3-1: Brandon Beane on WGR from the Scouting Combine

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doesn't seem like a smokescreen at all.

It could be one of those cases in which everyone already knows that the Bills love him and there is no reason to put up a smokescreen. I think a lot of front offices have really good ideas about what other front offices are thinking. He may be putting teams on notice that they want to trade up. Sure some people may be able to beat us to the Giants pick, but no one else can offer two first round picks this year and a franchise left tackle. There may be no use in beating around the bush at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It could be one of those cases in which everyone already knows that the Bills love him and there is no reason to put up a smokescreen. I think a lot of front offices have really good ideas about what other front offices are thinking. He may be putting teams on notice that they want to trade up. Sure some people may be able to beat us to the Giants pick, but no one else can offer two first round picks this year and a franchise left tackle. There may be no use in beating around the bush at this point. 

This is what I think too. I also think they have the framework of a deal in place with the Giants. Heck if they get to number 2 it doesn't matter what others think anyway, they will get a franchise candidate.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

If that's the case, why say anything? I get the feeling that McBeane are genuinely interested and I'm wondering if they may already have a trade partner in mind. 

Well his buddy is holding the number 2 pick right now......

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It could be... but I'm not sure it is.  What do you think the plan is Promo? I know it is all guesswork... but your gut reaction?

The plan is fluid. Get the best QB without mortgaging the future. How it happens is likely in flux.

1 hour ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

If that's the case, why say anything? I get the feeling that McBeane are genuinely interested and I'm wondering if they may already have a trade partner in mind. 

Maybe it's to get other teams to move ahead of the Bills for Rosen because Beane might actually want a different QB? 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm, okay.  I am pretty sure we are planning to move up. 

We are too far down to wait for someone slip and I am pretty sure Beane will do what he has to do to secure the guy he wants (to a reasonable degree of course)...

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm, okay.  I am pretty sure we are planning to move up. 

Only if the cost doesn't hurt their plan to draft other key positions. Like I said, they are not mortgaging the team to get one player, even a QB. Because the best QB still needs the rest of the team to be a winner.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Only if the cost doesn't hurt their plan to draft other key positions. Like I said, they are not mortgaging the team to get one player, even a QB. Because the best QB still needs the rest of the team to be a winner.

Rebuilding the team into a perennial contender isn't a one year effort.  Moving up to get the right QB who can develop into the Franchise guy is worth spending multiple assets.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think they are willing to give up a LOT for a QB. We will soon see if I am right but my sense all offseason has been Beane wants to trade into the top 5. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they are willing to give up a LOT for a QB. We will soon see if I am right but my sense all offseason has been Beane wants to trade into the top 5. 

I get this same sense, and then the next week, I think the opposite.  Then the next week, I think they are getting into the top 5 again, and so on and so one.  I guess they are doing a good job of hiding their true intentions.

Realistically, what would it take to get to #2 or top 5?  Is Cordy Glenn really a hot commodity that could be packaged in a deal, given his injury history?