THE ERA OF NATE HAS BEGUN

6 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Everyone knows that what a player does in their first game ever is indicative of the career they will have.

Petermans performance was in line with his 5th round draft pick status .  He is luckier than most to have even received a shot to start.  

1 minute ago, bigduke6 said:

#1 of course,   how a year makes a difference huh?   Must be the player and not the coaching staff.  0:)

i smh at the people who love Dashaun Watson all of a sudden,   guy did it for 4 games.   4,   we have no idea if its sustainable or not.   Was a very good college player,  but 4 games means everybody wiffed on him  and hes going into the HoF eventually?.  He very well could be the best QB of that draft,   and a future Hofer,  but nobody really knows.   Not at this point anyways.

Of course not, but give me a young QB with historic success out of the gate over a young QB who sucked out of the gate.

There aren't two players on the Bills I wouldn't give up for Watson today.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A little different scenario in that a team decided that he was worthy of the 1st pick overall. He might not have went 1 overall last year but I would think that he would have still been in the mix with guys like Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson and Kizer. A better comparison using that would be, “where would Trubisky go in this class?”

A team decided that Peterman was worth their 2nd 5th round selection. He had questions coming in clearly or he wouldn’t have been picked 170 picks after the one used on Goff (I know that they were different years). I doubt that Peterman would be drafted this year but could be a late round guy like Ferguson and Tanner Lee (who I think will be worse than Peterman). 

Of course the scenario is a little different.  My point was that writing QB's off after their rookie year is silly.  Peterman will in all likelihood suck, but that is the case for every late round QB.  IMO, not much has changed in regards to my opinion to him.  He either gets better or he gets cut. 

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Of course not, but give me a young QB with historic success out of the gate over a young QB who sucked out of the gate.

Of course the scenario is a little different.  My point was that writing QB's off after their rookie year is silly.  Peterman will in all likelihood suck, but that is the case for every late round QB.  IMO, not much has changed in regards to my opinion to him.  He either gets better or he gets cut. 

I don’t disagree but the Saints did it with Grayson and he was a 3rd. If a guy stinks, he stinks. Peterman’s flaws coming in weren’t things that improve. He was called one of the most pro-ready guys last year. That means that teams thought he was mentally ahead of his peers yet he still went pick 171. He had some physical questions that teams hoped could be overcome with his mental prowess.

That’s why he will be written off much quicker than a guy like Cardale Jones that has world’s of physical tools but a long way to go on the mental side. You can teach a guy to read defenses but you can’t teach them to be 6’6” and throw it 70 yards. Now it is likely that neither of them amount to anything but there are different ceilings and adjustment periods. All prospects are not created equally. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree but the Saints did it with Grayson and he was a 3rd. If a guy stinks, he stinks. Peterman’s flaws coming in weren’t things that improve. He was called one of the most pro-ready guys last year. That means that teams thought he was mentally ahead of his peers yet he still went pick 171. He had some physical questions that teams hoped could be overcome with his mental prowess.

That’s why he will be written off much quicker than a guy like Cardale Jones that has world’s of physical tools but a long way to go on the mental side. You can teach a guy to read defenses but you can’t teach them to be 6’6” and throw it 70 yards. Now it is likely that neither of them amount to anything but there are different ceilings and adjustment periods. All prospects are not created equally. 

Grayson wasn't cut until his second season.  If Peterman is cut this offseason because he still sucks, I won't be crying.

There are different ceilings and adjustment periods, but Cardale may end up the exact same guy he was when he was drafted, and Peterman may end up the ghost of Pennington.  Who knows?

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I disagree, you can't teach someone to improve mental qualities.  Intelligence just like physical traits are something you either have or you don't.

The draft can't get here soon enough.  I'm done with the "Trust Peterman" / "Draft Rudolph at 21" / "We have too many holes" posts (not to mention "I have a brilliant idea that would be completely ignored in a current relevant thread" thread starting).

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The draft can't get here soon enough.  I'm done with the "Trust Peterman" / "Draft Rudolph at 21" / "We have too many holes" posts (not to mention "I have a brilliant idea that would be completely ignored in a current relevant thread" thread starting).

Amen.

1 minute ago, Woodman19 said:

I disagree, you can't teach someone to improve mental qualities.  Intelligence just like physical traits are something you either have or you don't.

You can’t teach someone to be more intelligent but you can certainly teach them the progressions. “If this guy does this, you do that.” Now that doesn’t mean that everyone can get to Peyton Manning’s level of recognition. The point is that you are more likely to teach a guy to read a safety than you are to make him grow to 6’6” and throw the ball harder. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can’t teach someone to be more intelligent but you can certainly teach them the progressions. “If this guy does this, you do that.” Now that doesn’t mean that everyone can get to Peyton Manning’s level of recognition. The point is that you are more likely to teach a guy to read a safety than you are to make him grow to 6’6” and throw the ball harder. 

Experience and intelligence are different though, many players need experience to gain confidence in themselves in their ability to analyze reads and progressions but to suggest someone can learn to do that sounds the same to me as being able to learn to grow 3" or learn to run faster.

31 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Experience and intelligence are different though, many players need experience to gain confidence in themselves in their ability to analyze reads and progressions but to suggest someone can learn to do that sounds the same to me as being able to learn to grow 3" or learn to run faster.

Call it experience if you want. The point remains you are more likely to learn to read a safety than you are to grow 3 inches. Do

you not agree with that?

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

.....you can teach him to read, but I'm not so sure about react TIMELY....strictly my opinion, that is a "gray matter function" and I'm not sure if you can accelerate its processing speed capability.....a general 5 second window to work with is pretty short........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....you can teach him to read, but I'm not so sure about react TIMELY....strictly my opinion, that is a "gray matter function" and I'm not sure if you can accelerate its processing speed capability.....a general 5 second window to work with is pretty short........

I’m not sure that you can speed up the processing either. A lot can be done pre-snap too though. Again the general premise is that you are more likely to teach a guy than to make him grow. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Check out Brett Favre's performance out of the gate. 

Or Aaron Rodgers. 

Or Peyton Manning. 

***NOTE*** ***THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF NATHAN PETERMAN*** ***I BELIEVE HE IS JUST AS LIKELY TO BE SELLING INSURANCE IN 2 YEARS AS HE IS TO BECOME A GOOD NFL QB***

Just now, twoandfourteen said:

Or Aaron Rodgers. 

Or Peyton Manning. 

***NOTE*** ***THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF NATHAN PETERMAN*** ***I BELIEVE HE IS JUST AS LIKELY TO BE SELLING INSURANCE IN 2 YEARS AS HE IS TO BECOME A GOOD NFL QB***

Of course, but again, I hope we draft Rosen and that he wins OROY instead of not being ready to play.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Or Aaron Rodgers. 

Or Peyton Manning. 

Um what’s wrong with selling insurance?!?

I’m jk, it’s actually kind of funny because we have like 18-20 producers in my agency and one guy played in the NFL for a while and one in the NHL. Do all washout athletes sell insurance??

Edited by Kirby Jackson

15 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

Today is the day! The Peterman era has begun. Ladies and gentleman, I draw your attention to the only quarterback on the Bills roster and therefore, the de facto starter. The train is ready to leave the station, but there is still plenty of room on board! #DON'TSLEEPONNATE. Who's with me?

The goal is matching the Browns record of last year then - 0-16 here we come!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

Well, this is one train I'll miss.  While a great arm doesn't guarantee QB success, lacking an NFL caliber arm pretty much guarantees QB failure as a starter.

Well, I suppose "played well" depends your definition of "played well".

He managed a game in horrible condition very well.