Bills 8th Most in Official Cap Space Entering Draft: $19.37 Million

I realize while we're all foaming and frothing at the mouth about a QB for the Draft, this might be an under utilized subject, but found it interesting. Beane has said they were limiting spending due to the dead money and Cap position that dead money put them in. Also, it goes to the heart of his philosophy that you build a team through the Draft. But, in the event a trade were to happen FOR an existing NFL player, I just wanted to put this out there that despite our sometimes freakish obsession about the Cap position for the Bills, there is still plenty of money out there for them to make moves if they so choose.

To me also worthy of note are the Jets, who are 7th at $21.8 million which when you consider how much Cap space they had to start FA, speaks volumes to their philosophy: WIN NOW TO SAVE ALL OUR JOBS!!!!! 

Count me among the few who thought the Jets trading up to 3 was a fools move and based in fear. I like what Beane is doing...but, I am biased. 

Edit: Per Field Yates - Twitter-verse

Edited by BigBuff423

Withholding judgement here until I see what our GM either does or doesn't do.  I can live with sitting at 12 and taking anybody there that they feel is worthy of the pick.  Trading 3 or 4 picks to move up for Allen... I think that I'd have a big problem with that.

59 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I realize while we're all foaming and frothing at the mouth about a QB for the Draft, this might be an under utilized subject, but found it interesting. Beane has said they were limiting spending due to the dead money and Cap position that dead money put them in. Also, it goes to the heart of his philosophy that you build a team through the Draft. But, in the event a trade were to happen FOR an existing NFL player, I just wanted to put this out there that despite our sometimes freakish obsession about the Cap position for the Bills, there is still plenty of money out there for them to make moves if they so choose.

To me also worthy of note are the Jets, who are 7th at $21.8 million which when you consider how much Cap space they had to start FA, speaks volumes to their philosophy: WIN NOW TO SAVE ALL OUR JOBS!!!!! 

Count me among the few who thought the Jets trading up to 3 was a fools move and based in fear. I like what Beane is doing...but, I am biased. 

that's interesting..close to $40M dead and still with some sizable room. But if we keep all our picks, some of that gets eaten into a bit I am guessing.

I like what Beane is doing, think it will take another year or two to truly come to fruition, but I believe he is setting this team up for long term success with modern views on the economics of the draft and what positions to draft vs pay in FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

The Jets move was clearly to prevent a division rival ( also QB needy) from jumping ahead of them in the draft order. Call it fear or whatever, but it was absolutely legitimate. If they didn't cough up what the Colts were asking , the Bills would be sitting at 3 right now. If they get a good QB, no one will think about the 3 2nd rounders. 

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I have no idea what you're saying. 

Sorry, seemed obvious: despite rumors of Bills being Cap poor, there is still quite a bit of money in the till...presuming about 9-10 million for Draft picks, that leaves about 9-10 million if it's needed, such as trading FOR a player. 

Just now, BigBuff423 said:

Sorry, seemed obvious: despite rumors of Bills being Cap poor, there is still quite a bit of money in the till...presuming about 9-10 million for Draft picks, that leaves about 9-10 million if it's needed, such as trading FOR a player. 

Still quite far off from the top 5 though in terms of $$.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Jets move was clearly to prevent a division rival ( also QB needy) from jumping ahead of them in the draft order. Call it fear or whatever, but it was absolutely legitimate. If they didn't cough up what the Colts were asking , the Bills would be sitting at 3 right now. If they get a good QB, no one will think about the 3 2nd rounders. 

I disagree on both counts: it was absolutely fear based, IMHO, because they were "afraid" someone would jump ahead and I do NOT think Buffalo would be at 3 given how Beane has let this play out. Because, I think we can safely assume Beane has made the rounds in calling everyone in the top 10 about cost to move up and knew Indy's price and said it was too steep. So, he decided to back out and wait...Jets panicked and paid a big price for a team that is not close to the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Gesh !!! They started at #6.   If a DE and RB were taken they started out with QB #4.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Still quite far off from the top 5 though in terms of $$.

Absolutely agree. But that wasn't really the point in my mind, it was more a matter of the Bills not being precluded from making additional transactions should they want to and that despite the narrative the Bills "don't have any Cap space", it's quite the contrary. 

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I disagree on both counts: it was absolutely fear based, IMHO, because they were "afraid" someone would jump ahead and I do NOT think Buffalo would be at 3 given how Beane has let this play out. Because, I think we can safely assume Beane has made the rounds in calling everyone in the top 10 about cost to move up and knew Indy's price and said it was too steep. So, he decided to back out and wait...Jets panicked and paid a big price for a team that is not close to the playoffs.

The fear was real. The Bills would be at 3 right now. End of story. They took the Jets offer because they had better picks to give. Indy never had a realistic price for the Bills to pay if the Jets were compliant with their demands. They wanted a chance to take picks from both. If the Jets said " no thanks" , I'd bet the farm the Bills are at pick 3 right now.