ACID! Somebody please help!

What the heck do I do about Acid reflux? Its so dang bad that it wakes me up in the middle of the night with the worst taste in the world in my mouth. I had it come up the other night and it was very stong, some went down the wrong tube and I though I was going to die! What causes this? I went online and read about the medicine, the side effects from the medicine sound like the same crap im having!

My diet is simple, I really dont eat spicy stuff. I only drink Crystal Light Ice tea and water. I never eat after 6:30pm.

What causes this and How do I stop it! Does the medicine work well for it? Gosh please respond!!!!!! :lol:

What the heck do I do about Acid reflux?  Its so dang bad that it wakes me up in the middle of the night with the worst taste in the world in my mouth.  I had it come up the other night and it was very stong, some went down the wrong tube and I though I was going to die!  What causes this?  I went online and read about the medicine, the side effects from the medicine sound like the same crap im having!

My diet is simple, I really dont eat spicy stuff.  I only drink Crystal Light Ice tea and water.  I never eat after 6:30pm. 

What causes this and How do I stop it!  Does the medicine work well for it?  Gosh please respond!!!!!! :P

274850[/snapback]

Well NAVY did you go to the corpsmen? I am about too and the Nexium usually takes 2-4 weeks to fully kick in I think. My wife has it as well but severe and there was talk of surgery for her for awile. I also ran across a young man wishing to join the Navy but also had AR and DID have a laperoscapy procedure done(3 incisions to repair insides) and now cant even try for a long time.

Do you take alot of Advil or any Asprin?----If yes then stop

If your in the Navy how do you not drink coffee or alot of Beer?----It's tradition :lol:

Good Luck and GO NAVY!!!

i had acid reflux for a few years. and it got to the point where i couldn't take it anymore.

first thing i suggest if it is really bad is see your dr.

my dr. scheduled an upper gi for me.

then prescribed something called Protonix. Works great and have had no problems in two years.

i will also add...when i went on the low carb diet last year....it took all my acid reflux away and i didn't need to take the medicine.

Peter (on phone): Uh.. I, uh.. I took some acid.. I'm afraid to leave my apartment, and I can't wear any clothes.. and the ceiling is dripping, and uh.. I, uh..

Walter Cronkite: Well, thank you very much for calling, sir..

President Jimmy Carter: Just a minute, Walter, this guy's in trouble. I think I better try to talk him down. Peter?

Peter (on phone): Yeah..?

President Jimmy Carter: Peter, what did the acid look like?

Peter (on phone): They were these little orange pills.

President Jimmy Carter: Were they barrel shaped?

Peter (on phone): Uh.. yes.

President Jimmy Carter: Okay, right, you did some orange sunshine, Peter.

Walter Cronkite: Very good of you to know that, sir.

President Jimmy Carter: How long ago did you take it, Peter?

Peter (on phone): Uh.. I don't know. I can't read my watch.

President Jimmy Carter: Alright, Peter, just listen. Everything is going to be fine. You're very high right now. You will probably be that way for about five more hours. Try taking some vitamin B complex, vitamin C complex.. if you have a beer, go ahead and drink it..

Peter (on phone): Okay..

President Jimmy Carter: Just remember you're a living organism on this planet, and you're very safe. You've just taken a heavy drug. Relax, stay inside and listen to some music, Okay? Do you have any Allman Brothers?

Peter (on phone): Yes, I do, sir. Everything is okay, huh Jimmy?

President Jimmy Carter: It sure is, Peter. You know, I'm against drug use myself, but I'm not going to lay that on you right now. Just mellow out the best you can, okay?

Peter (on phone): Okay..!

President Jimmy Carter: Okay.

What the heck do I do about Acid reflux?  Its so dang bad that it wakes me up in the middle of the night with the worst taste in the world in my mouth.  I had it come up the other night and it was very stong, some went down the wrong tube and I though I was going to die!  What causes this?  I went online and read about the medicine, the side effects from the medicine sound like the same crap im having!

My diet is simple, I really dont eat spicy stuff.  I only drink Crystal Light Ice tea and water.  I never eat after 6:30pm. 

What causes this and How do I stop it!  Does the medicine work well for it?  Gosh please respond!!!!!! :lol:

274850[/snapback]

Any of the prescription proton pump inhibitors should help (Nexium, Prevacid etc.). Definitely go see your Doc. Chronic acid reflux has been linked to a higher incidence of gastric cancers.

Navy, I had the same thing happening to me when I was in the Corps -- it had nothing to do with my service, but I too was dealing with Navy doctors.

Anyway, I was at the Navy hospital at Camp Pendleton for something else when I mentioned I had bad heartburn at the time. The doc I was seeing also worked on acid reflux patients. He ordered up an upper GI, some X-rays and sent me down to Balboa for some tests. Balboa had me walking around for two days with a wire that ran from a small computer on my hip, up my nose and down my throat. It measured just how bad the reflux was. Turned out the worst was when I was asleep, which I didn't really realize. It was so bad I had an ulcer in my esophagus and it was causing dental problems, too.

So, I was put on some pink pills. They stopped the reflux but brought on some other crappy side-effects. The important thing to the doctor though was that the reflux stopped. That, along with the upper GI, showed I had a hyaital hernia.

The doctor performed surgery on me and fixed it, but it was tough 30-day recovery period. You won’t be able to sit up for about a week. No solids for at least two weeks, and then you have to cut your food up real small for another two weeks. At least you’ll get a month of convalescent leave. But I haven’t had heartburn if four, almost five, years now. It was worth it.

PM me if you have any questions.

