Is Derwin James the Hybrid LB The Bill's Are Looking For ?

Derwin James is the chess piece coveted by most every team.  TE's and HB's are in vogue now.  And hybrid LB/S and CB/S are valued on defense.  Power forwards running wheel routes- fight fire with fire

Having just now, late at night, watched the youtube "film" on all the relevant LBs, including #3 from FSU, I would like to offer the following very technical and high-level analysis: Derwin James looks fast and capable against the pass; nearly his entire highlight package contains him making plays against called passes and QBs improvising off of called passing plays. He flashes brilliantly against the pass. But very few of these highlights reveal downhill run stops and gap integrity. You know, boring, traditional linebacker stuff.

Rashaan Evans, on the other hand, has a youtube reel filled with shooting gaps, setting and/or blowing up the edge, sifting through traffic to make plays at or behind the LOS, etc., in ADDITION to zone drops and buzzes to the flats and passing game disruptions all over the field.

Looks like Evans, just for example, is already primed to be a MIKE on any and every down.

Looks like James is ready to play a hybrid/nickel role whose game is less multifaceted, at least early on. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Derwin James is the chess piece coveted by most every team.  TE's and HB's are in vogue now.  And hybrid LB/S and CB/S are valued on defense.  Power forwards running wheel routes- fight fire with fire

Agreed, but at 12?

At 12 you're looking for an EVERY down impact LB, no? A guy who excels against the run and the pass.

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Looks like James is ready to play a hybrid/nickel role whose game is less multifaceted, at least early on. 

Agreed, but at 12?

At 12 you're looking for an EVERY down impact LB, no? A guy who excels against the run and the pass.

They ain't gonna select him at 12. This front office is smarter than that.

Edited by OJABBA

2 hours ago, OJABBA said:

They ain't gonna select him at 12. This front office is smarter than that.

Derwin James was a 5 star recruit who is 6'3 215 and ran a 4.7 with a 40" vertical.   He is compared to Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey.  Not to mention, it is a position of need.  This front office would be stupid not to consider him at 12

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Derwin James was a 5 star recruit who is 6'3 215 and ran a 4.7 with a 40" vertical.   He is compared to Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey.  Not to mention, it is a position of need.  This front office would be stupid not to consider him at 12

Then, who plays QB?

• Like (+1) 1

I like the player, as a safety, he'll be real good. But with our QB, LB, and WR needs, I don't see it happening.

He's not playing LB on first down, and we'd likely need to use pick 12 to get him, so I think that pretty much closes the door on this. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Then, who plays QB?

I would consider that position too at 12.  If that value is not there, I go with highest rated my board.  What team could not use Patrick Peterson?  We have plenty more draft picks, and maybe they like a QB outside top 4.  As far as your question, open battle between AJ McCarron, whichever QB we draft, and Nathan Peterman

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Lamar Jackson, silly!  Please try to keep up with the rest of us.

Ok.  How do you plan on drafting Jackson if you take Derwin James at 12?  There's no way Jackson lasts that long and he could go to Arizona at 15 or Miami at 11 before the 12th pick.

Just now, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Ok.  How do you plan on drafting Jackson if you take Derwin James at 12?  There's no way Jackson lasts that long and he could go to Arizona at 15 or Miami at 11 before the 12th pick.

There is a chance he is there at 22.  And we have plenty of chips to move up to top 15 to secure Jackson if that is their dude

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I would consider that position too at 12.  If that value is not there, I go with highest rated my board.  What team could not use Patrick Peterson?  We have plenty more draft picks, and maybe they like a QB outside top 4.  As far as your question, open battle between AJ McCarron, whichever QB we draft, and Nathan Peterman

One little problem with that: every other QB outside the top 4 absolutely sucks.

4 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I like the player, as a safety, he'll be real good. But with our QB, LB, and WR needs, I don't see it happening.

He's not playing LB on first down, and we'd likely need to use pick 12 to get him, so I think that pretty much closes the door on this. 

NFL teams run the nickel as a base defense 65% of the time.  I am ok with a nickel defense of Derwin James, Tre'Davious, Poyer, Vontae Davis, and Micah Hyde.  That would be one of best in NFL

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

and you know this how?

Did you enjoy watching Tyrod Taylor for the last 3 seasons?  Because, that's what you're getting with Jackson - he just happens to be 2, 3 inches taller than Taylor.

Rudolph and Luke Falk are nothing more than system QBs who will likely struggle mightily in the NFL.

Mike White and Kyle Lauletta are a couple of small school jamokes who beat up on pathetic teams and people (e.g. billspro) are enamored with their videogame like stats.  Their ceiling in the NFL is backup, at best.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective