Can't help but think of the 2004 draft...

As I'm watching everything play out thus far I can't help but think of the 2004 draft. In that draft there were 3 top guys at QB: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Big Ben. We were in the market for a quarterback that year as we could see after 1 year of Drew Bledsoe, that he wasn't the player he was before he lost his job to Brady. With an aging but solid QB, the Bills looked to the future and obtained a second 1st round pick giving us the 13th and 22nd picks in the draft- sound familiar? With 13 we picked Lee Evans, who as we know, turned out to be a solid pick. With the 22nd pick we took J.P. Losman. We all know how that went. Why didn't we trade up and get one of the 3 top guys? 

My point is if we want a quarterback, we MUST get one of the top guys. Can you imagine what our fortunes would have been if we traded up and grabbed Big Ben? He wasn't falling to us at 13 but he did go 10. It wasn't that far of a leap. With Big Ben taking over at the controls for Bledsoe either in 2004 or a year later, our franchise would not have had nearly the misfortune it did- maybe we would have even had a ring to show for it. Settling for Losman helped further set our team back for several years. Will all 4 of Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield work out like the big 3 in 2004 did? The odds are that 2 of the 4 will be franchise guys but we don't know for sure. Still, those odds are better than taking lesser prospects at 22 or in the 2nd round where it might take longer to figure out if they're good, because it will likely take longer for them to see on the field. No matter what, we have to move up and get one of those 4, preferably the one we like best. If we don't, we run the risk of reliving 2004 all over again. 

I couldn't help to think about the 2012 draft.  Washington traded from the 6th slot to 2 and drafted RGIII.

In short:  Redskins get: 2nd-overall pick (2012)
Rams get: 2nd-overall pick (2014), 6th-overall pick (2012), 22nd-overall pick (2013), 39th-overall pick (2012)

Hindsight tells us that the Skins should of kept all those picks.  In 2012 the Skins also drafted Kirk Cousins 102 overall.  They didn't even need RGIII

Lessons learned

Edited by Pete

Difference between 2004 and now is we had an established starter (drew bledsoe). Right now we don't know who's gonna start at qb opening day. Also I'll take 2018 front office over the 2004 front office any day. I'm not nearly as worried about this as alot of people here are. 

1 hour ago, Eddiegoofball said:

As I'm watching everything play out thus far I can't help but think of the 2004 draft. In that draft there were 3 top guys at QB: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Big Ben. We were in the market for a quarterback that year as we could see after 1 year of Drew Bledsoe, that he wasn't the player he was before he lost his job to Brady. With an aging but solid QB, the Bills looked to the future and obtained a second 1st round pick giving us the 13th and 22nd picks in the draft- sound familiar? With 13 we picked Lee Evans, who as we know, turned out to be a solid pick. With the 22nd pick we took J.P. Losman. We all know how that went. Why didn't we trade up and get one of the 3 top guys? 

My point is if we want a quarterback, we MUST get one of the top guys. Can you imagine what our fortunes would have been if we traded up and grabbed Big Ben? He wasn't falling to us at 13 but he did go 10. It wasn't that far of a leap. With Big Ben taking over at the controls for Bledsoe either in 2004 or a year later, our franchise would not have had nearly the misfortune it did- maybe we would have even had a ring to show for it. Settling for Losman helped further set our team back for several years. Will all 4 of Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield work out like the big 3 in 2004 did? The odds are that 2 of the 4 will be franchise guys but we don't know for sure. Still, those odds are better than taking lesser prospects at 22 or in the 2nd round where it might take longer to figure out if they're good, because it will likely take longer for them to see on the field. No matter what, we have to move up and get one of those 4, preferably the one we like best. If we don't, we run the risk of reliving 2004 all over again. 

Eddie..Will you be logged in during the draft ?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I couldn't help to think about the 2012 draft.  Washington traded from the 6th slot to 2 and drafted RGIII.

