3-1: Brandon Beane on WGR from the Scouting Combine

3-1: BRANDON BEANE ON WGR (14:13)

Beane - we talk a lot of different things in our meetings with the players at the NFL Combine. We want to talk to the player, and also talk to other people from their school to see if the stories match up. #Bills

Beane - we're looking at not only the physical abilities, but also the intangibles of some players to see if a player fits in for the #Bills.

Beane - you look at how some of the best quarterbacks in the league lead their teams, not everyone is the same. The fit for us may not be the fit for other teams. #Bills

Brandon Beane on Josh Rosen: said they'd likely meet with him in california and probably bring him in here as 1 of their 30 pre draft visits allowed to each team

Brandon Beane - You talk to players that know these guys during the season.  Has had talks with current Bills OL Conor McDermott... "tell me about Josh (Rosen)".

Beane - Baker Mayfield does not have the prototypical size, but there are also guys who play really well who don't have that prototypical size. He's played very well, and it shows with winning a Heisman. #Bills

Beane - Lamar Jackson has had a good career. He certainly deserves a shot at playing quarterback. Some say the same thing of Jackson that were said of Cam Newton when he came out of college. #Bills

Beane - we are certainly interested in bringing back Preston Brown. #Bills

Brandon Beane on the idea that Lamar Jackson isn't a true QB - "People said the same thing about Cam" (They drafted Newton #1, and he's said Cam was the most work he's ever done on a prospect)

Beane - Last time I talked to Kyle Williams, he was planning on playing. #Bills

Beane said Bills will meet with reps for FA LB Prestown Brown in Indy. on Kyle Williams- waiting for his reps to get back to Bills with what they think Kyle's value is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane - we talk a lot of different things in our meetings with the players at the NFL Combine. We want to talk to the player, and also talk to other people from their school to see if the stories match up. #Bills

Beane - we're looking at not only the physical abilities, but also the intangibles of some players to see if a player fits in for the #Bills.

Beane - you look at how some of the best quarterbacks in the league lead their teams, not everyone is the same. The fit for us may not be the fit for other teams. #Bills

Brandon Beane - You talk to players that know these guys during the season.  Has had talks with current Bills OL Conor McDermott... "tell me about Josh (Rosen)".

Thanks for sharing. These points are huge in relation to Rosen. Having a guy on our team who played left tackle for Rosen for two years is a big deal. You have someone who can clarify questions about Rosen in your own house. This is huge. From everything I can gather, Conor McDermott loves Rosen. 

I will be interested to see if the Bills interview Kolton Miller, who played with Rosen for 3 years, and Scott Quessenberry, who played center for Rosen for two years. These are the guys who can show that "stories match up." 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

on Kyle Williams- waiting for his reps to get back to Bills with what they think Kyle's value is.

I have a feeling Kyle's number is going to be $5M per...Domata Peko and Brandon Mebane--2 33-year old DTs that have never made the pro bowl--are getting $3.75M and $4.5M AAV, respectively.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have a feeling Kyle's number is going to be $5M per...Domata Peko and Brandon Mebane--2 33-year old DTs that have never made the pro bowl--are getting $3.75M and $4.5M AAV, respectively.

Even though his play has slipped some he is certainly worth that to this team. They can even do it as a 2 year deal and punt some of the cap hit to next year.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Even though his play has slipped some he is certainly worth that to this team. They can even do it as a 2 year deal and punt some of the cap hit to next year.

The initial indication is that he wants to continue playing and hopefully he'll be back in Buffalo.  I like the idea of a two-year deal to give them more flexibility for the '18 season. 

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah, I think about $5m a year sounds about right and probably should be close to being able to get it done.  His play throughout the season wasn't as high of a level as it had been in the past but he did turn it up back to his old play at the end of the season.  The intangibles for him are off the charts and the Bills are a better team with him playing than not.  I suspect he'll be back.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just now, Magox said:

Yeah, I think about $5m a year sounds about right and probably should be close to being able to get it done.  His play throughout the season wasn't as high of a level as it had been in the past but he did turn it up back to his old play at the end of the season.  The intangibles for him are off the charts and the Bills are a better team with him playing than not.  I suspect he'll be back.

I agree with both of you.

From the simple standpoint of leadership and filling a positional need, having Kyle as a bird in the hand is huge.  They should still be signing a starting DT like DaQuan Jones or Justin Ellis as a FA, and drafting someone in round 3-4 that can play 30-40 snaps/game.  That way Kyle can play more in obvious passing situations and take less of a beating.

I would be signing him to a 2-year, $10M deal with $7M signing bonus; vet min base in 2018.

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

From the simple standpoint of leadership and filling a positional need, having Kyle as a bird in the hand is huge.  They should still be signing a starting DT like DaQuan Jones or Justin Ellis as a FA, and drafting someone in round 3-4 that can play 30-40 snaps/game.  That way Kyle can play more in obvious passing situations and take less of a beating.

I would be signing him to a 2-year, $10M deal with $7M signing bonus; vet min base in 2018.

I really like DaQuan Jones. PSU guy. I hope he is a target. 

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Exactly the numbers that I had in my head

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Hate to say it but I'm not as sure.  I think $5m is a overpriced for what I am getting on field at this stage.  His value in the locker room? That's hard to quantify.  I will trust McDermott and Beane to have a better view on that than me. Love Kyle, love what he has done for this team..... but we need to make this decision with head not heart.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hate to say it but I'm not as sure.  I think $5m is a overpriced for what I am getting on field at this stage.  His value in the locker room? That's hard to quantify.  I will trust McDermott and Beane to have a better view on that than me. Love Kyle, love what he has done for this team..... but we need to make this decision with head not heart.  

The key, IMO, will be reducing his role by bringing in two other starting-level DTs.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

The key, IMO, will be reducing his role by bringing in two other starting-level DTs.

Completely agree.  I think if you can make Kyle a guy you get on the field in obvious passing situations and just let him pin his ears back and go then he still has value as a disrupter.  Is that worth $5m even with the locker room stuff? I can't quite get there.  Get him a $1m cheaper and you have me.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Completely agree.  I think if you can make Kyle a guy you get on the field in obvious passing situations and just let him pin his ears back and go then he still has value as a disrupter.  Is that worth $5m even with the locker room stuff? I can't quite get there.  Get him a $1m cheaper and you have me.  

No...but out of necessity (because you have zero warm bodies at DT other than Washington, who sucks) I do it anyway

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

they have to bring him back. i absolutely want to draft the best dt we can ...and hopefully 2, but without kyle we will definitely have to sign a fa for vet presence.

57 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

when he is in, we need someone who commands a double team every snap to get the best out of him. in any case we need guys who command double teams.