Albert Breer's & Gregg Rosenthal's Franchise Tag Watch Lists

26CornerBlitz

Le’Veon Bell, Sammy Watkins Among Players Likely To Be Tagged

Franchise-Tag Predictions: Eight Likely Candidates

There is a surplus of NFL salary-cap space and a dearth of quality free agents for teams to spend their money on this offseason. Could that impact how teams use the franchise tag in the next few weeks?

While players like Panthers guard Andrew Norwell and Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller don't immediately leap off the page as "franchise" talents, a compelling case can be made to keep them around on ultra-expensive one-year contracts. With no long-term risk and enough cap space to handle big dollars, allowing any above-average starter to hit free agency feels foolish.

Teams can begin to use the franchise or transition tags on February 20, and must make their designations by March 6. I see eight players receiving the franchise tag this year, with a few wild cards in the mix.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With the NFL offseason heating up, one of the biggest storylines to watch will be which players get the franchise tag. Starting Feb. 20, teams have a two-week window to apply the one-year tender. Players who get the tag have to either sign their tender or negotiate a long-term contract with their teams before the July 16 deadline.

The franchise tag is essentially a one-year contract that guarantees a predetermined salary for players. The salary amount is set by the averaging the top five salaries by position for the previous league year, or if it’s higher, 120 percent of a player’s salary the previous season. So players like quarterbacks and defensive ends will have a much higher tag salary than positions like kicker or punter.

We don’t have official numbers for the 2018 season just yet, but here were the salary totals from 2017.

Quarterbacks: $21.268 million
Running backs: $12.120 million
Wide receivers: $15.682 million
Tight ends: $9.780 million
Offensive linemen: $14.271 million
Defensive tackles: $13.387million
Defensive ends: $16.934 million
Linebackers: $14.550 million
Cornerbacks: $14.212 million
Safeties: $10.896 million
Kickers/Punters: $4.835 million

Teams can only use the tag once per year. There are three different types of tags a team can assign.

Types of NFL franchise tags

Exclusive

Just what the name implies. The player is locked into his team and cannot negotiate with any other team during the free agency period.

Non-exclusive

The player is allowed to negotiate with other teams, but if a competing team makes a free agent offer, the original team has the right to match it. If they don’t match the offer, they get two first-round picks in compensation. In other words, this is basically a convoluted trade scenario.

Transition tag

Similar to the non-exclusive tag, except the player gets paid an average of the top 10 salaries at his position, rather than top five. Transition-tagged players are free to negotiate with other teams, but unlike non-exclusive players, the original team gets no compensation if it fails to match an offer.

The Franchise tag speculation just puts together a list of players that the Bills would never sign. Beane is not going to give a Max contract to anybody except maybe a QB.

Depressing.

Free Agency period will have us signing a few second and third tier FA's . If they are gems like Poyer I am ok with that.

Remember how desperate this place was on the opening day of Free agency in years past?

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Albert Breer's & Gregg Rosenthal's Franchise Tag Watch List

Franchise-Tag Predictions: Eight Likely Candidates

There is a surplus of NFL salary-cap space and a dearth of quality free agents for teams to spend their money on this offseason. Could that impact how teams use the franchise tag in the next few weeks?

While players like Panthers guard Andrew Norwell and Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller don't immediately leap off the page as "franchise" talents, a compelling case can be made to keep them around on ultra-expensive one-year contracts. With no long-term risk and enough cap space to handle big dollars, allowing any above-average starter to hit free agency feels foolish.

Teams can begin to use the franchise or transition tags on February 20, and must make their designations by March 6. I see eight players receiving the franchise tag this year, with a few wild cards in the mix.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Albert Breer's & Gregg Rosenthal's Franchise Tag Watch Lists
6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do the Bills have anyone on a Franchise Tag? If not, are there any of our current Free Agents that they’d use it on? 

Gaines is the best FA we have this year.

CB franchise tag is over 14 million.

The transition tag would only be a couple of million less.

I don't see the Bill's using a tag this year.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Gaines is the best FA we have this year.

CB franchise tag is over 14 million.

The transition tag would only be a couple of million less.

I don't see the Bill's using a tag this year.

Thanks Colorado.  You read my mind. I'm not sure the Bills are in the 'tagging' mood right now. They have lots of holes to fill.  I'm still pretty confused as to what/why the Redskins were doing with Cousins these past few years, only to end up missing the Playoffs and ultimately bailing out for his replacement.

I'd be really interested in seeing how many Teams have someone playing on a Franchise Tag.  Is it that common?

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks Colorado.  You read my mind. I'm not sure the Bills are in the 'tagging' mood right now. They have lots of holes to fill.  I'm still pretty confused as to what/why the Redskins were doing with Cousins these past few years, only to end up missing the Playoffs and ultimately bailing out for his replacement.

I'd be really interested in seeing how many Teams have someone playing on a Franchise Tag.  Is it that common?

Everyone seems to have different opinions about the whole Cousins thing.

Washington just seemed to not be able to decide on him as a starter especially with the whole RG3 situation.

I look at from Cousins point.

1.  He started 9 games in his first 3 years under his rookie contract.

2.  He started all 16 games in his final rookie year and went 9-7.  His 4th year he played for $700,000.

3.  Reports were Washington wanted him to sign in 2016 around 18 million per year and Cousins wanted more so he got tagged.

If those reports were true, you got to remember that Osweiler and TT signed for 18 million per that year.

4.  The 2017 tag was questionable because it should of been clear to the 'skins that Cousins didn't want to play for them anymore.

Here is an article about it.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/did-redskins-lowball-kirk-cousins-contract-talks

Report: Kirk Cousins could file grievance if franchise tagged

Cousins is attempting to become a free agent for the first time in his career.

Kirk Cousins is ready to take matters into his own hands should the Washington Redskins attempt the oft-rumored tag-and-trade.

According to Albert Breer of SI.com's The MMQB, the 29-year-old quarterback may file a grievance against the Redskins if they place the tag on him in hopes of generating trade interst in would-be free agent. Per the report, Cousins would file on the grounds that the Redskins had "violated the spirit of the rules" of the franchise tag given the team's proposed and agreed upon trade for Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith.

"By the way, if the Redskins attempt to franchise Cousins, my understanding is that his camp will quickly file a grievance to block tag, based on Washington violating the spirit of the rules, which dictate that players are tagged as a mechanism for teams to buy time in getting a long-term deal done," Breer said in his column.

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do the Bills have anyone on a Franchise Tag? If not, are there any of our current Free Agents that they’d use it on? 

....don't see anybody of that caliber qualifying for that type of money....these are the only three categories <$10 million..............

Tight end: $9.780m

Kicker/punter: $4.835m

Rockpile Beerman: $3.627m

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/16/2018 at 8:28 AM, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills don't have a premier free agent worth using the tag on. They don't want to spend 14.5 million on Gaines or Brown.