Beane & McDermott Address the Buffalo Media after Round 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Kinda funny to think they needed to pass on Watson last year so they could get ammo to trade up for Josh Allen. I guess it's just a different level beyond my comprehension.

They think they’re smarter than everyone else.

The results suggest otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Kinda funny to think they needed to pass on Watson last year so they could get ammo to trade up for Josh Allen. I guess it's just a different level beyond my comprehension.

Right now, it's honestly nauseating 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Disinterested Observer said:

The first round is not even over yet and the sky is already falling. The negativity is overwhelming.

Just on this board

42 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

You're not seeing the parallels - they got rid of their decent, but not long-term starting QB (Fitz/Taylor) and then felt desperate to get their unproven, project QB.  In both instances the decision could have been more measured and prudent without overreaching or giving up a lot of draft capital on a QB that is far from a sure thing, and has one of the biggest red flags that QBs can have - accuracy issues (both EJ and Allen were rated very low in that respect). 

If you want to argue about differences, you could make the case that Manuel had already hit his ceiling in college - he was who he was by the time his senior year came around.  Allen seems to have a little more room to grow playing with more talent around him (but maybe not in front of him - the OL isn't looking too good right now).  I hope that I am humbled and wrong - I want the guy to succeed now that he is a Bill, but I'm pretty confident that the Bills didn't get the best QB available to them in the past two drafts and that is how you've got to assess this draft - they moved back last year and gave up opportunities to move up this year - will Allen be better than Watson, Mahomes, Rosen and Jackson - that should be how this should be judged.

i'm just really happy the Browns spurned the Bills for the 4th pick. The price must have been insane and it was definitely the same player. I would have had to go to the hospital.

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

I just wish they weren't so tone deaf.

Bills fans don't want to hear "he has a big arm! He's athletic! Snow and rain!".

We want to hear that the front office believes he can be the best quarterback in the league. That he can lead the team to championships. 

I really hope someone in the media is a little tough on them at some point in the near future, and asks them something like "other than being a nice kid from a farm and having a big arm, what do you actually see in him that makes you think he'll be successful?". But, ya know...journalism is horrific these days, so I won't hold my breath.

The Eagles used the exact same descriptions for Wentz:  great size, athletic, big arm. 

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen is the classic old school pick based on physical traits and potential.  These football idiots just can't help themselves when they run into a guy this tall, big, strong, and with such a strong arm.  

A more intelligent statistical analysis would steer you clear of Allen.

I agree with your comments on the weather/cold and how irrelevant all that is.

The NFL is like 30 years behind the curve on....everything.

Worked just fine for the idiots in Philly last yr. 

Edited by bobobonators

4 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

The Eagles used the exact same descriptions for Wentz:  great size, athletic, big arm. 

Worked just fine for the idiots in Philly last yr. 

Just stop it.  Wentz lit up his conference in college and that translated for him in the league.  Allen has lit up NOTHING.  NOTHING.  He struggled against guys that are going to be doing what you and I are doing, namely, watching football from the couch.  That's why people are so concerned with the pick.

• Like (+1) 3

For those of you who believe that Beane primarily chose Allen because he is used to playing in the snow and bad weather, you are a bunch of idiots.  They aren't going to put this much thought process because he has experience and the tools to play in this sort of weather.  They chose him because they thought he was the best QB overall that was available for them.  They clearly had Allen as either their #2 or #3 guy, they targeted him.  They chose him above Rosen.    Whether he turns out to be better or not is a whole another question but the fact is they thought he was the best guy for them.   The weather is just a bunch of histrionics you little turds are using to justify your anger.  

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Anyone got the odds on that one?  I'm going with break - all in.  Actually I'd even say it will be this draft in general, because this was the restock the cupboard draft after jettisoning lots of pretty talented players.  Sure you needed to get a QB, but giving away even more assets to move up again?  Come on man.  That's blowing your load before you even get started.

Ok. Ive heard enough of your whining. Explain how we would stocked the cupboard if we took Rosen at the same spot ? They had Edmunds high on their board and went and got him before someone else did. You don't know Jack or shyt about how Allen will do yet or Rosen for that matter. Your opinion and your entitled to it but listen to yourself.

50 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how fans and media know that accuracy is something that can never improve (therefore a qb who had poor accuracy in college will never succeed in the NFL) yet Allen was still considered In the top tier of the draft this year and at times discussed as the #1 overall pick by the professional front office personal of real NFL teams...

Cool point, you're totally the first one to say this.

9 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Just stop it.  Wentz lit up his conference in college and that translated for him in the league.  Allen has lit up NOTHING.  NOTHING.  He struggled against guys that are going to be doing what you and I are doing, namely, watching football from the couch.  That's why people are so concerned with the pick.

College:

Allen 5066yds 44td 21int

Wentz  5115yds 45td 14int

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

For those of you who believe that Beane primarily chose Allen because he is used to playing in the snow and bad weather, you are a bunch of idiots.  They aren't going to put this much thought process because he has experience and the tools to play in this sort of weather.  They chose him because they thought he was the best QB overall that was available for them.  They clearly had Allen as either their #2 or #3 guy, they targeted him.  They chose him above Rosen.    Whether he turns out to be better or not is a whole another question but the fact is they thought he was the best guy for them.   The weather is just a bunch of histrionics you little turds are using to justify your anger.  

I think the "why" is the important part here. There are a lot of guys with huge arms pulling the night shift. What else can he do at an elite level?

25 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Wentz also completed 64.1% of his passes and had a 45-14 TD-INT ratio at North Dakota State, so....not exactly apples to apples!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Wentz also completed 64.1% of his passes and had a 45-14 TD-INT ratio at North Dakota State, so....not exactly apples to apples!

College:

Allen 5066yds 44td 21int

Wentz was also in school four years at ND State. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Disinterested Observer said:

The first round is not even over yet and the sky is already falling. The negativity is overwhelming.

Everyone I've heard (on TV and the radio) has praised what the Bills have done w/ these two picks. Buffalo fans...just need to be miserable for some reason. I don't get it. We got a QB, not the QB some people wanted...but a QB. There were four highly rated QB's, so odds of 75% being unhappy w/ the pick. 

People are now complaining about the lack of picks? People were demanding the Bills move up in the draft to get a QB. We did and what do you think happened? We lost picks. Duh! Could we have waited at 12 for Allen, possibly. Edmunds wouldn't have been at 22 though. He was projected to be a Top 10 pick by many. I'll stick w/ the Bills assessments. I'll stick w/ the experts reviews. I'll ignore the miserable individuals who it pains to crack a smile and be happy. We have a QB, let's attempt to support him. I'm all in! 

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

College:

Allen 5066yds 44td 21int

Wentz was also in school four years at ND State. 

That's a plus to wentz, not Allen.

1 minute ago, 707BillsFan said:

We have a QB, let's attempt to support him. I'm all in! 

And his name is AJ McCarron. Using your brain doesn't hurt as much as you might think.