Dan Patrick: Bills have called Browns about #1 pick

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Im so confused ?‍♂️ 

This is my takeaway - the Bills and Browns have talked. This is a fact. They talked before the TT trade. They talked about AJ McCarron before they signed him. Now - did they call them specifically to discuss the #1 pick, which has been denied by league sources? Maybe not. Have they discussed what the price would be to trade for the #1 pick, at some point? Certainly possible without the former being true. 

• Like (+1) 1

They probably did talk, and I would be surprised to here the Bills have called about almost all the picks ahead of them to gauge what they are valued at.

This reminds me of the Toronto Blue Jays former GM Alex Anthapolous used to do. He would come out and say that he would call around on just about anybody to gauge what the market values are and find out who and what might be available. Most times there was no serious interest or details of trades worked out, but it gave them knowledge of what it might take or what guys are being valued at in case they did want to make a move.

9 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Never said these moves were made to get into the top ten come hell or high water.

And it's terrific you laid out the added bonuses of moving the players, but if you genuinely think all these moves had the QB position as an afterthought...

The second they restructured Tyrod last year you knew McDermott was not sold on him as the future, was willing to give him tight leashed audition. Hence the benching of Tyrod mid playoff race.

Everything you laid out is what makes the move up for a QB that much more impressive, what Beane was able to accomplish while in the thick of trading up for a QB.

The Bills have heavily scouted at least 10 QBs out of this class, ironically they never went to see Josh Allen live during the season. Only signed McCaron and have Peterman as a back up.

As far as paying whay the Jets did, the Bills literally have a draft and a half worth of picks, McDermott has made it clear they need a franchise QB. They could over pay and still have a quality amount of picks this year and next. 

I'm glad your boots are dug in that he won't overpay, and that McDermott/Beane have made all these moves to go bargain shopping at the QB position. Nothing gives your scouts and organization more confidence than pinpointing a franchise QB or at the least two of them, to be like nahhhhh well just wait to see who falls.

I NEVER said QB was "an afterthought," but thanks for putting words in my mouth.  I simply made the point that all they have done thus far is made several personnel moves, each to simply maximize their flexibility both in free agency (via cap reduction), and in the draft.  I am sure each time they have improved their position, they have re-evaluated the potential new opportunities that have opened up as a result, and have done their due diligence in assessing what the cost of those various opportunities will likely be.  In assessing those new opportunities and their associated costs, I'm sure improving the QB position is seen as a high priority.  But none of this activity should be deemed to have  conclusively demonstrated that their singular purpose of these moves is for the purpose of getting into the top 5 to take a "top-rated" QB. 

And how do you know that they have even pinpointed a "franchise QB," let alone that he is one likely to fall in the top 2 or 5 picks?  NOTHING they have done can possibly be viewed as having conveyed that impression.  Unless you are sitting in those scouting/draft board meetings, you have no idea whatsoever where THEY see the value in this QB class. Moreover, shopping for players within a reasonable relation to their assigned values and sticking to them is hardly the definition of bargain hunting.  It's called intelligent resource management. 

Everything said so far by Beane is consistent with his statement that they will NOT chase so that they don't overpay in value for any player.  Where my boots are "dug in" is in the belief that the Bills finally have a coach and GM that know what they are doing.  Beane has made it clear that establishing appropriate value and sticking to it is the key to success in this league, not getting caught in the hype of chasing a guy because suddenly there's a feeding frenzy over players that they have not valued commensurately with that hype.  Right now, I have no reason whatsoever not to take Beane at his word. 

So if they decide that none of those guys are worth what the Giants require, and instead they decide to let the draft evolve, and a guy they like falls to a lower cost that they feel justifies the pick and they can make it happen there, great.  If they wait and take a guy they like at 12 because they feel he's the right combination of cost and value, great.  And if they are instead convinced that Rosen or Allen or Mayfield or Darnold is worth everything the Giants demand, I'm fine with that too.  But I will be sorely disappointed if they simply give the Giants whatever they want because: 1) they have a draft and half's worth of picks; or 2) they get hyped into a "got to get a QB in the top 5 no matter what, because if they don't, they are going to be perceived by some to have failed."

Edited by BuffaloBob