4th through 7th round of draft is not for filling needs

Logic

Just a quick note. It always bugs me when, int he 4th round and beyond, people get upset about certain picks. First of all, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY the complaining person has actually seen the person they're complaining about play football. Is anyone really gonna sit here and tell me they watched film on Teron Johnson from Weber State?

More importantly, though, the 4th through 7th rounds are not for filling perceived needs! They're just not. 

You find your starters and early big time contributors in rounds 1-3. Rounds 4-7 are for special teams players and depth, and hopefully those players also profile to long term starters or sub-package players.

So next time you want the 19th ranked wide receiver from Valdasta St and the Bills instead draft the 22nd ranked inside linebacker from Alcorn St, let's not pretend like it's a make-or-break crisis that's gonna cost the Bills the season. Okay? Okay.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just a quick note. It always bugs me when, int he 4th round and beyond, people get upset about certain picks. First of all, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY the complaining person has actually seen the person they're complaining about play football. Is anyone really gonna sit here and tell me they watched film on Teron Johnson from Weber State?

More importantly, though, the 4th through 7th rounds are not for filling perceived needs! They're just not. 

You find your starters and early big time contributors in rounds 1-3. Rounds 4-7 are for special teams players and depth, and hopefully those players also profile to long term starters or sub-package players.

So next time you want the 19th ranked wide receiver from Valdasta St and the Bills instead draft the 22nd ranked inside linebacker from Alcorn St, let's not pretend like it's a make-or-break crisis that's gonna cost the Bills the season. Okay? Okay.

Not to mention teams continually find DB’s in the 4th/5th rounds that are impact players due to how many DB’s teams utilize in the current NFL. 

I feel really good with Hyde/Poyer at Safety with Neal/Bush as depth along with White/Davis/Johnson/Gaines at CB.  

Johnson and Neal are guys who can help

us this year if needed.   The OL/WR prospects left are nothing more than what we already have. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...OL?...guess we're all set......interesting............

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just because we NEED a few offensive linemen doesn't necessarily mean that the ones left on the board are worth taking. What if the highest rated player on the Bills' board is a safety or corner, and he's highest ranked BY FAR. Do you want them to draft an inferior player just because they have a need? 

A fifth round offensive lineman isn't walking through the door and curing what ails the Bills in terms of run and pass protection. Honor value, find contributors, trust your board. Don't reach for need in late rounds to make fans happy.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...OL?...guess we're all set......interesting............

If you listened to Beane in his pressers yesterday and the day before, they will be filling more holes after the draft. There are FAs still out there which are as good as anything you will find in the 5-7 rounds.

Edited by billsfan1959

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Not to mention teams continually find DB’s in the 4th/5th rounds that are impact players due to how many DB’s teams utilize in the current NFL. 

I feel really good with Hyde/Poyer at Safety with Neal/Bush as depth along with White/Davis/Johnson/Gaines at CB.  

Johnson and Neal are guys who can help

us this year if needed.   The OL/WR prospects left are nothing more than what we already have. 

Agreed. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder with corners. Johnson will contribute on ST and defense for the Bills. 

Sirian Neal will also likely see immediate playing time in sub-packages as a big nickel, and will also contribute heavily on special teams.

That's the kind of thing the 4th and 5th rounds are for. Not taking need positions just so we can say we addressed them.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Interesting that someone actually gets it....

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I guess it would have been nice to have 2 more 2nd round and a third w all these needs. 

Indeed it would have. But if we had kept all those picks and "filled all of our needs", it would have sucked to not have a potential franchise QB and freak ILB just as bad, and people would've been upset anyway.

Just now, horned dogs said:

A.J.McCarron thinks he has plenty of help, he can't wait to play in this offense.smh

Guess you thought there was a 5th round receiver out there that would change the offense's fate this year? smh. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you listened to Beane in his pressers yesterday and the day before, they will be filling more holes after the draft. There are FAs still out there which are as good as anything you will find in the 5-7 rounds.

...thanks for update...did not see pressers.....

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I just love seeing people in full panic mode. WHERE ARE THE OFFENSIVE PLAYERS?!? THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

No playoffs now cause they didn’t get their 5th round WR.. Cancel the season,  return the season tickets, cancel the internet, no lunch money for the kids Monday for school.