Playoffs or high draft pick

berg1029

Playoffs or a high draft pick  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have preferred the Bills made the playoffs or get a shot at a top QB from the draft?

• Make playoffs-break 17 year playoff drought
    • Miss playoffs & have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB without trading up

Was discussing this with a few friends and there were mixed opinions.  Was just curious about everyone's take on this.  Would you prefer the Bill's didn't make the playoffs this past season, if it meant getting a shot at one of the top QBs in the draft (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, etc.)?

I'm going to refrain from giving my opinion in the op so I will not bias the poll

Edited by berg1029

Actually we CAN accomplish both ....

If I were the king of the Bills (which I'm not) I'd feel like all of the draft picks we got last off season for the trades we made are "found money" ... I'd trade our first, the first we got from KC, the second we got from LAR, and the fifth we got from Jax to INDY for their #3 pick ... you are then assured either Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or Allen.

Don't get all .... "that's too expensive" on me ... we have the draft capitol THIS YEAR .... assuming the Bills arrow is pointing up, we are going to be drafting in the 20's for years to come, and we STILL retain a handful of picks this year, and don't have to give up anything next year.

The "catch" with this strategy, is that the Colts have to be a willing partner. I think they will (depending on Luck's health), they have their QB, but the team around him pretty much stinks.

This is all a moot point if the Bills want a free agent QB that may come available and would rather spend $$$ instead of draft picks. 

Edited by macaroni
confused Rams with Chargers

2 minutes ago, macaroni said:

If I were the king of the Bills (which I'm not) I'd feel like all of the draft picks we got last off season for the trades we made are "found money" ... I'd trade our first, the first we got from KC, the second we got from LAR, and the fifth we got from Jax to INDY for their #3 pick ... you are then assured either Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or Allen.

Don't get all .... "that's too expensive" on me ... we have the draft capitol THIS YEAR .... assuming the Bills arrow is pointing up, we are going to be drafting in the 20's for years to come, and we STILL retain a handful of picks this year, and don't have to give up anything next year.

The "catch" with this strategy, is that the Colts have to be a willing partner. I think they will (depending on Luck's health), they have their QB, but the team around him pretty much stinks.

This is all a moot point if the Bills want a free agent QB that may come available and would rather spend $$$ instead of draft picks. 

The Giants will be taking a QB given Eli's age will definitely take one at 2 if they think somebody is jumping up to 3 from the 20's versus trading back to 4 and then getting their QB.   Don't assume that a "QB needy" team will be the only ones.  The Jags showed they could go pretty far with Bortles and might chance grabbing a rookie that could start mid-Season if Bortles is true to his typical form early on.  They have everything in place to win now and could afford to mortgage the farm on this spring's draft.  Throw Jimmy Johnson's trade chart in the trash as it will not get it done this spring.

I personally have a bit of "buyers remorse" when it comes to last season versus the upcoming draft.  The simple reality looking into the playoffs, for me, is that the offense had been pretty bad, and the defense simply wasn't good enough to win enough games to claim the Lombardi.  Let's just say that Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen are the top-4 guys.  I think I honestly would have rather seen the team go 3-13 and be drafting #2 overall.  Where they sit now, they would have to trade both first round picks and at least a second from this year to move up high enough to guarantee getting a signal caller.  That's a LOT of draft capital to pay for one playoff loss.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, macaroni said:

If I were Emperor I would sign a free agent QB for money not picks take the picks and package them for the once in a generation rb Barkley to give us a ridiculously good running game ( have to fortify the Online as well) .

Daboll likes a power running game? Ok there ya go.

4 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

I personally have a bit of "buyers remorse" when it comes to last season versus the upcoming draft.  The simple reality looking into the playoffs, for me, is that the offense had been pretty bad, and the defense simply wasn't good enough to win enough games to claim the Lombardi.  Let's just say that Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen are the top-4 guys.  I think I honestly would have rather seen the team go 3-13 and be drafting #2 overall.  Where they sit now, they would have to trade both first round picks and at least a second from this year to move up high enough to guarantee getting a signal caller.  That's a LOT of draft capital to pay for one playoff loss.

