Underrated Bills games

10 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Home in '87 v the Dolphins Jerry Butlers last game.  First time the 90s team rolled an opponent.  92 at the dolphins Monday night. Epic performance by Bruce    By all rights game should have wrapped up home field.  

Yes on the '87 home Dolphins game.  The game where Marino was benched.  I had things to do that day but caught the last 10 minutes of it.  Priceless to see Marino sulking, Shula trying to look as though he was not PO'd, the shock of the announcers (who I forget now), and the best  was for last which was Costas and Co sitting shellshocked in the studio.  It took them ten seconds to break the silence to discuss that game.  

The '89 game against the Oiler's in Houston.  Bad thing was we did lose Burroughs permanently.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

In 1984, the Bills were 0-11 and embarrassed the Cowboys to get their first of two whopping wins that season in what is to be the worst Bills team to date.

Greg Bell had 203 yards rushing in that game I want to say? And Dallas was 8-3 at the time

51 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No to me. He will be remembered as the only qb we had during a 10 year span that could operate a modern day passing offense. Also showed up with no offseason and went 7-5 with wins against GB, @ NE @ Det smoked the jets twice. Beat the Pats with Brady playing 1 half and Jimmy G playing the 2nd. 2 guys everyone raves about. That 14 team ends the drought if EJ doesn’t play in Houston. A pocket qb that understands he’s important to the the team and live to play another down. That’s what most good QBs do. Not take hits and not get hurt.

duuuudddeee. easy now.... a lot of qb's could have went 7-5 with that defense and where the offense was routinely getting the ball. 

orton did a serviceable job considering his circumstances but if a qb couldn't win games with that 14 defense they just suck. I sure did enjoy watching him basically come in with what looked to not be a care in the world and have some nice games here and there though. definitely had a fun bravado about him and it was a cool story.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2003 home opener against Pats. I'll never forget that beauty

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No to me. He will be remembered as the only qb we had during a 10 year span that could operate a modern day passing offense. Also showed up with no offseason and went 7-5 with wins against GB, @ NE @ Det smoked the jets twice. Beat the Pats with Brady playing 1 half and Jimmy G playing the 2nd. 2 guys everyone raves about. That 14 team ends the drought if EJ doesn’t play in Houston. A pocket qb that understands he’s important to the the team and live to play another down. That’s what most good QBs do. Not take hits and not get hurt.

Orton in my opinion was a scared version of Fitzpatrick. Maybe scared isn't the word, but "lack of passion" compared to Fitz.

They both could light it up at times, suck at times, and both were notorious for turning the ball over a lot.

The difference is Fitz was crazy and would have dove head first to get first downs

Edited by billsfan11

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

09 @ Jets with Fitz after Trent injury and the Jets having 300 yds rushing. I live deep, deep in Jet territory...that win felt so great for me. I don’t know why, but I loved that 09 team. If Fitz starts from opening day and Fewell coaches from week 1, I bet that team is a drought ender.

14 Vikings. Orton easily the most under appreciated Bills qb of the drought. Drives the team down for a game winning TD with 2 sec left. Throws for 120 yds on that last drive. Converts a 4th and 22! And a crazy pass to Hogan. A game that would be remembered if we finished that season off. Loved Orton. Loved being at that game.

I enjoyed that 09 Jets game as well but it was an ugly game.  Sanchez through for 6 picks I think.  I think we won on the last play of overtime, laughed more than anything.

There was a game from 2012 against the Cardinals that reminded me of it

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Todd Collins and the Bills erase a 26-0 deficit against the colts to win 37-35.  I think it was '97.  One of the greatest comebacks in NFL history.

Bills fans don't talk about this game enough.

This was a game I’m sure Colts fans are glad to let us have in hindsight.  They ended up with the first pick in the 98 draft where they took Peyton.  A win in this game would have put them at 4-12 and tied with a number of other teams.  Not sure who would have gotten the tiebreaker.

I would add in our win over KC just this past season.  It probably won’t be remembered very much but it was the turning point of our season after three straight bad losses that made it look like we were headed for another playoff-less season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Yes on the '87 home Dolphins game.  The game where Marino was benched.  I had things to do that day but caught the last 10 minutes of it.  Priceless to see Marino sulking, Shula trying to look as though he was not PO'd, the shock of the announcers (who I forget now), and the best  was for last which was Costas and Co sitting shellshocked in the studio.  It took them ten seconds to break the silence to discuss that game.  

The '89 game against the Oiler's in Houston.  Bad thing was we did lose Burroughs permanently.  

Sounds like Paul McGuire on the colour, and a forgettable on the play by play, so I'll guess Jim Donovan from the 1987 NBC pairings list...

It sure isn't Enberg or Criqui.

edit:  My bad, that isn't the wipeout game this is the OT win at Miami, a more critical win at the time than a home win blowout...

5 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Buffalo Bills at San Francisco 49ers - September 13th, 1992

A glimpse into what could have been in terms of an electic and awesome Super Bowl matchup, and one that Buffalo could have won:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199209130sfo.htm

except for the Cowboys easily beating the Niners and then stomping the Bills into oblivion in the SB...

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Sounds like Paul McGuire on the colour, and a forgettable on the play by play, so I'll guess Jim Donovan from the 1987 NBC pairings list...

It sure isn't Enberg or Criqui.

edit:  My bad, that isn't the wipeout game this is the OT win at Miami, a more critical win at the time than a home win blowout...

except for the Cowboys easily beating the Niners and then stomping the Bills into oblivion in the SB...

The OT game down in Miami was very important but if I remember right we were down for most of the game.  The 27-0 blowout at home put the football world on notice the Bills were rising in the AFC.

37 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The OT game down in Miami was very important but if I remember right we were down for most of the game.  The 27-0 blowout at home put the football world on notice the Bills were rising in the AFC.

ummm.. from 1968 to 1986 the Bills had one win and a tie from trips to Miami, the 1983 win wasn't that important.  Winning the game in 1987 was massive to show the Kelly Bills were on their way.

that would have been a horrendous 2 decades of wearing a Bills jersey for road trips to Miami.

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Sure there's The Comeback, the 1990 AFC Championship game, and most recently week 17 against the Dolphins that are still remembered and talked about today (deservedly so).  What are some great games though that flew under the radar.  Here's one:

Great ending. 

This was a great game. I so miss Bruce Smith and his 3 sack games like this.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:23 PM, Another Fan said:

Sure there's The Comeback, the 1990 AFC Championship game, and most recently week 17 against the Dolphins that are still remembered and talked about today (deservedly so).  What are some great games though that flew under the radar.  Here's one:

Great ending. 

Thanks! I don’t remember this one & I haven’t gotten to the end yet, but two takes:

1. As much as I despised Bledsoe here in 2004 and especially 2003, I really hated him on the Pats.

2. Fina, Lacina, and Ostroski. That is one crappy OL, poor Jimbo.