Apologies to Doug Marrone as we learn more about the environment

JoeF

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

Sorry, the Pegulas had nothing to do with hiring Marrone, that was Nix, Brandon and Whaley.

D'oh!! You're 100% right, that's what I get for posting too quickly, without fact-checking. 

Fits the argument I was making even better now, but you're right, I just plain blew that one. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

They did have a really good defence, but that defense had two starters brought in after Whaley became GM, and neither of those two was a core player or a great talent. The overwhelming majority were Nix guys, with a couple pre-Nix.

In my mind Whaley does get credit for Hughes - that was his deal.  But Nix did an awful lot of the grunt work in building that defense.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was Assistant GM at that point actually.  

Yeah, assistant GM and director of Pro Personnel.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In my mind Whaley does get credit for Hughes - that was his deal.  But Nix did an awful lot of the grunt work in building that defense.  

There's never been any real evidence that it was Whaley's deal. Rumors have swirled, but nothing has ever been released about that. Makes sense that he was involved to some degree, perhaps a lot. 

Edited by Thurman#1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, assistant GM and director of Pro Personnel.

Nah he was Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel.  He started with the Bills as Director of Pro-Personnel but he was promoted out of that role to the Assistant GM and overall Player Personnel role in 2012. Tom Gibbons was doing the Pro-Personnel job at that point.  

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah he was Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel.  He started with the Bills as Director of Pro-Personnel but he was promoted out of that role to the Assistant GM and overall Player Personnel role in 2012. Tom Gibbons was doing the Pro-Personnel job at that point.  

Sigh. Two mistakes in a row for me. I'm not looking good here. 

Maybe I need to take a few hours off.

Thanks for pointing it out, Gunner.

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sigh. Two mistakes in a row for me. I'm not looking good here. 

Maybe I need to take a few hours off.

Thanks for pointing it out, Gunner.

It's not your fault it was the Bills organisational MO for a long time. Constant governance changes, blurred lines of reporting and accountability.  It was why I was always anti-tsar when that idea was floated.  I never felt the Bills failed because of a too little management structure.... I felt they failed because of too much over complicated operational structuring and re-structuring.  I wanted Owner > GM > Head Coach. We have still not quite got there as both McDermott and Beane report direct to Terry but at least we seem to have a GM and HC who are aligned. Which other than Nix and Gailey I also can't remember us having in almost a generation.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

This times 10 

I quit jobs because of bad mgmt, guess putting myself before the corporation is quitting. Or it's called self-respect, self-worth, and confidence in my abilities and value. And it worked out for Marrone, who I agree was a total a$$hat and the move was not a good look. But it worked for him I'd say. And he opted out of a contract that had that clause in it. He won, big time. 

I'll stick around the corporations more when they start putting employees before the corporation... guess not then. If you stick around a job because you have some sort of loyalty to the firm, you're a fool. You owe them zero. The agreement is simple, they owe you money for time worked, you owe them work. It ends anytime either party decides it ends. 

But this is football, a business pervaded by neanderthal thinking from the fans to Dave Gettleman, so I expect there to be this romanticized idea of being a company man on this board. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'll maintain this forever:  Had we kept Marrone and Whaley, this team would have been a perennial playoff team.  We were a QB away.  

I actually agree but, Whaley would have N E V E R found us a good QB.  Marrone could have if given the opportunity.  Not Whaley tho. 

17 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Wish Marrone the best but I think we're in a better place now than we would have been with him.   McDermott isn't afraid to cut loose a bad OC.   Marrone is a ride or die guy with his people. 

He rode them to round 2 of the playoffs with Blake Bortles as his QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

He rode them to round 2 of the playoffs with Blake Bortles as his QB.

They were 1 game away from the super bowl.   Marrone has done a fantastic job with them, they have drafted well and made good decisions.   But I still don't like Hackett as an OC.  His playcalling is no different than it was here. 

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

They were 1 game away from the super bowl.   Marrone has done a fantastic job with them, they have drafted well and made good decisions.   But I still don't like Hackett as an OC.  His playcalling is no different than it was here. 

I actually never had a problem with his playcalling here.  The plays simply weren't executed well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Tell me if I'm wrong...but didn't Whaley like Mahomes?

How you been Jeff?

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Is this the great Soda!?  This is Teeflebees/ThatsWhatSheSaid!

Finally you joined this board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Of course it was partly justified.

Still a dick move though

I don't get why it was a dick move.  If Pegula had decided to fire him would that have been a dick move?  The guy specifically asked for and received a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave if the team was sold.  He assessed the situation and decided that it wasn't a good situation for him and used that clause to leave the team. 

If a player has an opt-out in his contract and he uses it because he thinks there is more money for him on the free agent market is that a dick move?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

How you been Jeff?

Is this the great Soda!?  This is Teeflebees/ThatsWhatSheSaid!

Finally you joined this board.

Took a while to find it i was never invited.  Someone on reddit mentioned it yesterday  here i am