surrounded by double blast walls topped with military-grade barb wire) and explained what life was like (no busses, had to be searched 1x to enter city center and then at the door to each shop).  That is the legacy of one religion being state-supported and its followers given some legal preferences, and of lack of tolerance between religions.

No Thanks.