Beane not indicating Josh Allen will definitely redshirt

I mean, duh.  Everyone should be competing for a job. If Allen is the best qb, he should play.  I will say that normally if it’s close, you give the edge to the young guy.  But in Allen’s case, I’d give the edge to the vet because our offense looks really shaky right now. 

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't necessarily agree with that. If his footwork is still inconsistent it makes no sense to throw him into a real NFL game. That will just ingrain his bad muscle memory. He must be brought along slowly. Our offense is probably going to suck this year no matter who the QB is. He needs to improve his mechanical issues before he should see the field IMO. Even if in every other way he's the best QB in training camp.

If he doesn’t improve his footwork, I think it’s highly unlikely he wins the starting job seeing as that will effect his accuracy.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

44 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

If he doesn’t improve his footwork, I think it’s highly unlikely he wins the starting job seeing as that will effect his accuracy.

McCarron and Peterman could conceivably be worse even if his footwork is inconsistent. I wish we had a real veteran QB here, that would be ideal. Maybe they feel better about McCarron than I do but they waited until every other FA QB was taken so that doesn't seem right. They must feel that Allen is closer to starting than people think.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McCarron and Peterman could conceivably be worse even if his footwork is inconsistent. I wish we had a real veteran QB here, that would be ideal. Maybe they feel better about McCarron than I do but they waited until every other FA QB was taken so that doesn't seem right. They must feel that Allen is closer to starting than people think.

I hoped the Bill's would of signed McCown for 1-2 years. NYJ's offered him 10 million for the year.

After Keenum, Bradford were signed there really wasn't much to choose from in the FA QB market other than McCarron or Bridgewater.

I don't think Beane knew who he could draft at the time of the FA decision.

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well Bean has said, if he wins the starting job, he will start. Even saying that, it's highly likely, even with a veteran QB, that Allen will start at some point in 2018. Teams just don't redshirt QBs anymore, Rogers and Mahomes, really being the only example.

How else do you get better at playing than playing?  I hope he wins it outright.  How could anyone else want something different?  Can I have the negative Nancy's 8 balls please?  Some of y'all are pathetic who already know he'll fail if he starts first year.  I feel sorry for y'all that you can't be cosiously optimistic.  

If he wins the job, he deserves it. There's no question about it. But where he's at now, as I and most people believe, the best move is to be patient for a little while. Keep working on his footwork, his timing with receivers, his accuracy. If you get him in the game too early, everything you're trying to refine in him might unravel and the bad habits will show up again. I wouldn't be surprised if the city starts calling for him to start very soon like how LA did for Goff, but only the coaches will know when he's ready. 

8 hours ago, prissythecat said:

You don’t think Peterman the great will challenge for starter position like a number of guys led by SaviorPeterman said?

Rodgers sat behind a HOF player.  There wasn’t much developing being done.  Same with Young .  He was actually the starter on a horrible Tampa Bay before being rescued by the Niners ?

Young is interesting because by his own account, he rescued himself. He was discussing RG III post game one time when Griffin was struggling. He said he saw a lot of himself in Griffin because he tried to play the same way in his USFL/ Tampa Bay days. Essentially Young said he was at a crossroads then and had to reinvent his game from the pocket, or he would have been out of the league. He then opined that Griffin needed to do the same. He was probably right in both cases. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

14 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't think he will. I think Allen is already playing catch-up and he has a lot to work on.

I bet it ends up similar to KC and Mahomes last year where we only see Allen in 1 or 2 games.

We'll see though.

I think the big difference there is the Chiefs had a franchise-quality QB in Smith. Not the case in Buffalo.