Albright: Broncos Targeting Mayfield, Bill's Josh Allen

56 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Say Darnold, Rosen and Allen are the top 3 picks and we were unable to get into the top 3......what would you do?

Mayfield of course with a move up for Cleveland pick

My top 3 does not include Allen at all.

Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold are my pick3.

Miss on those 3 I would draft Rudolph at 22 and stay far away from Jackson, Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DJB said:

His accuracy issues are far overblown. Study the tape. Watch every throw. When he isnt running for his life and can throw behind a good pocket he makes excellent accurate throws. He struggles when his feet arent set.

I actually see the same thing Gunner called out in his analysis.  When other draft prospect QB - Lamar Jackson in particular - makes an inaccurate throw - I can call it before the ball leaves his hand, because of his mechanics (usually when he is under pressure, but sometimes when not).  Sometimes when Allen makes an inaccurate throw, I can't see it in his mechanics at all. 

Now maybe Bandit is on-point and it's all about the WR not being in the right place at the right time, it doesn't look like that to me but I only have the all-22 that's on Youtube.  Or maybe he has issues that are subtle, and will be hard to fix

Either way, the thing is - in the NFL, it's a rare QB who isn't running for his life at least 1/3 of the time, so accurate throwing under pressure is pretty key, wouldn't you say?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually see the same thing Gunner called out in his analysis.  When other draft prospect QB - Lamar Jackson in particular - makes an inaccurate throw - I can call it before the ball leaves his hand, because of his mechanics (usually when he is under pressure, but sometimes when not).  Sometimes when Allen makes an inaccurate throw, I can't see it in his mechanics at all. 

Now maybe Bandit is on-point and it's all about the WR not being in the right place at the right time, it doesn't look like that to me but I only have the all-22 that's on Youtube.  Or maybe he has issues that are subtle, and will be hard to fix

Either way, the thing is - in the NFL, it's a rare QB who isn't running for his life at least 1/3 of the time, so accurate throwing under pressure is pretty key, wouldn't you say?

I definitely  agree that throwing  under pressure is key. However  there is a difference  to me with throwing under pressure and throwing on the run. Allen had a horrific  oline  and bad wr. That didn't help. 

He needs to work on his feet mechanics for sure  and his accuracy  will improve. 

On 3/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, YoloinOhio said:

But he went 12th in a weaker QB draft and Allen is likely to go in the top 5 in a loaded QB draft. Watson may end up being the better nfl QB, but it appears the NFL didn’t/doesn’t see them the same way you do as “prospects”

The NFL is always taken by potential.  Especially at the QB position.  But I get it with Allen.  IF he can put it together he's John Elway.  He should be a 2nd round pick, but it is what is.  I won't cry if the Bills draft him.  All of these QB have flaws that make me think twice about them so to me they're all a dice roll, Rosen and Mayfield included.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I definitely  agree that throwing  under pressure is key. However  there is a difference  to me with throwing under pressure and throwing on the run. Allen had a horrific  oline  and bad wr. That didn't help. 

He needs to work on his feet mechanics for sure  and his accuracy  will improve. 

But here's the thing.  I'll put it out there, I was one who thought accuracy could improve.  I thought Fitz could improve his accuracy and decision making.  And I thought EJ could too.  Judging by results, I was mistaken.

So now in my mind, taking a QB with known accuracy issues is a big risk.  I would rather take a QB with questionable height or a questionable injury history, than one where you look at him and say "can he really play at NFL speed with that funky delivery?" or "he has accuracy issues, but he just needs to work on his footwork"

3 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Mayfield of course with a move up for Cleveland pick

My top 3 does not include Allen at all.

Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold are my pick3.

Miss on those 3 I would draft Rudolph at 22 and stay far away from Jackson, Allen.

Eh, my bad. Woke up in the middle of the night to take a dump and posted incorrectly.  What do you do if Darnold, Rosen and mayfield are the first 3 picks? 

Rudolph @22 is the answer.  Ugh.  

Edited by NewEra

On 3/13/2018 at 10:57 PM, xRUSHx said:

What a fail if they intend to draft Allen to sit around he is not a day one starter. If they are going Allen who is the expensive Vet that will be starting this year.

I just can not see Allen as the target, they talked to Rudolph more then Allen if anything he is more of a target to sit around year one then Allen IMO. Only choice in a move up for a day one starter is Darnold,Rosen or Mayfield IMO.

From what people are saying, all of the top QBs could do with a year on the bench. Rosen may be the most ready but you don't hear people saying "first day starter", "able to step right in."

IMHO there's a very very good chance that even if we manage to get to #2, we see a year of McCarron.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But here's the thing.  I'll put it out there, I was one who thought accuracy could improve.  I thought Fitz could improve his accuracy and decision making.  And I thought EJ could too.  Judging by results, I was mistaken.

So now in my mind, taking a QB with known accuracy issues is a big risk.  I would rather take a QB with questionable height or a questionable injury history, than one where you look at him and say "can he really play at NFL speed with that funky delivery?" or "he has accuracy issues, but he just needs to work on his footwork"

Yup you are absolutely correct and why it definately is a concern. Im glad I dont have to make the decision on which QB to draft and whether to take Allen or not. Hes the definition of a boom/bust prospect

On 3/22/2018 at 2:19 PM, YoloinOhio said:

If I were the Browns I would wait until next year’s class to take the DE to pair with Garrett. There are 4 better than Chubb and they really need a CB with their 2nd 1st this year. 

Additionally there is the issue of the contracts if they pan out.

When you draft them in back to back years........it's really hard to justify paying BOTH of them..........perhaps even paying the second guy his 5th year option(thus forcing a trade and huge loss of value like the Bills with Watkins).

One contract first rounders are bad business.

I see this as justification for the Bills not drafting a CB early this year as well..........they could use one but you'd hope that White turns into their $15M #1 CB in 5 years and you can't turn around the next year and pay another guy big $ to be your #2 CB.    Ideally that pick is a stud at another high $ position.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

From what people are saying, all of the top QBs could do with a year on the bench. Rosen may be the most ready but you don't hear people saying "first day starter", "able to step right in."

IMHO there's a very very good chance that even if we manage to get to #2, we see a year of McCarron.

I agree they all should sit a little but I think if we get Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold they will be starting by years end maybe even right after the bye. I think it would depend on how well McC is doing to how early they are ready to push on the kid and how fast the kid gets the playbook down.

Rudolph I would think would sit the full season no matter what. Jackson/Allen I can also see sitting the full year no matter what and could still come out flat after that because of the learning of the playbook, footwork and accuracy issues IMO. IMHO I think Jackson is a big injury risk with his tiny bottom half of his body and his love to run,  could be a good QB when he does play though, question is does he break like RG3. Allen I think is going to be like Cutler I just think he is a project of a big maybe in a 2-3 years and too big of a risk for a top 10 pick. Just my opinion on it all. 

Edited by xRUSHx

Allen can remind you of Cam Newton... big guy big arm... is Newton a smarter guy then Allen? We don’t know that...Allen is a young kid that can really throw the ball hard and far... like Cam throwing those 30/40 yard passes like its nothing while eating up mad yards ... might be the McBean way to winning 

Edited by MC Hamburg