Baker Mayfield won’t attend NFL draft

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He's not Manziel.  That's a lazy comparison.  Mayfield is an intense football competitor.  He has a pretty high floor, imo.  Allen has the highest ceiling, but he is much more of a gamble.  I would be happy with either, so I don't feel the need to denigrate one player to promote another . . . unless you're advocating for Mason Rudolph :P

C'mon - as with me, you have no idea if Mayfield will be successful as a pro. Manziel was an intense competitor in college too. Both have had off-field issues. 

But you can't use college accuracy to compare.

Just now, Looper said:

C'mon - as with me, you have no idea if Mayfield will be successful as a pro. Manziel was an intense competitor in college too. Both have had off-field issues. 

Manziel was in love with celebrity and had no interest in X's and O's.  He admitted as much in a recent interview.  Naturally, no one knows who will hit and who will miss.  Everyone is making an educated guess, but Mayfield's commitment to football is lightyears better than where Manziel was.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Manziel was in love with celebrity and had no interest in X's and O's.  He admitted as much in a recent interview.  Naturally, no one knows who will hit and who will miss.  Everyone is making an educated guess, but Mayfield's commitment to football is lightyears better than where Manziel was.

Wasn't Mayfield scheduled to do some pre-draft reality show ? 

Just now, Looper said:

Wasn't Mayfield scheduled to do some pre-draft reality show ? 

If you think Mayfield is the same psychology as Manziel, you are welcome to your opinion.  I think he is a fierce competitor who will put football first when it matters.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If you think Mayfield is the same psychology as Manziel, you are welcome to your opinion.  I think he is a fierce competitor who will put football first when it matters.

If the Bills draft him, I hope you're right. I have my doubts as to his maturity.

13 minutes ago, Looper said:

If the Bills draft him, I hope you're right. I have my doubts as to his maturity.

I'm one of the few on this board who would be fine with a trade up to 2 to take Allen.  The top four all have question marks.  I think Mayfield will grow out of his maturity issues.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I'm one of the few on this board who would be fine with a trade up to 2 to take Allen.  The top four all have question marks.  I think Mayfield will grow out of his maturity issues.  

If we trade to #2, I'll be fine with whoever they take, or will at least give the player and Beane the benefit of the doubt. I just want to see the Bills identify THE guy and then go and get him. If they choose wrong, then we'll deal with that in a year or two, but at least we're finally swinging for the fences instead of bunting.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

If we trade to #2, I'll be fine with whoever they take, or will at least give the player and Beane the benefit of the doubt. I just want to see the Bills identify THE guy and then go and get him. If they choose wrong, then we'll deal with that in a year or two, but at least we're finally swinging for the fences instead of bunting.

I generally agree with your sentiment, though I would limit #2 to the big four.  You don't need to trade up to 2 if you want Lamar Jackson, for instance.  There's a chance the Jets would take Mayfield, but I think they will pick Rosen.  Mayfield is likely available at 6, but if you have decided he is the guy, take him at 2 if you want to eliminate risk of missing out.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I generally agree with your sentiment, though I would limit #2 to the big four.  You don't need to trade up to 2 if you want Lamar Jackson, for instance.  There's a chance the Jets would take Mayfield, but I think they will pick Rosen.  Mayfield is likely available at 6, but if you have decided he is the guy, take him at 2 if you want to eliminate risk of missing out.

I agree, and I dont think a trade to #2 would have us pick Jackson or the like. But even if they did, I'd be shocked, but I'd "trust the process" for a little bit before I jumped off my roof.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree, and I dont think a trade to #2 would have us pick Jackson or the like. But even if they did, I'd be shocked, but I'd "trust the process" for a little bit before I jumped off my roof.

Yes.  If you're jumping off your roof, you've invested too much in football.  Life is bigger than that.

Edited by Dr. Who

36 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm also fine with a move  up to get Allen. 

15 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I remember when it was looked as an honor of sorts to be invited and attend. Times have changed since Rodgers was drafted. For each their own, but the experience only happens once.

I agree. The opportunity to experience this once in a lifetime event surrounded by your family and friends and others who've helped you get there is just too meaningful to spend away from them. 

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, I want them to share their accomplishment with people that were a part of the journey. The people that helped them get to the point where they could walk across that stage, people that they have a relationship with. John Calipari is always one of the stars of the NBA draft. It is a “graduation” of sorts. These coaches have played a vital role in these guys becoming 1st round picks.

This does not apply to all of them. Ask Rosen how he REALLY feels about Jim Mora. All of that sounded real nice though. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 8:03 AM, Looper said:

There does seem to be a difference in the "chalk board intelligence" between the two based off reports.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No way that board pic can be real......If it is, man that's crazy.  I would think things would be a little more professional there.

Edited by Lagoon Blues