Let’s get down to brass tacks ...

1. Straight white male voters were attracted to Trump out of fear that their social significance keeps dwindling.

2. The same voters felt that Trump was their best hope to stop other segments/demographics (blacks, women, gay, everyone else) in society from gradually displacing them. 

3. Trump understands the perceived suffering and devolution that is happening in the white male community. 

I’m not positing anything. There is no thesis here to discern. This is based on a conversation that I recently had with a republican state legislator and an article that I recently read. 

Just want to know if you think that of the three points listed above, the preponderance is mostly true or mostly false. 

*This is a question about identity politics and not an appraisal of his current economic record. 

Speaking as a non-male... bull ****.

1. I think people fail to realize how fed-up with "politics as usual" people are (male, female, black, white, pink, or green).  DJT is definitely not politics as usual.

2. I also think people fail to recognize just how terrible a candidate Hillary Clinton was. She was never out glad-handing (clearly her health would not allow for it), she doesn't know how to connect with the "deplorables", and her er, integrity has been in question for 40+ years. She is the quintessential "politics as usual" politician. 

3. The MSM and their biases helped contribute to the populist movement. Being told you are stupid, unsophisticated, and just plain wrong when we have this thing called the internet to refute and expand upon prejudiced reporting is also a contributing factor.

4. This theory completely disregards all the women (and non-white males) who voted for President Trump.  Heck, even CNN reported more women voted for Trump than for Hillary Clinton.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Speaking as a non-male... bull ****.

1. I think people fail to realize how fed-up with "politics as usual" people are (male, female, black, white, pink, or green).  DJT is definitely not politics as usual.

2. I also think people fail to recognize just how terrible a candidate Hillary Clinton was. She was never out glad-handing (clearly her health would not allow for it), she doesn't know how to connect with the "deplorables", and her er, integrity has been in question for 40+ years. She is the quintessential "politics as usual" politician. 

3. The MSM and their biases helped contribute to the populist movement. Being told you are stupid, unsophisticated, and just plain wrong when we have this thing called the internet to refute and expand upon prejudiced reporting is also a contributing factor.

4. This theory completely disregards all the women (and non-white males) who voted for President Trump.  Heck, even CNN reported more women voted for Trump than for Hillary Clinton.

Hmmm a lot of interesting things here. Thanks for your response. 

Some good points.

And some boogeymanisms. 

A couple of factual errors/misleading items  - 

1. Hillary Clinton did “glad-hand” during this campaign. I shook her hand when she campaigned in Va. Actually, I’ve met her twice. Most recently it was the brief hand shake and smile. I also met her in 2000 and interviewed her for my school newspaper in Los Angeles during the Democratic National Convention (I went to the shadow convention that year too where Rage Against the Machine played and things became a little rowdy).

Anyway, she was cool enough both times. 

I also went to a Trump rally (if you go back through old posts I created a thread asking if anyone local wanted to do a meet up at the rally in Hagerstown that would be cool - I would buy a beer afterwards - alas no takers). 

It was an interesting experience. 

I ended up not voting for either and writing in John Kasich. 

2. Despite your commentary about other demographics who voted for Trump, the point still stands that his candidacy had a considerable amount of support from that single demographic vis a vis his competitor. And one can say white males guided his candidacy. 

Do you disagree with that?

By the way, I haven’t seen you post here before. So from me to you, !@#$ you. 

Thats my dirty welcome mat. 

41 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

1. Straight white male voters were attracted to Trump out of fear that their social significance keeps dwindling.

2. The same voters felt that Trump was their best hope to stop other segments/demographics (blacks, women, gay, everyone else) in society from gradually displacing them. 

3. Trump understands the perceived suffering and devolution that is happening in the white male community. 

I’m not positing anything. There is no thesis here to discern. This is based on a conversation that I recently had with a republican state legislator and an article that I recently read. 

