Sal Capaccio Breaks Down Josh Allen's Footwork (Video)

Sal pointing out the obvious...Allen played at Wyoming. Good job Sal, few experts seems to note this.

Also, if you think our staff can't get him in a position to hit a swing pass then your issue isn't just with Allen...

Edited by dayman

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

So is Allen's issue footwork or mechanics?

with his strength and size combined with intellect he had all the positives to be at a much larger program.  his mechanics are not great from what i've seen.  i have checked out on a lot of football the last year and change so i don't know much about him but any time i've seen him throw in any clip he generally has poor footing or bad mechanics.

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

with his strength and size combined with intellect he had all the positives to be at a much larger program.  his mechanics are not great from what i've seen.  i have checked out on a lot of football the last year and change so i don't know much about him but any time i've seen him throw in any clip he generally has poor footing or bad mechanics.

Well he improved both drastically at the senior bowl. Lets hope that continues. Bottom line is if Dabol is a good OC he will find a way to develop Allen. He has the best skill set of any QB to come out of the NFL draft, he is very raw though.

• Like (+1) 1

On every video I saw, it’s clear he relies on his upper body strength too much when throwing which cause his erratic throws. It also means, as multiple people, including Sal, that his lower body footwork is off. 

He has to trust himself to drive the ball with his lower body instead of his natural upper body strength. Do that and he could be an All Pro someday

9 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

a good coach can correct footwork in an month.  a great coach cannot even fix mechanics in an off season.

One thing that encourages me is playing at a small town high school, then a junior college, then a small school like Wyoming, there’s absolutely no way he received the level of quality QB coaching that he will get in the NFL.

Just getting the attention of someone like Jordan Palmer has helped tremendously as evident by his performance in the senior bowl with players as good as he is. They say one of his best traits is that he is very coachable, so I’m encouraged to watch this kid develop.

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Good stuff here from coach Sal.  

I don't agree with Sal about the first ball's placement.  I thought it was thrown long and the WR was running flat out and reached for it/couldn't haul it in.  A mad skills NFL wide out might have launched for it - maybe - but it would have been a high degree of difficulty catch.

At his proday, Allen, IMO, made some very similar throws to what Sal calls out.  Look at 3:08.  His "RB" comes down with the ball but he needs to extend his arms and jump a bit.   That's not something that should be needed on game day.  Then 3:35 there's a long throw which sails wide to the WR's right.  I wish you could see more on the tape but I don't see any obvious footwork issue there.  (I wish the announcers would talk about the throws and not just be babbling in the background about his footwork and Carson Wentz then "as you see there he really needs to make those throws")

Then the next throw is flawless.  The problem is, in the NFL, you don't get to make the next throw, because the first throw got picked.

Anyway, I wish Allen the best (obviously!) because he's a Bill now, but I think talk about him having "fixed" his accuracy issues as shown by Combine/Pro Day etc is not quite right.  He's made some improvements, but he has a long way to go.

I just don't know if we have the right coaches in place to help the guy.  [Just - for God's sake McBeane don't bring in Dave Lee.]

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

One thing that encourages me is playing at a small town high school, then a junior college, then a small school like Wyoming, there’s absolutely no way he received the level of quality QB coaching that he will get in the NFL.

Just getting the attention of someone like Jordan Palmer has helped tremendously as evident by his performance in the senior bowl with players as good as he is. They say one of his best traits is that he is very coachable, so I’m encouraged to watch this kid develop.

Isn't that also a bit of a concern being that old dogs can't learn new tricks?

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Isn't that also a bit of a concern being that old dogs can't learn new tricks?

He’s not a dog, or old for that matter. He’s a 21 year old QB that is just now seeing a level of coaching he never saw before.

That goes for all 4 of the top QB’s in the draft. None of them are finished products. All of them must learn how to be an NFL QB.

1 minute ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

He’s not a dog, or old for that matter. He’s a 21 year old QB that is just now seeing a level of coaching he never saw before.

That goes for all 4 of the top QB’s in the draft. None of them are finished products. All of them must learn how to be an NFL QB.

Fair enough. Optimism like this may be needed for this year!?

• Like (+1) 1

This isn’t our first Rodeo.

As Bills fans we have seen it before.  As NFL fans we have seen it before.

Work on your mechanics all you like in Pro Days and Practice.

But

The NFL is many times a single possession game.  Now when it’s late in the 4th QT and your body has been beat up. On 3rd and 9 and the defense schemes a complex package...what are you going to do?  Is your brain going to fry and all your old habits return?  Or are you going to make the play.

immediately think of Fitz and Tebow for players who would revert to their old muscle memory of throwing when the fatigue or stress or pressure set it.

Allen is going to need to overcome his own natural flawed instincts.  For which he will need time.  Lots of time.  And trial and error.

we shouldn’t pull back the curtain too soon, but we also shouldn’t pull the cord on him either once he is in.  It wouldn’t be like his struggles are wasting a good Buffalo team.

Allen needs to learn how to play Chess now.  Not checkers.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar