Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

Just now, Sky Diver said:

He’s a pocket passer who played under center in a pro style offense in college and competed at the highest level. In his limited opportunities in the NFL he has played well. 

My expectations are high. I don’t see why he can’t be successful if he has some talent around him. 

Again.  We've already seen that and he played just okay. 

I dont think he is that good.  If im Buffalo im leaving the draft with a Qb.  Im taking 1 in the first.  I have the picks to pay premium price.  Where are the qbs likley drafted?  1,3,and 5 i would assume are Qbs.  Who is my top qb.  If he does not go 1 I can move to 2.  Probably 12,22, 56, 65 and 2019 1st.  Is 4 available?  What is that price?  Would you risk your #1 going in division?

Who is my second Qb.  How much less in the evaluation process is he from 1?  Where does he go?  1,3,5 qbs.  Is my number 2 making it through?  Possible?  Likley? Ok the third guy how big of a gap from him to 1?  Whats the odds my 3 top qbs go 1,3,5?  

This year is unique.  There are 5 guys not rated as first round talents.  All very different in styles.  I could see stark contrasts to different evaluators rankings in the league.  The cost of moving up significantly goes down after denver.  I think Buffalo can move up and retain 22.  Two qbs will be there?  It will take brass cajones to make that call but the cost will be much less.  Is it darnold rosen mayfield?  Allen and Jackon are still avaible.  You see where im going.  A number of combinations can play out.  I think Buffalo plays it like FA.  Dont pay an arm and a leg.  Moves up gets the 3rd or 4th qb off the board and only gives up 56 and next year 3rd to do it.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If he was anything to get really excited about, he should have been able to mount a more serious challenge to Andy Dalton as the Bengals' starter. 

When teams have a starting QB in place they are happy with  the guy behind really doesn’t get many opportunities does he? 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Do you just expect guys to step on the field for the first time and be a finished product? 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not as if Dalton has been great.

Led his team to 5 playoffs appearances. Might not of been great but he’s been a pretty consistent player in this league for years. Marvin Lewis likes him and he trusts him. 

Edited by BananaB

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So I guess you have made up your mind that he will be a flop. What else is there to say? Clearly the Bills think differently or else they wouldn’t have signed him.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Led his team to 5 playoffs appearances. Might not of been great but he’s been a pretty consistent players in this league for years. Marvin Lewis likes him and he trusts him

Doesn't matter. If McCarron was a better QB he would have mounted a significant challenge with a chance to supplant Dalton who has been very much up and down in hi Bengals' career. 

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

So I guess you have made up your mind that he will be a flop. What else is there to say? Clearly the Bills think differently or else they wouldn’t have signed him.

I said I think he'll be okay as a starter. Not a flop.  The contract he signed says what they think of him after no other team wanted him as starter.  You're not exactly unbiased given your Tide rooting interest. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doesn't matter. If McCarron was a better QB he would have mounted a significant challenge with a chance to supplant Dalton who has been very much up and down in hi Bengals' career. 

It does matter. The HC is happy with his play. 5 playoff appearances in his 7 years in the league. Lewis isn’t gonna just have an open competition at QB when he has a guy he trusts. It’s !@#$ing stupid to even think that.

Just now, BananaB said:

It does matter. The HC is happy with his play. 5 playoff appearances in his 7 years in the league. Lewis isn’t gonna just have an open competition at QB when he has a guy he trusts. It’s !@#$ing stupid to even think that.

:lol: It's stupid to not play a better player at any position including QB. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Marvin Lewis isn't the brightest bulb on the coaching tree and they gave Dalton a boatload of cash not too long ago. Why would they want to jeopardize that? 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I said I think he'll be okay as a starter. Not a flop.  The contract he signed says what they think of him after no other team wanted him as starter.  You're not exactly unbiased given your Tide rooting interest. 

I guess we’ll find out. If you want to root against him, be my guest. Beane and company have proved to be pretty good judges of talent so far.

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Marvin Lewis isn't the brightest bulb on the coaching tree and they gave Dalton a boatload of cash not too long ago. Why would they want to jeopardize that? 

If what he's saying was the case, Alex Smith would still be in KC. ;)

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I guess we’ll find out. If you want to root against him, be my guest. Beane and company have proved to be pretty good judges of talent so far.

Having reasonable expectations is not rooting against him.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Starting QBs are not gonna get sat when they lead their team to the playoffs year in year out.  The backup gets limited reps, he may look good but he’s just not gonna get that shot unless the starter is playing flat out terrible.

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Starting QBs are not gonna get sat when they lead their team to the playoffs year in year out.  The backup gets limited reps, he may look good but he’s just not gonna get that shot unless the starter is playing flat out terrible.

Alex Smith agrees with you, but Andy Reid doesn't. 

Thus Mr. Smith went to Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If what he's saying was the case, Alex Smith would still be in KC. ;)

Having reasonable expectations is not rooting against him.  

The Chiefs situation with Alex Smith and Mahomes is totally different.  They fell in love with Mahommes and the writing was on the wall for Smith the minute he was drafted. 

The Bengals on the other hand had their guy in place and drafted AJ in the 5th round. 

Just now, BananaB said:

The Chiefs situation with Alex Smith and Mahomes is totally different.  They fell in love with Mahommes and the writing was on the wall for Smith the minute he was drafted. 

The Bengals on the other hand had their guy in place and drafted AJ in the 5th round. 

Where a player is drafted doesn't matter. If AJ developed into a better QB, then he would have supplanted Dalton.

If you break down the cost as positional rather than the player, we can do both. 

Trading up and grabbing a guy for our firsts and some other picks, and McCarron working out to be a stud is just fine with me. At the end of the day it’s the cost of our starting QB, no matter who it is. 

Where a player is drafted doesn't matter. If AJ developed into a better QB, then he would have supplanted Dalton.

Had Burflct not !@#$ed up the playoff game, maybe things would of went different in Cinci for AJ.... Fact is, Lewis is happy with Dalton and AJs limited reps weren’t gonna change that.

We’re about to see more of AJ, so we’ll know soon how good he really is. I’m not writing him off because he couldn’t outseat another teams franchise QB

Edited by BananaB

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Had Burflct not !@#$ed up the playoff game, maybe things would of went different in Cinci for AJ.... Fact is, Lewis is happy with Dalton and AJs limited reps weren’t gonna change that.

Say whatever you want. A better QB in CIN gets Dalton traded just as other starters have been.