Just want to know if you think that of the three points listed above, the preponderance is mostly true or mostly false. 

*This is a question about identity politics and not an appraisal of his current economic record. 

Those 3 points may have played a role for some voters.

However, they are too simplistic and narrow to truly capture what happened in the Trump election.

Edited by jmc12290

34 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Hmmm a lot of interesting things here. Thanks for your response. 

Some good points.

And some boogeymanisms. 

A couple of factual errors/misleading items  - 

1. Hillary Clinton did “glad-hand” during this campaign. I shook her hand when she campaigned in Va. Actually, I’ve met her twice. Most recently it was the brief hand shake and smile. I also met her in 2000 and interviewed her for my school newspaper in Los Angeles during the Democratic National Convention (I went to the shadow convention that year too where Rage Against the Machine played and things became a little rowdy).

Anyway, she was cool enough both times. 

I also went to a Trump rally (if you go back through old posts I created a thread asking if anyone local wanted to do a meet up at the rally in Hagerstown that would be cool - I would buy a beer afterwards - alas no takers). 

It was an interesting experience. 

I ended up not voting for either and writing in John Kasich. 

2. Despite your commentary about other demographics who voted for Trump, the point still stands that his candidacy had a considerable amount of support from that single demographic vis a vis his competitor. And one can say white males guided his candidacy. 

Do you disagree with that?

By the way, I haven’t seen you post here before. So from me to you, !@#$ you. 

Thats my dirty welcome mat. 

1. Look at her schedule compared to the other candidates - very controlled, very sparse. You may have shaken her hand but that was not her normal modus operandi in the 2016 campaign. She's ill (no one except the people throwing her into the back of a van knows with what, however).  She needed to be out doing 3-4 events daily, and she just didn't. To be fair, the less she was out in public, the better her polling numbers were so that may have factored into it (ie, people liked the idea of a woman candidate, they just didn't like Hillary).

2. It was said that Hillary Clinton reminded men of their ex-wives. Her voice was shrill, she was stringent. Since I am not male, I can't claim that to be true for a minority (let alone a majority) of males. Is that why males voted for Trump? I donno.  It could simply be that males did not care for "politics as usual". 

3. Er, thanks (go look in the various OIG threads that is where I've spent the majority of my time in PPP).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

You should embrace your thoughts,  and trust them as sacrosanct, and explain them to everyone who will listen via every avenue available. Post on social media. Speak out loud at public events. Be bold wherever you go.

It's a critical time in our country, and what the country needs to hear right now is that Trump is president so only white men rule the country.

Tell everyone. Over and over. As often as you can. As far and wide as you can. Never stop the message.

You need to be heard.

Sincerely,

Trump/Pence 2020 Re-Election HQ

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

As a mildly insane non-voter, I'd say this is mostly true.  The idea that the Dems are the only ones playing identity politics is false.  The Republicans are just more of the wink and nod types.

Point 2 is obnoxiously worded but I understand what you're saying.  I don't think most people are thinking "can't let the gays or the blacks get more status" so much as "****, I like my life and don't want it to change."

Since there is no thesis, that is where my commentary will end.

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

Mostly false.

I think it was a matter of "identity politics," but too much focus is put on racial identity and not enough on socio-economic identity.  Fundamentally, this wasn't "white male anger," but a conflict between metropolitan and rural, or northeast and west coast liberalism vs. rural conservatism (note the small "l" and "c".)  I mean, you can't dismiss wide swathes of the country as "deplorables," pointedly ignore them while you campaign to your urban base, and expect them to believe you care at all about their interests.

To a large number of people, she was just "other people's candidate" that they were being told to choose.  Trump, though an !@#$, was at least a choice.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

I stopped reading after the first falsehood.

Peddle your myths elsewhere.

I reluctantly voted for Trump, because Hillary Clinton would have ruined the country........THAT was the biggest reason, for ALL races, sexes and creeds.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

(I went to the shadow convention that year too where Rage Against the Machine played and things became a little rowdy).

