Anyone Else Here Cut the Cable/Dish?

T&C

Did here a few months ago... was with Directv for 17 years. What a great move. Directv was $100 a month for a basic service, I ditched the Sunday Ticket years ago. No longer needed it in this day and age.

So I bought a Ruku smart tv, a 60 mile range antenna (very flat in Florida, get almost a hundred channels on that alone), and signed up for Slingtv. Sling is $25 a month ($28 after taxes and whatever) and has all of the channels me and the wife like, and also has NFL Network. The same @#%# we were watching for $100. And more. AMC, Food Network, Nat Geo, History, Travel... on and on, same ones we had with Directv. Lots of movie channels. 

Anyone else here done the same or something similar? If so, any good tips on what to download? There is a !@#$ ton of free stuff out there, looking for recommendations.

6 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Did it a few years ago. Also using a Roku, but we did keep our local basic cable for local channels only. Also using Sling like you. 

I'm curious then, why don't you just dump the cable and get a $50 dollar antenna for your local channels? That's what the 60 mile range one cost me at walmart.

Sling is excellent, I recommend it to anyone.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I cut the DirectTV not quite a year ago and haven't looked back since.

Roku, FireTV, and Kodi provide plenty of entertainment.

That not looking back feeling is pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Kemp2Warlick said:

I'm wanting to do this...but...did your internet go up after cancelling cable tv?....where are you in Fl?...I'm  in west Ocala..

I'm east of Tampa. Internet bill didn't go up at all. Where you are you might be able to get Tampa, Orlando, and Gainsville tv with an antenna. I get stuff south of here mainly... Sarasota, Bradenton, and the local Tampa stations. Thing is, now there are like 3-6 channels attached to each channel, for instance, channel 13 has 4 channels... PBS has a whopping 6. 

31 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm curious then, why don't you just dump the cable and get a $50 dollar antenna for your local channels? That's what the 60 mile range one cost me at walmart.

We still need Internet from Spectrum so it’s not that much more for the local channel package. We may switch someday, just not today. 

38 minutes ago, T&C said:

Did here a few months ago... was with Directv for 17 years. What a great move. Directv was $100 a month for a basic service, I ditched the Sunday Ticket years ago. No longer needed it in this day and age.

So I bought a Ruku smart tv, a 60 mile range antenna (very flat in Florida, get almost a hundred channels on that alone), and signed up for Slingtv. Sling is $25 a month ($28 after taxes and whatever) and has all of the channels me and the wife like, and also has NFL Network. The same @#%# we were watching for $100. And more. AMC, Food Network, Nat Geo, History, Travel... on and on, same ones we had with Directv. Lots of movie channels. 

Anyone else here done the same or something similar? If so, any good tips on what to download? There is a !@#$ ton of free stuff out there, looking for recommendations.

I cut the cord on Directv and Sunday Ticket about 4 years ago. When Directv refused my annual request to discount Sunday Ticket or I was bailing.  Went aerial for local digital channels. Was not trivial, I live about 25 miles from the transmitters, in driftless area of Wisconsin, and in a valley to boot. Ended up with what looks like a radio tower on its side in my attic. Works great though. Survived that way for a couple of years with Amazon Prime and Netflix on a crappy 3mb DSL line which was the best available at the time.  Again not trivial, I have three kids but thankfully I am a network engineer and between bandwidth caps and QOS we survived.

About 2 years ago my broadband provider (only one available outside of satellite) was able to give me 6mb down at which point I got on the Roku train. Both were godsends.  The cherry on top was adding my old mans Directv login into the mix. He is 80 years old, does next to nothing on the internet, and has a Directv's cadillac plan with Sunday ticket. Using his Directv credentials along with all of the various Roku apps (i.e. HBO GO, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc...), I have essentially arrived back at what I had 4 years ago for a fraction of the cost.  

Bandwidth is still a challenge but not really for me, kids gripe about it all the time. :beer:

5 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

We still need Internet from Spectrum so it’s not that much more for the local channel package. We may switch someday, just not today. 

Makes sense. We've had the internet regardless as she uses it for work so it was already here anyways. 

I'm ditching DirecTV and Sunday Ticket this year.

Question: how do you watch Bills' games? I'm considering the $100 streaming package, but it's not live - games are available Sundays after 7PM or so. I'd have to stay off the Internet on Sundays until after I watch the game.

Prior to realizing I could use my birthright to obtain Sunday Ticket, I had good luck finding streams here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Question: how do you watch Bills' games? I'm considering the $100 streaming package, but it's not live - games are available Sundays after 7PM or so. I'd have to stay off the Internet on Sundays until after I watch the game.

Edited by simool
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

You answered your own question...

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I was thinking about changing but you can't get Mets games on Sling.p.s.-My bill is 138 with two genie boxes..they gave me the sports channels for free.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I was thinking about changing but you can't get Mets games on Sling.p.s.-My bill is 138 with two genie boxes..they gave me the sports channels for free.

They are found on the internet. You should really think about cutting the cord man... we have so many tv options out there now that it is mind boggling. For the most part we still only watch a dozen channels anyways.

2 hours ago, T&C said:

So what about recording options?  I rarely watch anything live other than sporting events.

18 minutes ago, ricojes said:

So what about recording options?  I rarely watch anything live other than sporting events.

That is a question that I can't answer... but, sling, ruku, etc let you pause programs if you want to watch them at a later date. 

26 minutes ago, T&C said:

That is a question that I can't answer... but, sling, ruku, etc let you pause programs if you want to watch them at a later date. 

I can build you a doghouse,patio deck and/or a firepit...but when it comes to electronics,cords,plug ins,power switches..I'm lost.I would need help setting up all of that to the tv's....not to mention..I think my bride signed a new contract or agreed to one over the phone..not sure what that would be?

3 hours ago, T&C said:

Which antenna did you get?