Dwarfing 1983

On 4/4/2018 at 3:00 AM, Buddo said:

In what sense do you mean 'dwarfing 1983'.

Is it just on numbers picked in the first round?

Or is it that they will all become successful NFL QBs?

Because I can't see any reason for the title of the OP.

FWIW, I don't have any particular arguments about the opinions of where, and to who the above QBs will go, I think it's a reasoned, and reasonable, analysis (or guess;) ), but I see no relationship to the '83 class being espoused.

Dwarfing is a hot take. Dwarfing 83 would need like 12 HOF quarterbacks

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

When more than 3 are first ballot HOF'ers then you can claim this. Right now you simply look clueless by saying this

Even then That doesn't "dwarf"

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It would cost them the chance to take a player they may perceive as a franchise-changer at another position, and then take a shot on a promising Eli-replacement later on.

It all depends upon how they see Eli.  If they see him as still effective, then the logical choice is to put pieces around him and take a shot on a later guy to develop.

I'm not sure that 4 of them aren't 1st round talents in this day and age where QB are overvalued, but I personally do believe we won't see as many QB go flying off the board at the top of the 1st as some believe.

It seems to me they see Eli as a guy they could move on from.  They certainly have given that impression.  There is no other franchise changer like QB and they will not have the #2 pick in such a QB rich class in the time Eli has left as a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It seems to me they see Eli as a guy they could move on from.  They certainly have given that impression.  There is no other franchise changer like QB and they will not have the #2 pick in such a QB rich class in the time Eli has left as a franchise QB.

They gave that impression last season when they benched him.  But the desperate coaches who benched him, McAdoo and Reese, are gone.

Gettleman and Shurmer, FWIW, have expressed confidence in Manning:

Ralph Vacchiano of SportsNet New York reports. "I think he's got years left," Shurmer said. "How much? I don't know. But I think he has time left and I look forward to working with him."  In addition to good vibes from the new head honcho, Manning was given a vote of confidence from another person in the Giants hierarchy, general manager Dave Gettleman, who said the quarterback has "plenty of arm talent and can win games."

So I'm not sure what you're seeing when you say "they see Eli as a guy they could move on from".  Would they consider drafting a QB at #2 if they feel someone equal to or better than Manning is there, sure.  Would they consider drafting another position, I think it's quite possible.  Gettleman has said about OL: "We've got to fix the o-line, let's be honest, Let's not kid each other. I told you at the top, big men allow you to compete and that's what we've got to fix", and has in general expressed his love of "hog mollie" big lineman.

In general teams that have a good QB, can afford to draft a QB later and take 3-4 shots hoping to find someone they can develop.  I would not bet money that Gettleman won't take a different position at #2 if there's someone he likes.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They gave that impression last season when they benched him.  But the desperate coaches who benched him, McAdoo and Reese, are gone.

Gettleman and Shurmer, FWIW, have expressed confidence in Manning:

Ralph Vacchiano of SportsNet New York reports. "I think he's got years left," Shurmer said. "How much? I don't know. But I think he has time left and I look forward to working with him."  In addition to good vibes from the new head honcho, Manning was given a vote of confidence from another person in the Giants hierarchy, general manager Dave Gettleman, who said the quarterback has "plenty of arm talent and can win games."

So I'm not sure what you're seeing when you say "they see Eli as a guy they could move on from".  Would they consider drafting a QB at #2 if they feel someone equal to or better than Manning is there, sure.  Would they consider drafting another position, I think it's quite possible.  Gettleman has said about OL: "We've got to fix the o-line, let's be honest, Let's not kid each other. I told you at the top, big men allow you to compete and that's what we've got to fix", and has in general expressed his love of "hog mollie" big lineman.

In general teams that have a good QB, can afford to draft a QB later and take 3-4 shots hoping to find someone they can develop.

They benched him because he was playing poorly.

He's entering his 15th season and his play is in decline.  He has led them to one winning season in the last 5.  The talk of a possible trade was rampant in late November and December--so it's not what I'm "seeing" here.

The "vote of confidence" has nothing to do with them thinking that Eli is approaching the end of his career by all objective criteria.   They can keep him and draft his replacement while the opportunity is golden.  They can draft a nice O-lineman anywhere after #2.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They benched him because he was playing poorly.

He's entering his 15th season and his play is in decline.  He has led them to one winning season in the last 5.  The talk of a possible trade was rampant in late November and December--so it's not what I'm "seeing" here.

The "vote of confidence" has nothing to do with them thinking that Eli is approaching the end of his career by all objective criteria.   They can keep him and draft his replacement while the opportunity is golden.  They can draft a nice O-lineman anywhere after #2.

Vote of confidence at times is really just a pending separation. Reminds me of the Titans owner talking about Mularkey and he was fired days later after losing in the divisional round.

Normal NFL franchises with new GMs and HCs typically get their guy at QB unless they inherit a really good one.  

The primary thing which would preclude Gettleman from taking a QB is whether he wants to compete this season. He's a 67 year old GM in his first year at the helm with NYG, so I'm thinking he wants to compete out of the box. Having a QB battle in camp between the 2nd overall pick and Manning (provided he's not dealt) would be difficult for a new HC and GM.  

And I don't see Manning being dealt on draft day. 

23 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Vote of confidence at times is really just a pending separation. Reminds me of the Titans owner talking about Mularkey and he was fired days later after losing in the divisional round.

Normal NFL franchises with new GMs and HCs typically get their guy at QB unless they inherit a really good one.  

The primary thing which would preclude Gettleman from taking a QB is whether he wants to compete this season. He's a 67 year old GM in his first year at the helm with NYG, so I'm thinking he wants to compete out of the box. Having a QB battle in camp between the 2nd overall pick and Manning (provided he's not dealt) would be difficult for a new HC and GM.  

And I don't see Manning being dealt on draft day. 

I'm not saying they would deal Manning at this point (they won't).

But they have to draft his replacement soon and this is likely the best chance they will get in the year (MAYBE 2) he has left.

But your reason for passing on this opportunity (concern about some sort of "difficulty" having a top draft pick in camp with the current franchise QB) is exactly what will get a new GM fired when Manning inevitably falls apart and they spend the next few seasons searching for his replacement.

That's career suicide, and completely avoidable.