Bucket lists

boyst

On 2/11/2018 at 3:23 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Go to the best steak houses across America.

I do this when I travel for pleasure.   Always makes whatever trip - more enjoyable. :thumbsup:

On 2/10/2018 at 4:43 PM, Chef Jim said:

Whoa dude!  It would be my honor!!  

Did that a couple years ago to see my favorite band and got front row.  Actually the pit in front of front row.  Most awesome night of my life. 

What band?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What are your favorite steak places?

1) Halls Chophouse - Charleston, SC

2) Emeril's Delmonico - New Orleans. LA

Both of those places exceeded my expectations by a lot - and my expectations were high when I walked in there.    Food was flawless (Ribeye both places) - and so good that it was like a new experience.   And service was absolutely impeccable without being pretentious or snobby.

The "Captain" at Emeril's made my wife feel like a movie star.   Smart move on his part.   Reflected in his tip.

#3 I would say was Ruth's Chris in Knoxville TN.

Yours?

Edited by PolishDave

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

As long as you deal with possible consequences like raising your grandchild like my brother.  I doubt I will ever be a grandfather, my daughter has no interest in guys (or girls for that matter).  If she could give birth to a Pokemon she would be happy and will be 26 this month.

Oh no. I hope that changes for you.  

I am pretty sure the current attitude he has will change for my son (or so I keep telling myself). He turns 30 this year, will graduate with another masters in May, and once the job situation is more settled, I am hoping he reconsiders some of his current life choices. His GF isn't quite hearing the tick-tocks yet, so there is that. 

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Yours?

Used to be EB  Greens in Buffalo but they switched beef suppliers and the quality went way down.

I don't travel much so haven't found a great place yet. There are definitely some places on the food network on want to check out like Peter Lugers and Jess and Jim's in Missouri.

Going to Philly this summer, like anything there?

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Used to be EB  Greens in Buffalo but they switched beef suppliers and the quality went way down.

I don't travel much so haven't found a great place yet. There are definitely some places on the food network on want to check out like Peter Lugers and Jess and Jim's in Missouri.

Going to Philly this summer, like anything there?

Never been to Phili.     Peter Lugers' is also on my list.    A buddy of mine who grew up in NY promised we will go there.   We have joint family plans to do a NYC trip just so he can show us around the city.

On February 10, 2018 at 11:36 AM, PolishDave said:

Once was on a trip to Florida - met 2 girls in the hotel bar - they were very upfront about their sexual kinks - I was in my early 20's they were both in their mid 30's - I was to be their boy toy - I told them no because I was afraid I would get too wasted partying with them and end up missing my flight back to Buffalo.   I envisioned them tying me up and just leaving me there.  lol

Another time - also back in my hardcore party days (drugs and booze) I took 2 really hot female friends of mine to a local Buffalo strip club.   I knew both of the girls from back in high school and we had talked about the three of us going out partying before.  Both were several years younger than me.   The strip club was a blast.   Both girls were really hot.  So hot in fact that guys would walk up to them and just hand them money even though they weren't working there.    It was hilarious.   And guys kept buying them drinks.   I said - if you are buying them a drink, you're buying me one too.  Funniest part was some of the guys there thought I was a pimp. :lol:    I was like "No man.   Seriously.  We're just friends.   Hit on them if you want."   The guys kept telling these chicks they were hotter than the strippers in the club.   It was a total blast.   One guy followed me into the men's room when I went to take a leak and asked me how much it would cost him to have sex with one of them.   That made me think we needed to get the hell out of there.   It was getting weird.  Following a guy into the men's room is just too weird.   Gave me the creeps.   

So the three of us went to a nightclub by the airport and hit the dance floor.   Lots of bumping and grinding.   Lots of booze.  They were bumping and grinding me from both sides at the same time like the creme in the middle of a Hydrox cookie.   These girls were both bisexual and these two had several flings together before that I was aware of.  They suggested the 3 of us go get a hotel room and take things up a notch.  It was obvious where it was going.  They both had been hitting on me hard all night and making sexual references. I am pretty sure if they tag teamed me that night I would have died.   You can only party so hard before god says "you've had enough fun in life already son" and strikes you dead from your hedonistic overload.   Surely the adrenaline alone would have killed me.  I'm pretty sure my guardian angel saved me that night.

3rd time involved skinny dipping with 2 girls I was somewhat acquainted with that I ran into in a beer tent for a local American Legion event.  I knew that one of the girls was a stripper at a local club.  I was in my late 20's and had my own place about 1/2 hour away from my folks place.  My parents were out of town on vacation and that their house was empty at the time.   The girls were pretty well beered up and in full-on party mode.   I invited them to leave the beer tent and go skinny dipping at my folks place.   They agreed.   We got naked and jumped in the pool.    At first they were all giggly and playing hard to get.  I caught one them and the three of us started getting all touchy feely.   Then my brother appeared out of nowhere, turned the floodlight on and was like "What's up bro?"   He still lived at the house at the time and I didn't realize he was home.  It was around 2AM.  He heard all the noise and came out like WTF?  Totally killed the moment.   Had an opportunity to relocate and party elsewhere but I just chickened out and took them home (their homes).

If you honestly want to put yourself in position to have 3-somes - you ideally want to hang out with hardcore partiers - Biker chicks, strippers, party girls, etc.   I am pretty sure that will increase your odds drastically.   Involve lots of booze, drugs and wild parties and your odds go up farther yet.   But you might die doing it.  :D

LOL.  Thanks for the stories.

It's amazing how "mood", "timing" and alcohol can make people do things they would never do under a different set of circumstances.

Like you probably aren't going to find a 3some with 2 sober women in aisle 4 of the grocery store at 3:15pm on a Tuesday afternoon.