Easy to say at this point but how would you have felt around mid-season last fall?

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Giants will be taking a QB given Eli's age will definitely take one at 2 if they think somebody is jumping up to 3 from the 20's versus trading back to 4 and then getting their QB.   Don't assume that a "QB needy" team will be the only ones.  The Jags showed they could go pretty far with Bortles and might chance grabbing a rookie that could start mid-Season if Bortles is true to his typical form early on.  They have everything in place to win now and could afford to mortgage the farm on this spring's draft.  Throw Jimmy Johnson's trade chart in the trash as it will not get it done this spring.

I agree about the Giants ... I also think the Browns pick a QB so that's two of the four mentioned QBs gone. All I was saying is we have the draft choice "capitol" to get a premier QB THIS SEASON without hurting us too awfully bad, and a potential trade partner high enough to snag a QB at the top of the order, whereas in following seasons we just may not have the picks to offer for a potential franchise QB. I don't think the Jags come into the equation because they just don't have the picks to give to leapfrog our potential deal.

1 minute ago, macaroni said:

I agree about the Giants ... I also think the Browns pick a QB so that's two of the four mentioned QBs gone. All I was saying is we have the draft choice "capitol" to get a premier QB THIS SEASON without hurting us too awfully bad, and a potential trade partner high enough to snag a QB at the top of the order, whereas in following seasons we just may not have the picks to offer for a potential franchise QB. I don't think the Jags come into the equation because they just don't have the picks to give to leapfrog our potential deal.

The Jags could do it although be more expensive as more would have to come out of 2019 if we proposed two 2018 1st's, a 2018 2nd, and a very high 2019.  I don't think that Coughlin would be of a mindset to be that spendy but he's never been in a position of literally being one player away either.   I really don't want to give up that much so I am hoping somebody else gambles away their future and is run out of town in 3 years versus it being our FO.  

3 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

If I were Emperor I would sign a free agent QB for money not picks take the picks and package them for the once in a generation rb Barkley to give us a ridiculously good running game ( have to fortify the Online as well) .

Daboll likes a power running game? Ok there ya go.

I think I would also prefer spending the money for a free agent QB too ... but to stand pat with our picks and fill areas of need. Problem is ... which free agent QB will be available?

I think the Vikes keep Bridgewater and Keenum ... the other QB is just too fragile for me to take a chance on

I think the Eagles keep Foles, he's cheep and still under contract

I think Cousins is going to the Broncos

I just don't see an available combination of talent and youth that would trump the top four draft QBs. 

1 minute ago, macaroni said:

I think I would also prefer spending the money for a free agent QB too ... but to stand pat with our picks and fill areas of need. Problem is ... which free agent QB will be available?

I think the Vikes keep Bridgewater and Keenum ... the other QB is just too fragile for me to take a chance on

I think the Eagles keep Foles, he's cheep and still under contract

I think Cousins is going to the Broncos

I just don't see an available combination of talent and youth that would trump the top four draft QBs. 

Build up the line for Bradford.  It's going to have to be done anyways.

18 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a night. Give a man a franchise QB and he eats for a lifetime. Or something like that

Give  a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit on a boat and drink beer with his friends all day.

PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Was discussing this with a few friends and there were mixed opinions.  Was just curious about everyone's take on this.  Would you prefer the Bill's didn't make the playoffs this past season, if it meant getting a shot at one of the top QBs in the draft (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, etc.)?

I'm going to refrain from giving my opinion in the op so I will not bias the poll

always want to make the playoffs....similar discussion a while back...arguing with someone who would have rather lost 4 Superbowls in a row than win 1 and not go back. 

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Give  a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit on a boat and drink beer with his friends all day.

PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!

I'd rather be drinking at the victory celebration parade after winning the Super Bowl!  looks like fun :thumbsup: