Job's & Medical For Everyone!

Dante

5 hours ago, GG said:

Why would conservatives support a government program that will turn into another patronage racket

The issue is what to do about those at the bottom, and maybe a whole lot more folk in the future? Technologists are promoting a UBI, a payment for nothing, because of their expectation that AI will eliminate many jobs, leading to social unrest.  A guaranteed jobs program is more like workfare, or the WPA and CCC from the 1930s.  I'd prefer to see people paid for some type of work than paid for nothing...

27 minutes ago, GG said:

If you mean a car is riding your bumper because you're doing 55MPH in the left lane, you're correct.

This.

PA drivers are EGREGIOUS violators of the slowness in the left lane.

Edited by joesixpack

Just now, joesixpack said:

This.

PA drivers are EGREGIOUS violators of the slowness in the left lane.

Really?  Usually, as soon as I get out of the DC area and in to PA, that gets much better.

I always assumed it was because of the unholy prevalence of left exits on the expressways in the Baltimore-Washington corridor, which trains everyone to dawdle in the left while approaching their exit.

Just now, DC Tom said:

Really?  Usually, as soon as I get out of the DC area and in to PA, that gets much better.

I always assumed it was because of the unholy prevalence of left exits on the expressways in the Baltimore-Washington corridor, which trains everyone to dawdle in the left while approaching their exit.

Invariably, if you have to slam on the brakes in the left-most lane, it's because some PA yokel is doing 52.5 MPH in the left lane of a 70MPH highway.

31 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

That's because they make you turn right and exit before you can go left there so drivers are pissed off as soon as they back out of the driveway.

Those are ADL jam cars.  The Anti Destination League. 

Ah, the jug handles. NJ has a lot of divided highways with no left hand turn lanes so the jug handle is their solution. Even with them I would notice that sometimes the same business would have duplicate stores within a mile of each other but on different sides of the street.

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

I'm for the federal government proving that it can live within its means for a period of years before any additional underfunded programs are unveiled. 

That and these programs have no limits.  Once the pols realize that 25% of the available and unemployed workforce doesn't want to work, we'll have to have separate benefits for them. 

I thought everyone knows that Reagan, Bush2, and Trump proved deficits don't matter?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TPS said:

I thought everyone knows that Reagan, Bush2, and Trump proved deficits don't matter?

And Obama.  And Bush I.  And Clinton...although he did it in inimitable Clinton fashion by conning everyone into believing they didn't exist.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Couldn't help to point out the irony of this observation AND criticizing NJ for making everyone turn right to make a left turn.

Personally I love jug handle turns because they make traffic move better.

45 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And Obama.  And Bush I.  And Clinton...although he did it in inimitable Clinton fashion by conning everyone into believing they didn't exist.

I focused on the fellas who said their tax cuts wouldn't increase deficits. Maybe the third time is the charm...?

1 hour ago, GG said:

Couldn't help to point out the irony of this observation AND criticizing NJ for making everyone turn right to make a left turn.

Personally I love jug handle turns because they make traffic move better.

I love the jug handles, too.  But I can see how, when traffic volume gets above a certain volume, they become badly counterproductive.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I focused on the fellas who said their tax cuts wouldn't increase deficits. Maybe the third time is the charm...?

In Bush II's defense, he had a notional surplus that he and Congress had to do SOMETHING with, that happened to coincide with a bursting dotcom bubble and the worst terrorist attack in history.

You might argue those tax cuts were contributory, but they sure as hell weren't causal.

26 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

In Bush II's defense, he had a notional surplus that he and Congress had to do SOMETHING with, that happened to coincide with a bursting dotcom bubble and the worst terrorist attack in history.

You might argue those tax cuts were contributory, but they sure as hell weren't causal.

Bush II was a War President

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

They could've paid off debt like good fiscal conservatives are supposed to do. As for causality...

The surplus was 2.3% of GDP in 2000. With the dot com bust and 911, it dropped to 1.2% in 2001 as unemployment increased over the year from 3.9% to 5.7%, causing revenues to decline by 1.1%, while the spending share was constant. The tax cuts went into effect in 2002 and we're phased in over several  years. Unemployment went up slightly over the year from 5.7 to 6%. The budget went from a 1.2% surplus to -1.5% deficit, a swing of 2.7%. Revenues fell from 18.8% to 17% (-1.8% with personal taxes 1.5% of that) and spending increased by 0.9%. The tax cuts alone would've created (caused) a deficit in 2002 since the unemployment change was minimal.

As the phase-in was accelerated in 2003, the revenue share fell from 17% to 15.7%, and the deficit worsened from -1.5 to -3.3% of GDP.  The tax cuts were the most significant "cause" of the larger deficit, as the personal revenue share fell by 1%. So, I'd say they sure as Hell were causal, since the unemployment impact mostly occurred in 2001. I would add that increased spending was contributory.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/24/2018 at 6:40 PM, Dante said:

lol ok, you get at it, Bernie. What a  bumbling old washed up communist charlatan.

Sheesh, since I have a job and pay my own med can I get Sharks season tix for next year? Good ones, lower club level.  Like I should get my fair share of the Fed gifties. 

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/384554-sanders-to-announce-proposal-to-guarantee-jobs-to-all-americans

Look at it this way. If Hillary runs against him again in 2020, she'll be promising free blow jobs and marijuana for everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

Look at it this way. If Hillary runs against him again in 2020, she'll be promising free blow jobs and marijuana for everyone.

Blow jobs from Hillary :ph34r:

Hopefully she'll follow the 90s policy and delegate to somebody younger and prettier

21 minutes ago, TPS said:

They could've paid off debt like good fiscal conservatives are supposed to do. As for causality...

Except you pay off the debt as it matures.  And you can't just sock the cash away for when the debt matures - you have to do something with it.

Hell, YOU taught me that.

19 minutes ago, Nanker said:

ugh..will that be part of her job creation program? Turning hookers legit and they will accept EBT cards? How funny would that be?

Edited by Dante