Why do we still not have cap numbers for Star?

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

He plays the 0 or 1 technique, aka the nose tackle, that's his job...I suggest you learn football before saying silly stuff that makes you look clueless.  His job is to hold up a double team from the guard/center and keep linebackers clean so they can flow to the ball.  Why do you think Thomas Davis and Luke Keuchley kept going to pro bowls?  He keeps those guys clean and he does it as good as anyone in the league. That's his job...any pass rush he gets is a bonus.

Shoot,  then maybe he should have gotten 15 mil instead. I'm well aware of what he does but he's no Pat Williams or Haloti Ngata. Look dude I know what position he plays and what's required of it.  All I said is that it's a lot of money for a 1 dimensional DT which is what he is. I don't need an education from you on the specifics of a 0 or 1 tech. If you're happy with him that's awesome. I stand by my comment that he's the Preston Brown of DTs. Maybe he should get 15 mil per because he's durable and makes a lot of tackles?  There are plenty here that agree  but you're not hammering their opinion are you? He fits scheme and is a need, fine. Lotta money for a " space eater".

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

There is an excellent comment in that article that I largely agree with, I am going to shamelessly include it here because it is worth reading:

Welcome to the world of ESPN and NFL Network, where if you are not penetrating the line to get sacks and racking up a ton of tackles you are not considered a good player.

Let’s focus on the facts. The deal is 5 year for 50 million. That places Star #15 on the list for DT, that doesn’t even take into account the Gobsmack of money that Aaron Donald is going to be making soon. Those big penetrating DT get paid in the 15 to 20 million range. Not to mention when you start looking at the DT tackles below Star on the list 2 things are common.

Really good (perhaps better) players who are still on their rookie deals, or older veterans on the downside of their careers, or younger guys who do not impact the game or require massive double teams.

You know what contract stands out? Kyle Williams at 6 million, where other similar veterans at the end of their careers are getting 3 to 4 million, which I can only assume is what some people think Star is worth, but it’s not inline with the market.

Also for the record on the Bills pay scale and roster he is 8th in salary cap accounting for a hair over 4% of the total cap, not nearly the same as the Dareus contract where he counted almost 15% of the cap, Heck Dareus is counting for 8.5% of the cap this year in dead space at a little over $14 million so next year Star will still cost less than the space Dareus is using this year. What a guy like this brings to the club is his mass. He will take up more than 1 blocker because if they don’t double team him he will beat a single block due to his size alone.

For a defense this means better pass rush because you can’t afford to double team the edge rushers all the time. For the Run defense it means you have to account for Star which opens up linebackers to do their job.

In the end it is fine to disagree, but saying I don’t like a player and we are paying them too much without looking at the facts, based on real numbers, real impacts and how the dollars actually fit into the whole structure – I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the reality is once again some fans simply look at the highlight film and go nah he brings nothing to the team, or he isn’t worth it money wise when the deal is right in line with what a player like him does and isn’t on par with the Dareus contract who was getting paid to be the pass rush from the middle but being asked to eat up blocks.

Edited by simool

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Oof that's a lot

No it really isnt 

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Well he got 10M a year. That was surprising to me. But all good. Got an out at year three and not structured too bad actually. 

As a novice observer of contracts - it seems somewhat high for someone with some injury questions...  but I also read that it is heavily backended and if for some reason it doesn't work out as expected (injury) - cutting him won't be super painful.

We're definitely paying more to players not on the roster than we should be.