Frankly Speaking ~ A Non-Political Thought About Ethnicity & the QB Spot.

Hello everyone and welcome to Frankly Speaking.

D9DRZGg.jpg

Frankly Speaking is straight talk about The Buffalo Bills, the team that put the “We” in weenie.

This topic is a perilous one but I will go ahead and say what I think. I hope everyone will please allow me the kindness to believe me when I say I am on the level and I have no agenda here aside from suggesting an idea.

That is the truth. Please read what I say before forming an opinion about the post, the idea, or me.

This post is about an idea I have that I think is worth considering when we look at the ethnicity of NFL quarterbacks.

I will begin by mentioning that almost nobody can do it. Almost nobody can be a top NFL QB. At most there are 16 above average quarterbacks out of every male in the US who would like to do that job.

So what does that amount to? One in a million eligible males? One in two million? I don't know but it is a very, very small percentage.

A short incomplete list of what a man needs to be a prototypical NFL Quarterback is to:

Be 6'2” to 6'6”.

Be solidly built enough to take hits.

Be able to understand the defense a team is likely to throw at you.

Be able to track a lot of moving players (receivers and d-backs etc).

Have a mental picture of where your teammates are supposed to be at a given time.

Know what they are going to do.

Be able to do all that very quickly.

Be able to repeatedly throw the ball on target very reliably.

So picture the group of men who can do all that at a very high level.

Now take away everyone from that small group, who also has the skills to play professional basketball.

Who do we have left?

Expanding the viewpoint beyond the football world to include American sports in general, it seems to me the overlap between body type and skills and drive and dedication needed, is between quarterback and basketball player.

The rest of the NFL players are too big and heavy, or too short, or can't throw.

People start to track into the sports they dedicate to when they are 11 or 12 years old or even younger. It is way easier to find out you are good at basketball. All you need is a ball and a couple of friends. And you can play all the time. Football is more like joining the Marines and you need all kind of people and playbooks and equipment and a whole giant field. And you get to play half of a what, 8 games a year? So you work all year to play 4 hours of football at the high school level.

I like basketball it is fun to play. So maybe that effects my idea here but if I had been good enough at it there is no question I would have gone that way.

I don't know how much it matters at that point but playing for the NBA is way better in terms of money and practice and not getting injured and pay and longevity.

NBA players make something like 3 times the money and they don't have to end up with their head held on by bolts like Manning and limping around or having their legs broken off and stuff. And they get to play much , much more instead of training nearly all the time to play what amounts to 8 hours a year.

It would be a dream come true if I could QB the Bills to a championship. There is nothing I would like more in the sports world. But the NBA? I would be an NBA player if I could choose. And I kind of hate to say it, but for me it wouldn't even be close. I like to watch football way better but playing basketball is very fun and I would do it in a heartbeat.

And I think that is what they do, like I would do.

I am not saying there are a ton of people who could be good QBs in the NBA. Remember almost nobody, out of everybody, can do it.

But I bet ya there are 5.

This is not meant to be anything but to convey an idea about mental picture. LeBron here doesn't even look but he knows where to pass the ball. Plus it is just a fun clip all on it's own.

Thanks for reading I hope it was ok to say.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, jmc12290 said:

What was the thought about ethnicity?

I think that the OP may be conflating ethnicity with "color."   Color is only a few cells deep.  Ethnicity is generally considered to be a multifaceted collection of traits, both material and immaterial.  I believe ethnicity is a more popular term because "race" and "color" have become loaded words.  

Assuming the OP was "right" about 5 NFL QB's hiding in the NBA, he may be on to something.  I think that's a HUGE if.   This is the dilemma US Soccer, Hockey and Baseball have all faced on the international level for decades.  The talent follows the money and for whatever reason, American money has supported the NFL and NBA more faithfully than the other larger sports.

Regardless, I hope the OP's got thick skin, because I can see this conversation spiraling out of control in a hurry!

Mr. BadLandsMeanie, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Mr. BadLandsMeanie, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ok.  A simple wrong would have done just fine.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dulles said:

I think that the OP may be conflating ethnicity with "color."   Color is only a few cells deep.  Ethnicity is generally considered to be a multifaceted collection of traits, both material and immaterial.  I believe ethnicity is a more popular term because "race" and "color" have become loaded words.  

Assuming the OP was "right" about 5 NFL QB's hiding in the NBA, he may be on to something.  I think that's a HUGE if.   This is the dilemma US Soccer, Hockey and Baseball have all faced on the international level for decades.  The talent follows the money and for whatever reason, American money has supported the NFL and NBA more faithfully than the other larger sports.

Regardless, I hope the OP's got thick skin, because I can see this conversation spiraling out of control in a hurry!

Yep that is why I used that word.

And yes I do. Thanks dulles.

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

what did any of that have to do with ethnicity??

You might want to stop watching Hardwood Classics on NBA TV and start watching some current games.  I think the OP was referring to the predominant "ethnic" makeup of the NBA and the concurrent dearth of color at the QB position in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dulles said:

You might want to stop watching Hardwood Classics on NBA TV and start watching some current games.  I think the OP was referring to the predominant "ethnic" makeup of the NBA and the concurrent dearth of color at the QB position in the NFL.  

Yeah, but he didn't say any of that. He talks why great QBs are rare and why being an NBA player would be better for your body and pocketbook...but nowhere does he say that most QBs are white or that most NBA players are black. 

Even if he did...so what? That's merely an observation...not a discussion or an argument or even a point of view. 

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension class, Sparky. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Yeah, but he didn't say any of that. He talks why great QBs are rare and why being an NBA player would be better for your body and pocketbook...but nowhere does he say that most QBs are white or that most NBA players are black. 

Even if he did...so what? That's merely an observation...not a discussion or an argument or even a point of view. 

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension class, Sparky. 

How does that work?  You concede the very concepts to which I point your attention, yet declare that I need a reading comprehension class?  
The point of my "Hardwood Classics" jab illustrates the point.  The OP didn't need to declare the predominant racial makeup of the NBA nor does he need to explicitly remind us of the QB situation in the NFL.  Those things are obvious to even the casual reader.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dulles said:

How does that work?  You concede the very concepts to which I point your attention, yet declare that I need a reading comprehension class?  
The point of my "Hardwood Classics" jab illustrates the point.  The OP didn't need to declare the predominant racial makeup of the NBA nor does he need to explicitly remind us of the QB situation in the NFL.  Those things are obvious to even the casual reader.  

There isn't a dearth of black QB's.  

It's also the dumbest point of all time. You know what other sport has WAY MORE black athletes than QB's?  The rest of the NFL.