Daryl Johnston radio row

CommonCents

If anyone has a chance today try and catch the "moose" doing interviews on radio row. He is as sharp as a tack. Looks to be in great in shape. Clear thinking, quick, well worded. 

He answered a few questions on the great CTE debate. He said he reads up on it and stays informed and does all he can do to increase his chances of good health. Talked about exercising, eating healthy. All the normal stuff. He said something about the workouts keeping the blood flowing which benefits the brain. 

For any of the younger posters who don't remember "moose" he was one of the best FB to ever play the game, took and gave as many hits as I can remember.

One guy isn't evidence of much, I will make the leap, I want to see which guys who continue a healthy lifestyle after football end up living a good life.  Eating, working out, yah know like the rest of us have to do. Is football a death sentence or a game that will ruin your older years? Don't be so quick to judge.

Guys that stay using pain pills and end up being couch potatoes are going to have more health problems. Heck my deadbeat fathers family would tell you they have bad genetics and they are all dying off in their 50's, I will tell you none of them work and live a sedentary lifestyle and that's what kills them. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

If anyone has a chance today try and catch the "moose" doing interviews on radio row. He is as sharp as a tack. Looks to be in great in shape. Clear thinking, quick, well worded. 

He answered a few questions on the great CTE debate. He said he reads up on it and stays informed and does all he can do to increase his chances of good health. Talked about exercising, eating healthy. All the normal stuff. He said something about the workouts keeping the blood flowing which benefits the brain. 

For any of the younger posters who don't remember "moose" he was one of the best FB to ever play the game, took and gave as many hits as I can remember.

One guy isn't evidence of much, I will make the leap, I want to see which guys who continue a healthy lifestyle after football end up living a good life.  Eating, working out, yah know like the rest of us have to do. Is football a death sentence or a game that will ruin your older years? Don't be so quick to judge.

Guys that stay using pain pills and end up being couch potatoes are going to have more health problems. Heck my deadbeat fathers family would tell you they have bad genetics and they are all dying off in their 50's, I will tell you none of them work and live a sedentary lifestyle and that's what kills them. 

I think when some of the dust settles, there is going to be a lot about the specifics of the hits - guys who go helmet-first all the time - and also about the regime people follow while they are playing, if they use certain drugs a lot (not necessarily illegal ones, maybe corticosteroids injections? alcohol?) and yes, specifics of nutrition, and then self-care post-career.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think when some of the dust settles, there is going to be a lot about the specifics of the hits - guys who go helmet-first all the time - and also about the regime people follow while they are playing, if they use certain drugs a lot (not necessarily illegal ones, maybe corticosteroids injections? alcohol?) and yes, specifics of nutrition, and then self-care post-career.

15,000 head slaps from playing on O-line is probably the worst thing to accumulate

someone back in the day kept telling his teammate to stop with the head slaps during training camp, so he put a helmet screw's pointy end jutting out two inches for one session and the lineman found his hand impaled on the helmet...

Yea, I caught his piece on the Clay Travis show this morning.  Very talented communicator and his take on the phase-out and re-emergence of the running back position was very interesting.  I had no idea he was from the Buffalo area and went to Syracuse.  Sign me up for his fan club.  Good dude right there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

And, he is a western New Yorker.  He grew up in the Lewiston area. Then he went to Syracuse.

He was the 1983 Buffalo News WNY player of the year. I played against him in high school. Fond memory, he had gotten through the line and was about 7-10 yards downfield and I chased him down from behind. He looked up at me after with this look like he couldn’t believe it. 

29 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Well playing fullback when he did has to rank pretty high on the violent hits chart.

you never know how it turns out for each individual, that's why it's so scary

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you never know how it turns out for each individual, that's why it's so scary

It is scary but I do think there is more behind this thing than just the physical contact. Pain killers, depression, being unhealthy. If the contact causes CTE and every player has it how can we explain a guy like Johnston? He took as much contact as anyone and he is doing very well.

I will never be convinced that collisions like that are healthy but I remain unconvinced that it's a death sentence. 

More research needs to be done and as time passes if guys like Johnston and Strahan continue to stay onto of their current careers that will further my doubts. 

Edited by Commonsense

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It is scary but I do think there is more behind this thing than just the physical contact. Pain killers, depression, being unhealthy. If the contact causes CTE and every player has it how can we explain a guy like Johnston? He took as much contact as anyone and he is doing very well.

I will never be convinced that collisions like that are healthy but I remain unconvinced that it's a death sentence. 

More research needs to be done and as time passes if guys like Johnston and Strahan continue to stay onto of their current careers that will further my doubts. 

Johnson is the norm, not the exception.

The better question is, given that every NFL player has accumulated innumerable hits since Pop Warner, why do so few develop neurological disease later in life?  How are the ones like Seau and Mike Webster different from the rest of the players?

good points commonsense, some have semi-seriously wondered if you have an on/off switch where one blow to the head sends you crazy and the next one stabilizes you, so maybe a post-career rap on the noggin might might you all good to go....