Get the same 2 women drunk and in the right environment at a bar or whatever at 2am and now the table is set.

On February 9, 2018 at 4:53 PM, section122 said:

I've got some stories but don't want to sound like Boyst...

Bottom line be upfront about wanting it, see where it goes, rinse and repeat.  Remember if you try 100 times and get 99 nos you still got 1 yes! :ph34r:

I like this approach in the sense that often in life, you can get what you want simply by asking for it.  

Closely related is the idea that if you DON'T ask for or pursue what you want in life, you probably won't get it.

Lastly, there are a variety of pursuits in life that require putting odds in your favor.  

Getting a new job can be like this.  100 resumes out the door equals 3 interviews; 3 interviews = 1 job offer.

Yeah, that's 99 failures out of 100, but it's also a new job, and you are only looking for one new job anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Both of those places exceeded my expectations by a lot - and my expectations were high when I walked in there.    Food was flawless (Ribeye both places) - and so good that it was like a new experience.   And service was absolutely impeccable without being pretentious or snobby.

The "Captain" at Emeril's made my wife feel like a movie star.   Smart move on his part.   Reflected in his tip.

#3 I would say was Ruth's Chris in Knoxville TN.

Yours?

Gotta hit Gibson's if either of you guys ever go to Chicago

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, WhoTom said:

I never planned an actual bucket list, but now and then I think about stuff I'd like to do. Here's one done and one to come:

Done: see a total solar eclipse.

Next up (I hope): see a concert at Red Rocks.

I'm stoked for 2024! We are going to buy tickets on SW to Austin & Buffalo and make the call 48 hours prior based on weather. 

We had 94% here and it was cool, but it was not 94% of the experience. It's totality or bust. 

You should sign up for the RR mailing list and find a show that works for you! Frontier is doing directs to DIA now and you can get to and from CO pretty cheap. 

I hate the term bucket list, but things I'd like to do in the next ~10 years:

Snowboard Alaska with a helicopter operation. 

Travel to the Far East

Celebrate a Bills Super Bowl victory. 

Complete a ~100 mile backpack (High Uinta trail, CDT through Weminuche / S San Juan Wilderness) 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

20 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I like this approach in the sense that often in life, you can get what you want simply by asking for it.  

Closely related is the idea that if you DON'T ask for or pursue what you want in life, you probably won't get it.

Lastly, there are a variety of pursuits in life that require putting odds in your favor.  

Getting a new job can be like this.  100 resumes out the door equals 3 interviews; 3 interviews = 1 job offer.

Yeah, that's 99 failures out of 100, but it's also a new job, and you are only looking for one new job anyway.

To the bolded: discovering that in my early 20s was a complete game changer for me.  So many people are scared to ask and fear the rejection.  On the flip side many people hate saying no so you get a lot more yes' than expected.

The second sentence is so very true too.  Can't be mad something doesn't happen for you if you don't try to make it happen.  I had a friend yell at me once that I only looked for #1.  I said yeah who else is looking out for me if I'm not looking out for myself?  I beat him out for a promotion he felt he deserved and that as a friend I shouldn't have gone for it.  I explained that I went for it because I thought I could do it and do well at it.

You are dead on with the last part.  People get weighed down by rejection.  I keep it moving.  100 nos 1000 nos 10000 nos doesn't matter it just makes the yes that much sweeter!

My story for the original topic we were talking about though was a bit of a long con on my part.  I'll pm you if you'd like to hear it but don't want to put it on the main board lol.

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Umphrey’s McGee. 

Great band!!!

Last year they had a band called Big Something opening for them.  They are an excellent band that you might also like if you haven't heard them.  (I'm not giving you advice! :lol:)

On 2/13/2018 at 8:41 AM, section122 said:

Great band!!!

Last year they had a band called Big Something opening for them.  They are an excellent band that you might also like if you haven't heard them.  (I'm not giving you advice! :lol:)

Saw them at canal side a couple years ago and a local band opened for them. Aqueous. They kicked ass! 

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Saw them at canal side a couple years ago and a local band opened for them. Aqueous. They kicked ass! 

They'll be live streaming their show tomorrow starting at 730 est on youtube.  Marcus king is opening and great on the guitar he's worth checking out then right into umphrey!

7 hours ago, section122 said:

They'll be live streaming their show tomorrow starting at 730 est on youtube.  Marcus king is opening and great on the guitar he's worth checking out then right into umphrey!

I fly to see them in Oakland next month. I have the nugs app which streams audio of every live show of theirs (and a few dozen other bands) the next day.  So I can be at the gym at 9am and hear their whole live show from the night before. It’s an awesome app worth every penny! 

Oh....and thanks for the advice but.....

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I fly to see them in Oakland next month. I have the nugs app which streams audio of every live show of theirs (and a few dozen other bands) the next day.  So I can be at the gym at 9am and hear their whole live show from the night before. It’s an awesome app worth every penny! 

Oh....and thanks for the advice but.....

:lol: I've been trying to toe the line and not give advice!!!  (seriously though Marcus King won't disappoint :ph34r:)

Is it the nugs.net app?  I just looked it up on the app store and that most closely resembles what you are talking about.  I would love something like that!  Youtube is a treasure trove of live shows and what I normally use but I'm always willing to check something new out.

1 hour ago, section122 said:

:lol: I've been trying to toe the line and not give advice!!!  (seriously though Marcus King won't disappoint :ph34r:)

Is it the nugs.net app?  I just looked it up on the app store and that most closely resembles what you are talking about.  I would love something like that!  Youtube is a treasure trove of live shows and what I normally use but I'm always willing to check something new out.

Yes. Nugs.net

• Like (+1) 1