What's a "Bridge Too Far" for You in Compensation Given Up to Move Up to #2?

I’d give up next years first to get to #1 so we can guarantee we get the guy we like most.  It all depends on how they view these prospects.  If they love ONE guy.  Do what you have to do.  I may not be happy about giving up all the other picks too, but if the QB ends up being a top 5 guy in the league, it’s well worth it.  If they think the top 5 guys all have a good shot to succeeed, staying at 12 and picking whoever’s left (or possibly trading up a couple spots to secure it), I’m all for that too.  As long as we get one of the top 5 guys I’m cool with what they do.

3 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

If they want both 2018 1sts and next years 1st then I'm out

I’d give them them that and nothing else.  Get the qb and have still have 4 picks in the first 96.  Do it.

11 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Literally nothing.

I don't understand how anyone can sit here after watching the Bills for the last 18 years say "A QB is not worth it"

Yup.  All the way to Arnhem, please.   I'll be pissed if they aren't picking in front of the Jets on draft day.

Chris Ivory

9 hours ago, Aaronthebaron said:

Look at the history of QB’s selected in the 1st round in picks 12 and beyond:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Outside of Aaron Rodgers, none have been worth a pick. Notable exceptions aside, unless you grab a guy in the first couple picks, don’t waste the pick. 

If if one of these qb’s feels like the real deal, I say you do what you can to get in the first two picks. If you have doubt, grab a guy outside of the 1st round and see if they can play down the road.

Glad you weren't the GM in '83.  I agree with you though.

They could trade every single pick if the guy is finally our franchise QB after the last guy left 21 years ago.

It's laughable when people talk about what "holes" we have, haven't we learned we we've drafted hundreds of players in the last 20 years and wasted all that talent because we have had garbage at QB, nothing matters but a good QB?

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Once again, we do not know what QB the Bills covet.  They may not even need to go to #2 to get their guy.  All 5 are CLOSELY graded and are ranked different with each team.  If the Bills covet say Allen or Baker, it would be foolish to trade to #2.  

There are a lot of options this year other than just trading to #2 for just the sake of doing so.  We do not need to make the trade just to make the fans feel better about the QB they pick.  If the Bills do not trade to #2 it doesn't mean they aren't committed to getting their guy.  Its QUITE possible the guy THEY want can be had at 7, 8, 9, 10, or even at their own pick at #12.  

The ONLY way it makes sense for the Bills to trade to #2 is if there is a SPECIFIC guy they feel is the an absolute MUST GET over the other top 5 QB's.  And I have a hard time believing any one of the top 5 can be seen by any team as so much better than the others its worth giving up a fortune for that one guy instead of spending less and taking someone they also have graded closely to him.  

End of day, the only way Beane makes any trade into the top 5 is only if there is a guy they absolutely covet over the others.  I personally think we won't do that and will instead let the draft fall to us and make a cheaper move up between 7 and 10 if one they covet is there or stay at 12.

That's what I hope happens, too.  Ideally, though I expect the Giants WILL take a QB and this perceived emphasis on Barkley is a well-constructed smokescreen, meaning picks #1-3 are ALL QB's, Allen is the QB the Jets are targeting.  And the Broncos pass on Mayfield at 5,  meaning that we can trade up starting at 6 for him, sacrificing half of what it would cost to move to 2.  And let's be honest- the new asking price for 2, which was already exceedingly high- is now preposterous, more so if Allen is the apple of our front-office's eye.

If the demands to trade up to #4 for him are reasonable (say 12, 22, & 53, which is still quite a haul for Cleveland and well exceeds the draft chart value) I'd even be fine with making that trade.

1 hour ago, greeneblitz said:

They could trade every single pick if the guy is finally our franchise QB after the last guy left 21 years ago.

It's laughable when people talk about what "holes" we have, haven't we learned we we've drafted hundreds of players in the last 20 years and wasted all that talent because we have had garbage at QB, nothing matters but a good QB?

The presupposition is that they ARE trading up for the right guy.  If it's Allen- and Allen is considered to have emerged as the #2 QB QB in the plurality of front-office's opinions- the cost still doesn't matter?  Maybe it doesn't to you- maybe you have faith in Allen or at least faith in our front-office's evaluation of him.

But I don't.

Again, if we had the benefit of hindsight and could separate the wheat from the chaff between these QB's (of course, Darnold at #1 is off-limits) that would be different.  I personally don't have the conviction- especially on Allen- to trade virtually all of this draft capital we've been amassing for a QB with notorious and real accuracy concerns, or one with Rosen's checkered injury history (I love Mayfield but I don't even view him worth #12, 22, 53, 56, 65, & next year's 1st).

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Irv said:

I don't understand why there are so many folks who think the Giants won't go QB at #2.  It's ludicrous.  

I'm actually convinced the Giants will take a QB at #2.  They could've had the deal the Jets made with the Colts, plus a little more- no doubt New York would rather have had the second overall pick than the third.  And I don't think the Giants refused to move out of it because they share the same city with the Jets or because they value Barkley that high- it's because they're taking Eli's successor now, knowing this opportunity isn't likely to come back any time soon.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/21/2018 at 5:18 AM, Aaronthebaron said:

Look at the history of QB’s selected in the 1st round in picks 12 and beyond:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Outside of Aaron Rodgers, none have been worth a pick. Notable exceptions aside, unless you grab a guy in the first couple picks, don’t waste the pick. 

If if one of these qb’s feels like the real deal, I say you do what you can to get in the first two picks. If you have doubt, grab a guy outside of the 1st round and see if they can play down the road.

Yeah, everybody knows there's a huge difference between #12 and #13. 

It's not just a matter of luck acting on a fairly small sample. No, couldn't be that.

In any case, Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco says hi. He hasn't been a very good QB over the course of his career, but winning a Lombardi makes him a success as a pick. Oh, and Chad Pennington was a sensational pick. One of the top two or so in the league at one point until his shoulder injury destroyed his arm strength.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, BmarvB said:

Can't afford to give up too much. There's still other holes to fill. If Mayfield drops that far down, by all means take him. Jackson seems most likely to be there for the Bills so there's no need to give up a king's ransom to move up is we don't have to. 2019 picks are out of the question.

Every year fans cry we gotta full holes.. all the while the biggest glaring hole never gets filled.  Get the QB and worry about other stuff later.