In the interim before seeing a doc, I recommend Gaviscon, and make sure your torso is slightly elevated while you sleep.

274973[/snapback]

Yep, Gaviscon is great short term relief. It actually creates a foam barrier in your stomach to stop the acid from passing into your esophagus. But as SIC stated, it is only for temporary relief until you can see the doc and get a prescription.

What causes this and How do I stop it!  Does the medicine work well for it?  Gosh please respond!!!!!! :lol:

274850[/snapback]

Go to your doctor. I have the same thing. I do eat spicy food, I smoke, I eat rather unhealthy foods from time to time, I drink quite a bit, and I do eat after 6:30. So, that being said, he gave me perscription Pepsid. No, it's NOT the same as the regular stuff. I believe the doc said it's roughly 8 times as strong.

The doc will give ya something and fix ya right up.

That being said, I get terrible heartburn, but NOTHING as bad as you described...

I had reflux for over 30 years...I tried every medicine known to man. Even plain baking soda (which will screw up your "electrical" system if you use it too much) After all the prilosecs, zantacs, pepcids, previcids, tums, rolaids, pepto bismol...I finally had enough.....

It would get so bad I thought I was having heart attacks at times. It was ALL THE TIME!! I couldn't sleep and lived off of prescription medicines for a few years. They were only band aids.....no matter what pill I took, I still had to take more when they wore off.

Finally after some test I've had stomach surgery and have had "heartburn" only two or three times in a year and a half....A true life changing experience for me

A MIRACLE for people who suffer from heartburn constantly....

The other problem is the longer you have it the more damage it does to your esopogus.....

They had to stuff a tube down my throat that was hooked up to a computer worn to my hip for 24 hours. Everytime I felt heartburn I was to push a button so the computer would take a ph rating in my stomach. It was uncomfortable for a day but if I wasn't going to get heartburn again, I'd go through ANYTHING. So here was my problem....I only hit the button 10 times over the the 24 hours...with 1 major attack while sleeping....comes to find out...I had over 100 acid attacks NOT 10....you get so used to the pain that you don't realize how many you have which can destroy your insides. The major attack lasted for 27 minutes!!!

Youve got to start with a Visit to your doctor...they will prescribe Previcid or something like that to see how it goes...I thought these were miracle drugs but they wear off and you keep having to take them every day for the rest of your life??? eventually these started not to work as good so they would switch to another pill that did the same thing.

ask the doc for an upper GI if this has been going on for a long time.

didn't you post this same topic about a year ago???? If that was you, youve got heartburn bad enough to warrent tests.....ASK THE DOCTOR....it all starts there!!!

My surgery was all done by scopes threw my belly...very small scars (I'm hairy so who cares) and I've NEVER FELT BETTER!!!! if I haven't made it clear, ASK YOUR DOCTOR!!! Call him NOW and make an appointment, you will not regret it.

Good luck

let me know if you have further questions and oh yea, CALL YOUR DOCTOR

I had reflux for over 30 years...I tried every medicine known to man.  Even plain baking soda (which will screw up your "electrical" system if you use it too much)  After all the prilosecs, zantacs, pepcids, previcids, tums, rolaids, pepto bismol...I finally had enough.....

It would get so bad I thought I was having heart attacks at times. It was ALL THE TIME!!  I couldn't sleep and lived off of prescription medicines for a few years.  They were only band aids.....no matter what pill I took, I still had to take more when they wore off. 

Finally after some test I've had stomach surgery and have had "heartburn" only two or three times in a year and a half....A true life changing experience for me

A MIRACLE for people who suffer from heartburn constantly....

The other problem is the longer you have it the more damage it does to your esopogus.....

They had to stuff a tube down my throat that was hooked up to a computer worn to my hip for 24 hours.  Everytime I felt heartburn I was to push a button so the computer would take a ph rating in my stomach.  It was uncomfortable for a day but if I wasn't going to get heartburn again, I'd go through ANYTHING.  So here was my problem....I only hit the button 10 times over the the 24 hours...with 1 major attack while sleeping....comes to find out...I had over 100 acid attacks NOT 10....you get so used to the pain that you don't realize how many you have which can destroy your insides.  The major attack lasted for 27 minutes!!!

Youve got to start with a Visit to your doctor...they will prescribe Previcid or something like that to see how it goes...I thought these were miracle drugs but they wear off and you keep having to take them every day for the rest of your life???  eventually these started not to work as good so they would switch to another pill that did the same thing.

ask the doc for an upper GI if this has been going on for a long time. 

didn't you post this same topic about a year ago???? If that was you, youve got heartburn bad enough to warrent tests.....ASK THE DOCTOR....it all starts there!!!

My surgery was all done by scopes threw my belly...very small scars (I'm hairy so who cares)  and I've NEVER FELT BETTER!!!!  if I haven't made it clear, ASK YOUR DOCTOR!!! Call him NOW and make an appointment, you will not regret it.

Good luck 

let me know if you have further questions and oh yea, CALL YOUR DOCTOR

275205[/snapback]

Go see a doctor?? You mean TSW isn't a good place to come for a medical diagnosis? <_<

:):w00t:

Go see a doctor?? You mean TSW isn't a good place to come for a medical diagnosis? <_<

:)  :w00t:

275259[/snapback]

I'm sure there are plenty of qualified experts on the board!

Doctor Rosenpenis...paging Doctor Rosenpenis.......

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but it is also worth noting that one of the potential complications from prolonged acid reflux is esophogeal cancer. Happened to the father of a friend of mine - not a pretty thing to go through. It definitely is something worth getting taken care of now.