tax prep software

wnysteel

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

We hired an accountant about 14 years ago when my ex ran a daycare out of our house.  She only ran the daycare for about 5 years, but we kept bringing our taxes to the accountant every year.  It's a couple hundred bucks, but worth every penny to me.

My 2014 state returns were audited last year and they said I owed them $530.  I called the accountant and faxed over the letter.  He drafted a response letter "from me," and mailed it to me so I could, in turn, mail it to the state.

In the end, I did owe the money (due to a !@#$ up by Vanguard - which they never owned up to, the bastards).  But it was nice knowing I had an expert to turn to and he didn't charge me for the research/letter/guidance.

Using an accountant for the first time ever this year due to an interstate move.

I've gone to an accountant since my first marriage, about 12 years ago. She always makes sure I get money back. I think I pay about $60 every year. This year will be a challenge, job change, relationship change, and having to buy tools for work that they don't provide. 

11 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I've gone to an accountant since my first marriage, about 12 years ago. She always makes sure I get money back. I think I pay about $60 every year. This year will be a challenge, job change, relationship change, and having to buy tools for work that they don't provide

To me this looks like

a  tax break for  buying tools for work

a tax break for job change.      Did you move or is your new job over 50 miles away?  Did you have any job search expenses?

possible tax break for relationship change

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Did you move or is your new job over 50 miles away?  Did you have any job search expenses?

The home office is in a different state but I'm still where I was. No real expenses unless you just count the time spent looking. 

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

We hired an accountant about 14 years ago when my ex ran a daycare out of our house.  She only ran the daycare for about 5 years, but we kept bringing our taxes to the accountant every year.  It's a couple hundred bucks, but worth every penny to me.

My 2014 state returns were audited last year and they said I owed them $530.  I called the accountant and faxed over the letter.  He drafted a response letter "from me," and mailed it to me so I could, in turn, mail it to the state.

In the end, I did owe the money (due to a !@#$ up by Vanguard - which they never owned up to, the bastards).  But it was nice knowing I had an expert to turn to and he didn't charge me for the research/letter/guidance.

My wife basically does our taxes, then I take them to the CPA. We pay him to look it over, wrap it up and be our safety net. I want NO trouble with the IRS. It’s much simpler since I am no longer (self) employed. Still, we owe HUGE this year since they didn’t withhold enough from my wife’s bonuses. I know....it’s a good problem to have, but it’s a painful check to write! 

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Since you're paying the Government, which is headed by Donald Trump, I have re-worded your post appropriately

You are correct, and even he would consider this a painful event. I did not see THIS coming, but again....I guess it’s a “good problem”? 

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

You are correct, and even he would consider this a painful event. I did not see THIS coming, but again....I guess it’s a “good problem”? 

Maybe if he paid taxes.

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

it really is the way to go.  i'm lucky because my dad is an accounant, but he's told me countless stories how people have missed deductions they could have submitted, or how bad the H and R blocks of the world have errored on the returns.  i suppose if someone's taxes are ultra simple, why not try, but i'm at the point in my life where i have a "guy" for everything...accountant, insurance, payroll, financial planner, etc.  i want a rep for everything so i don't have to deal with it.  actually, it's mostly so i don't screw anything up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

The home office is in a different state but I'm still where I was. No real expenses unless you just count the time spent looking. 

Job search expenses are deductible. 

Say if you paid for Resume perp and printing mailing etc. travel to any interview is also a possibility.  

it it may not add up to a lot but every penny counts.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Think he uses Turbo Tax? 

Tub-o Tax.  

• 2 months later...

taxes are not due until April 17th this year

On 2/13/2018 at 4:25 PM, Augie said:

My wife basically does our taxes, then I take them to the CPA. We pay him to look it over, wrap it up and be our safety net. I want NO trouble with the IRS. It’s much simpler since I am no longer (self) employed. Still, we owe HUGE this year since they didn’t withhold enough from my wife’s bonuses. I know....it’s a good problem to have, but it’s a painful check to write! 

you always want to owe.

Edited by Foxx

30 minutes ago, Foxx said:

taxes are not due until April 17th this year

you always want to owe.

My father felt that way.  I/we completely disagree. We don’t want to owe anyone anything. The CPA is right, and we won’t pay off our modest mortgage to have ZERO debt, but it has a certain appeal. Just today we put in an offer on a great townhouse that we will rent to our son and a roommate. Georgeous place on the Beltline in Atlanta. Nice investment for us, and he/they will help us pay for it. 

It’s not like the early 80’s where I could be making 18% on my cash while we wait for the last minute. It’s just not worth the anguish for the minimal return. Still, it’s a good problem to have. 

On 2/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, Augie said:

My wife just showed my son how to use Turbo Tax. Put in how much you made, the employers tax ID and everything autopopulates apparently. BOOM! Taxes are done. He’s a pretty simple case. He’s also a CPA. I’m glad he doesn’t rely on doing simple returns for a living, or sell slide rules for that matter. 

Wait a minute....he's a CPA and he needed his mother to show him how to use Turbo Tax?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the profession!   

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Wait a minute....he's a CPA and he needed his mother to show him how to use Turbo Tax?

Yeah, he is a CPA with a Masters in Accounting, majors in finance and accounting, but mom showed him how to do his taxes. Pretty funny, but that’s not the stuff you know until you’ve done it once. He’s barely out of school. Your masters year does NOT include 3 credit hours in Turbo Tax. 

When he did his internship before the Masters year, a senior partner came before the group and said “don’t worry, we know you don’t know squat!”  Very....comforting?  ^_^

Just now, Augie said:

Yeah, he is a CPA with a Masters in Accounting, majors in finance and accounting, but mom showed him how to do his taxes. Pretty funny, but that’s not the stuff you know until you’ve done it once. He’s barely out of school. Your masters year does NOT include 3 credit hours in Turbo Tax. 

When he did his internship before the Masters year, a senior partner came before the group and said “don’t worry, we know you don’t know squat!”  Very....comforting?  ^_^

We used to call them IROCs for reason....and we've all been there!  :lol:

13 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Starbucks_RBC6052(1).jpg