I'd get rowdy too, if I had to listen to that asshat Zack de la Rocha  sing. His voice grates on my nerves, and manages ruin the awesomeness of Tom Morello playing his guitar.

As for your OP, it's mostly bullSchiff. If it makes the left feel better at night that Trump winning was some kind of racist/misogynistic message, great. That's not even close to the truth, though. Hillary represented the 'swamp'; the same 'swamp' that people were sick of. When 'Hope & Change' turned out to be 'more of the same', a lot of people took notice.

It was also notable that she was even more unlikable than Trump (which is saying a lot.) People had decades of watching her positions shifting with the wind, and she could not escape the elitist, disingenuous, corrupt image that she cultivated by her words and deeds. She does not come across as charming, like Bubba or Obama. It really didn't help that she personally insulted a large percentage of the population as well. Couple all this with the fact that she took several states for granted and ignored them, and you have a recipe for the 'most qualified candidate ever' getting her ass handed to her by a chia pet.

3 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

Mostly false.

It was really easy to not like Hillary for President and Trump actually had policy positions on fiscal responsibility, national security, illegal immigration and the economy that were easy to support.  I don't think people knew very well where Hillary stood on these things and the positions she did express were garbage.  That and she was running as a continuation of Obama, not good. 

A really polished Republican (any gender or race) that would have opposed Hillary and ran on similar to Trump policies only better articulated would have beat Hillary by an even wider margin. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Frankly, I think your ideas are mostly bullshat.

But you knew that already.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

They’re not my ideas. 

I don’t necessarily even believe them. 

Its a question based on a Times article from

last month.

And it was interesting. 

So make this less about your efforts to demonize subject matter and discussion and focus on answering the question. 

Lemme guess, mainstream media again? 

!@#$ people, just have a !@#$ing discussion and cut the ****. It’s “yes” or “no.” It’s not an agenda piece.

I’m asking a question.

You responded. 

No attribution necessary faggot. Suck a dick and leave the ideas to the experts. 

Thanks. 

Moving on ...

2 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

They’re not my ideas. 

I don’t necessarily even believe them. 

Its a question based on a Times article from

last month.

And it was interesting. 

So make this less about your efforts to demonize subject matter and discussion and focus on answering the question. 

Lemme guess, mainstream media again? 

!@#$ people, just have a !@#$ing discussion and cut the ****. It’s “yes” or “no.” It’s not an agenda piece.

I’m asking a question.

You responded. 

No attribution necessary faggot. Suck a dick and leave the ideas to the experts. 

Thanks. 

Moving on ...

Edgy.

Mad?

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I stopped reading after the first falsehood.

Peddle your myths elsewhere.

I reluctantly voted for Trump, because Hillary Clinton would have ruined the country........THAT was the biggest reason, for ALL races, sexes and creeds.

No attribution necessary. This is simply asking a question. 

Stick to plagiarizing other people’s work product and stay out of threads that you’re ill-prepared to address and your small bus level of reading compression doesn’t allow you to approach with even a modicum of competence. 

You’re a dirty, moist vagina rag. 

!@#$ off. 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Edgy.

Mad?

Thats better slave. 

Edited by Juror#8

Just now, joesixpack said:

Edgy.

Mad?

He's trying to have a reasonable discussion, and soliciting opposing viewpoints.  And you shat all over him.

Don't be surprised he's aggressively dismissive of you.  But still not as much as you were of him.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

He's trying to have a reasonable discussion, and soliciting opposing viewpoints.  And you shat all over him.

Don't be surprised he's aggressively dismissive of you.  But still not as much as you were of him.

" Trump understands the perceived suffering and devolution that is happening in the white male community.  "

This is attempting to have a reasonable discussion?

This is dreck. Like gatorman-level dreck unworthy of anything BUT mockery of the person who posted it.