Rams get: 2nd-overall pick (2014), 6th-overall pick (2012), 22nd-overall pick (2013), 39th-overall pick (2012)

Hindsight tells us that the Skins should of kept all those picks.  In 2012 the Skins also drafted Kirk Cousins 102 overall.  They didn't even need RGIII

Lessons learned

And the Eagles traded up to #2 and then won the SB for the first time in franchise history 2 years later.

Lesson learned!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Lessons learned

If RGIII didn't get hurt and if Shanahan didn't play him hurt, who knows? Washington made the right move. They went and got their guy. What happened later couldn't have been predicted. I don't think this is a good example of a reason to stand pat.

1 minute ago, T-Bomb said:

And the Eagles traded up to #2 and then won the SB for the first time in franchise history 2 years later.

Lesson learned!

Exactly! It's a risk worth taking. If you are going to do it, go all the way.

It's worth mentioning that trading up for the #4 QB in that 2004 draft costs the Bills the chance to draft Aaron Rodgers in 2005.... 

and its also also worth mentioning that the last time 3 QBs went off the board in the first 3 picks, 2 of them ended up being Tim Couch and Akili Smith! lol 

Seriously though, As I just said in another thread, I have no interest in selling the farm just to get any random one of the top 4 QBs in this draft.

If the Bills can get their #1 or #2 ranked guy, then yes absolutely do it!

But giving up a haul of picks to get their #4 rated QB on their draft board? Not so sure that'd be worth it. It's only worth it if the Bills have their #4 QB rated much higher than their #5 rated QB.

If they are similarly ranked, I don't see where it makes sense to give up a haul of picks because if the Bills feel both players have similar chances of making it and/or hitting their ceiling, then 3 players is better than trading those 3 picks for 1 player. 

13 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Difference between 2004 and now is we had an established starter (drew bledsoe). Right now we don't know who's gonna start at qb opening day. Also I'll take 2018 front office over the 2004 front office any day. I'm not nearly as worried about this as alot of people here are. 

Agreed. I'll take McBeane over Donahoe any day. As for Bledsoe, yeah he was an established starter but he was starting to look old/washed up. The team regressed to 6-10 in 2003 after 8-8 Drew's first year and his stats in 2003 were dreadful: 16 GP, 11 TDs, 12 Ints, 73.0 Rating. The warning signs were going off and that's precisely why they traded back into the 1st round for Losman. They knew they needed a QB of the future.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

So the defense, special teams, offensive line, running backs, wide receivers, coaches etc had nothing to do with that?  Got it

Also the backup QB who had to come in and finish the season, and play in the playoffs where he beat one of the top defences (Vikings) and out duel Brady in the SB.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

So the defense, special teams, offensive line, running backs, wide receivers, coaches etc had nothing to do with that?  Got it

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Also the backup QB who had to come in and finish the season, and play in the playoffs where he beat one of the top defences (Vikings) and out duel Brady in the SB.

So are you guys in the "trade for Foles" camp then? He played brilliantly those last 2 games but leading up to that he was nothing to write home about. If Foles had been their starter the whole season I don't think they would have been in the same position, nor have the same results. Wentz was league MVP when he got hurt. He started the momentum and did most of the heavy lifting. Whether you agree with that or not, the point is the Eagles trading up for him was the right move and they are reaping the rewards.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Lessons learned

Hindsight is always 20/20, which is all you've proven here. 

What happened 6 years ago does not predict what will happen this year. 

1 hour ago, Eddiegoofball said:

So are you guys in the "trade for Foles" camp then? He played brilliantly those last 2 games but leading up to that he was nothing to write home about. If Foles had been their starter the whole season I don't think they would have been in the same position, nor have the same results. Wentz was league MVP when he got hurt. He started the momentum and did most of the heavy lifting. Whether you agree with that or not, the point is the Eagles trading up for him was the right move and they are reaping the rewards.

Actually if i recall, with Wentz in a QB philly only beat one team with a winning record.  And the majority of their wins were close.  Until Foles came in I felt philly was the most over rated team in the league.

2 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

Lesson learned!

With their backup QB. So what's your point?

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

Wentz got them there.

I think their defense helped a little.