Advantages to the drought being over

Not that the endless speculation about the imminent draft isn't entertaining, but I would like to regress in this post a little bit.

I am so thankful for the playoff drought to be over for so many reasons.  But here's a story I am sure a few of you would like to hear.

My family and I live in Northern Virginia, which is Redskin territory.  My son wore his Bills hat to school yesterday and immediately kids at his school told him that the Bills suck.

He was able to turn to them and ask who they liked.  "The Redskins" they replied.  "Well, at least the Bills made the playoffs last year," was his reponse.

I am so thankful for this drought to be over, now for my son's sake.

Any similar stories?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Similar story.

Friend at work is a Cowboys fan and a relentless ballbuster/trash talker. Never stops.

Any time he has started in on me about "The Bills Suck!" or "the draft won't do enough to make the Bills good!", I am able to say "remind me again, which of our teams watched the playoffs from the couch last year?". Of course, he's able to come back with "remind me which of our teams dropped 50 points on the other in a Super Bowl?"...so the Bills still have some major work to do in order to give us fans more ammo!

The best for me has been occasionally seeing graphics pop up on screen talking about the longest playoff droughts in North American sports. Having the Bills' name no longer be on that list is so, so gratifying!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

If I'm on a roadie/vacation..I'll sport a t-shirt and or cap..I usually get a Hey,are you from Buffalo?,I'm originally from (fill in the blank...North Tonawanda,Lancaster,South Buffalo,Clarence,Amherst,Hamburg,Springville,Cheektowaga,West Seneca,Colden,Alden,Batavia,Brockport,lackawana,Rochester,Penbrook,Kenmore).

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If I'm on a roadie/vacation..I'll sport a t-shirt and or cap..I usually get a Hey,are you from Buffalo?,I'm originally from (fill in the blank...North Tonawanda,Lancaster,South Buffalo,Clarence,Amherst,Hamburg,Springville,Cheektowaga,West Seneca,Colden,Alden,Batavia,Brockport,lackawana,Rochester,Penbrook,Kenmore).

Blasdell.

Eagles fan who saw my cap told me gratz for getting into playoffs in January.  I said "thanks". He then said "I hope we meet you in Superbowl for we are the only NFCE team which has not beaten you there yet."

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Original Byrd Man said:

While I'm glad the drought  is over part  of me is lamenting their lower draft seeding.

If the Bills win the Super Bowl, I would be okay with picking 32nd for the next ten years in a row.

2 hours ago, Original Byrd Man said:

While I'm glad the drought  is over part  of me is lamenting their lower draft seeding.

Yeah. Overall, I'm glad the drought ended, because that was a HUGE albatross around the neck of this organization, BUT...

I would be remiss not to mention the following: For years and years, the Bills were a very middling team. Never good enough to make the playoffs, never bad enough to get a top three draft pick. In 2017, they FINALLY decided to hit reset, trade away players for assets, and aggressively embrace a rebuild. And what happened? Well, they made the playoffs, of course! It's almost like they failed at failing. 

Again, I'm happy about the way things worked out, but it's hard not to feel like the ONE year they really NEEDED to do poorly so that they could get their long sought after shot at a franchise QB, they finally played well enough to end the drought. Go figure. You can't write this stuff!

Edited by Logic
  • Haha (+1) 1

Never really felt the drought during the season to be honest.

Its not like Buffalo in all that time (maybe once) was ever a Top 6 Team in the AFC.  I think if they had been a good team but were missing it would have been difficult.

for me the hardest part of the drougght was the offseason moves, drafts, contracts and personnel hires.  All those moves were crushing and none provided any real relief that the drought would end.

• Like (+1) 1

Similar story as some of these on this end.  

Some Seahawks fan was ripping the Bills in the playoffs on Twitter and I responded:

"You know if you tilt your head and squint your eyes just right you can make it seem like Seattle made the playoffs."

It's not that we can rub other fans faces in it, but that we can give them a quick five with the backside of our hand if they give us any lip.

It's so sweet.

• Like (+1) 1