Fred Jackson Is The WRONG Kind of Player To Roast

BuffaloRush

I keep hearing WGR trying to hype their roast of Fred Jackson next month:

http://www.wgr550.com/events/wgr-roast-fred-jackson

Years ago they started this with a Thurman Thomas roast and rightfully so.  Thurman is a great guy to roast because while we all love him, there are definitely things that you can poke fun at him about.  Thurman also has a great sense of humor and can dish it right back. 

In my opinion, Fred Jackson is the wrong person they should have used as a subject for the roast.  Watch the roasts on Comedy Central or before that, the Dean Martin Roasts.  You roast someone with things that you can actually make fun of them about.   You want to make a joke at someone's expense, while it's all in good fun,  the jokes are somewhat mean spirited.   Honestly, does anyone really want to see Fred Jackson get made fun of?  And what really is there is to make fun or Fred about?  He's an underdog that overachieved big time -- one of the most likable players in team history.  We all love Fred, so when someone takes a shot at him we'll probably empathize with him as opposed to laugh at his expense.  It would be like "roasting" a guy like Frank Reich.  Not gonna work.    

You really have to stretch to find things to make fun of Fred about, and without professional comedians helping to write it's going to be tough.  If you go this this - I'd bet the ranch that it really won't be funny.  It might be cool to see former Bills and fun event, but there's no way it will be as funny as a real roast.  

There are much better candidates to be roast subjects associated with the Bills.  Here are my top options - all of which would be miles better than Fred.  I want to hear your suggestions too.

Front Office Personnel:

Terry Pegula

Russ Brandon (instant sell-out, mark my words)

John Murphy (Bills fans would love this one)

Marv Levy

Current players:

Tyrod Taylor (great guy but definitely things you could poke fun at him about)

Richie Incognito (imagine this one)

Bills Legends:

Jim Kelly 

Bruce Smith

Doug Flutie

Former Bills:

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Terrell Owens (a perfect candidate)

Donte Whitner

Marcell Darius

Of course, there's a three-way tie for the greatest roast subjects in Bills history - The Doug Marrone Roast, The Rex Ryan Roast, or the Doug Whaley Roast.  Legendary.

What other Bills players/personnel would you like to see roasted?????

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dude it's all in good fun...

roasts have been going on for 50+ years   And it is all to celebrate Fred

comedy central roasts are raunchy but they are paid to be...its all in good fun man

I think he gets that it’s in fun but doesn’t see any good angles for quality jokes...

It’ll likely be a mixed bag. You can slide some amusing ones comparing him to all the backs that were supposed to replace him... maybe his steakhouse... at this point drought jokes are funny

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I think he gets that it’s in fun but doesn’t see any good angles for quality jokes...

It’ll likely be a mixed bag. You can slide some amusing ones comparing him to all the backs that were supposed to replace him... maybe his steakhouse... at this point drought jokes are funny

Thank you....this was my original point.  Some seem to be misinterpreting what I was trying to say.  

I get that it's all in good fun but as @NoSaint said much better than I did - there's not a lot of angles for quality jokes.  Therefore Fred's the wrong guy to roast

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Joke about drag racing and how his twin brother is more handsome and athletic ... that will crack him up lol

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How would he know unless he was close enough to know him well like a teammate or his twin broither?  Dumb thread. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

How would he know unless he was close enough to know him well like a teammate or his twin broither?  Dumb thread. 

I'm speaking in a general sense.  If we have to listen to long story to hear something funny, chances are there aren't a lot of good angles you can take for jokes.

Also - Aaron Williams, Bryan Scott, and Eric Wood aren't exactly the greatest storytellers. Fitzpatrick is actually funny so there's one hope there.  

My point was - they should have found a better subject

Just now, K-9 said:

Everyone is eligible to get roasted. From Genghis Khan to Mother Teresa. Nobody is above (or below) a good old fashioned ball busting.

Sure but some people make for funnier roasts than other do.  My point is Fred probably was not the best subject if you want to see a humorous roast like you'd see on Comedy Central

32 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I'm speaking in a general sense.  If we have to listen to long story to hear something funny, chances are there aren't a lot of good angles you can take for jokes.

Also - Aaron Williams, Bryan Scott, and Eric Wood aren't exactly the greatest storytellers. Fitzpatrick is actually funny so there's one hope there.  

My point was - they should have found a better subject

My point is you don't know one way or the other unless you're close enough to have some personal anecdotes or stories to tell. Why would you even care unless you're buying a ticket since it's not something that will be broadcast anywhere?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

... Sure but some people make for funnier roasts than other do.  My point is Fred probably was not the best subject if you want to see a humorous roast like you'd see on Comedy Central

You should have more faith in the joke writers for the event. 

I like the topic and agree that it probably won’t be that funny. When you have Eric Wood and Bryan Scott slinging jokes it will probably be especially awful. It will be like when the Situation was on the Trump Roast:

With that being said TO would be great. Rex Ryan would be really good too. Aaron Maybin would also be entertaining. I think that Corey McIntyre would be my first choice though!!

My point is you don't know one way or the other unless you're close enough to have some personal anecdotes or stories to tell. Why would you even care unless you're buying a ticket since it's not something that will be braodcast anywhere?

Yeah because personal anecdotes that take 5 minutes to set up are more funny than jokes which are universally understood.  I'm just stating this because I hear it advertised on WGR quite a bit and I just don't feel Fred's Roast will be funny.  My opinion

There will definitely be some material but it’s probably fair to say he’s not the prime guy for riffing on with topics widely known by fans.

Doing his Incredible Hulk move after household chores? 

Most guys are just easier. Fitz would get beard jokes, ring jokes, Harvard jokes, sabotaging every starting qb jokes, weak arm jokes, jokes about recorded phone calls, and so on...

freds less funny as a public figure. Nothing to defend there. Relatively quiet, hard worker, that wasn’t that quirky publicly- no shame in any of that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like the topic and agree that it probably won’t be that funny. When you have Eric Wood and Bryan Scott slinging jokes it will probably be especially awful. It will be like when the Situation was on the Trump Roast:

With that being said TO would be great. Rex Ryan would be really good too. Aaron Maybin would also be entertaining. I think that Corey McIntyre would be my first choice though!!

Thank you - finally someone that understand comedy and what I was trying to say.  I like Eric Wood and listened to him every week he's been on WGR the past two seasons.  He's an insightful guy but not really a funny storyteller.  Same thing with Aaron Williams.  

Fitzpatrick IS pretty funny.  He might be the only presenter worth hearing

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

There will definitely be some material but it’s probably fair to say he’s not the prime guy for riffing on with topics widely known by fans.

Doing his Incredible Hulk move after household chores? 

Most guys are just easier. Fitz would get beard jokes, ring jokes, Harvard jokes, sabotaging every starting qb jokes, weak arm jokes, jokes about recorded phone calls, and so on...

freds less funny as a public figure. Nothing to defend there. Relatively quiet, hard worker, that wasn’t that quirky publicly- no shame in any of that.

Who cares unless you're in the audience? There could be plenty to laugh about from the people who know him well and it depends on how good the roasters are in addition to what Fred comes back with. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz