Flutie agent contacted ESPN upon release

I think he wants Theisman's job, creating yet another QB controversy. Similar resumes except Theisman started in Canada & actually won a few post season NFL games. Both considered too small & both ended up starting in the NFL. Doug's had a more stable homelife than Theisman, who publicly humiliated his 1st wife when he dumped her for actress Cathy Lee Crosby and proclaimed Crosby as the only woman he ever truly loved. If Flutie replaced Theisman I don't think many people would be too upset.

I think he wants Theisman's job, creating yet another QB controversy.  Similar resumes except Theisman started in Canada & actually won a few post season NFL games.  Both considered too small & both ended up starting in the NFL.  Doug's had a more stable homelife than Theisman, who publicly humiliated his 1st wife when he dumped her for actress Cathy Lee Crosby and proclaimed Crosby as the only woman he ever truly loved.  If Flutie replaced Theisman I don't think many people would be too upset.

273273[/snapback]

Theisman and Flutie both played in Canada, but their NFL careers are night and day. Theisman was a star player who lead dynamic offenses, played in Super Bowls and even won one. I'm sure you understand this, but as Len Pasquarelli noted recently, Flutie's legend greatly exceeds his accomplishments in the NFL, which are rather miniscule.

Theisman and Flutie both played in Canada, but their NFL careers are night and day.  Theisman was a star player who lead dynamic offenses, played in Super Bowls and even won one.  I'm sure you understand this, but as Len Pasquarelli noted recently, Flutie's legend greatly exceeds his accomplishments in the NFL, which are rather miniscule.

273355[/snapback]

Not to mention that likability and ability are not only mutually exclusive in the announcer's booth but you don't seem to need either to be successful. I am not sure if I have ever heard of more than 2-3 people in ten years who think Theisman is any good as an announcer, and 90% hate him and think he's terrible. And yet, ESPN probably doesn't mind that at all.

Not to mention that likability and ability are not only mutually exclusive in the announcer's booth but you don't seem to need either to be successful. I am not sure if I have ever heard of more than 2-3 people in ten years who think Theisman is any good as an announcer, and 90% hate him and think he's terrible. And yet, ESPN probably doesn't mind that at all.

273357[/snapback]

I guess then, I am in the minority! I like Theisman, as much as any color guys doing NFL games. In my opinion, he has improved dramatically over the years. Granted, I think all sports programming is choking on its' own vomit at this point, but Theisman, and Maguire do a very good job of breaking down plays, which almost no one bothers to do any more, during the game broadcasts.

I guess then, I am in the minority!  I like Theisman, as much as any color guys doing NFL games. In my opinion, he has improved dramatically over the years.  Granted, I think all sports programming is choking on its' own vomit at this point, but Theisman, and Maguire do a very good job of breaking down plays, which almost no one bothers to do any more, during the game broadcasts.

273582[/snapback]

Yes, he jumps on each of the five plays he's gone over the diagrams for with each Offensive Coordinator in the afternoon before the game. He does a great job of parroting their explainations. I often think that's why he comes off so one-sided sometimes is because he either didn't have time to get to both coordinators before the game, or one of them told the shrimp to shove it.