OT--- How the hell is Roger Craig not in the HOF?

Big Turk

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Conversely ...

How the hell is Terrell Davis IN the Hall of Fame?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm

For comparison, here are Craig's stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CraiRo00.htm

If you go strictly by statistics, perhaps Jim Brown shouldn't be in the Hall since he only played nine years back in the era when guys like George Blanda were playing into their 40s.  Davis belongs in the Hall.

29 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

If you go strictly by statistics, perhaps Jim Brown shouldn't be in the Hall since he only played nine years back in the era when guys like George Blanda were playing into their 40s.  Davis belongs in the Hall.

You silly.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The O line should be in the Hall of Fame; not Terrell Davis.  His stats, for Canton, are pathetic.

TD should be in, the only knock on him is that his career was short. The guy could dominate a game. Just look at the first Denver SB win. When he was out of that game with his migraine all the momentum flipped to the Packers. Then when TD came back in ...  30 attempts, 157 yards (5.23/att) and 3 TDs. Plus you have to respect the 2000 yards club as credentials.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I believe he was also the first player ever (and maybe the only one...don't know) to rush and receive for a 1,000 yards in the same season.

Not the only...Marshall Faulk in St.Louis did it as part of the greatest show on turf.  Maybe others...?

He definitely redefined the position and was crucial to Bill Walsh's vision for the WCO.

His stats are really up and down.  He had a couple years of 2000+ yards from scrimmage, but the rest of the time he was kind of middling.   

HOVG based on stats, but possibly a serious HOF candidate when you consider rings and innovation.

1 minute ago, dulles said:

Not the only...Marshall Faulk in St.Louis did it as part of the greatest show on turf.  Maybe others...?

He definitely redefined the position and was crucial to Bill Walsh's vision for the WCO.

His stats are really up and down.  He had a couple years of 2000+ yards from scrimmage, but the rest of the time he was kind of middling.   

HOVG based on stats, but possibly a serious HOF candidate when you consider rings and innovation.

It is an amazing achievement.  2,000 yards rushing has been done a few times, but only (2) 1,000/1,000s...tremendous.

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It is an amazing achievement.  2,000 yards rushing has been done a few times, but only (2) 1,000/1,000s...tremendous.

I was just comparing Faulk's stats...He did it four years in a row.  Craig did it, but had down years in between.  

Another comparison: our own Thurman Thomas

He had only 2 seasons over 2000 yards from scrimmage, but he racked up a bunch more in the 1500-1750 range.  He also had 50% more rushing yards over his career (12,000 vs 8000).  

Craig's numbers are impressive, but they start to fade a little when compared to other legitimate HOFers.

Edited by dulles

2 minutes ago, dulles said:

I was just comparing Faulk's stats...He did it four years in a row.  Craig did it, but had down years in between.  

Sorry, we may have mis-communicated, dulles.

I am talking about rushing for 1,000 yards and receiving for 1,000 yards in the same year.  Not a total of 2,000 plus yards.

Thurman did that as well, I think twice he was over 2,000 total yards.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Sorry, we may have mis-communicated, dulles.

I am talking about rushing for 1,000 yards and receiving for 1,000 yards in the same year.  Not a total of 2,000 plus yards.

Thurman did that as well, I think twice he was over 2,000 total yards.

:) we're on the same page.  

I think the reason why Craig isn't in is because he didn't have the same longevity that leads to HOF stats.  It's another reason why T. Davis was a questionable selection.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I believe he was also the first player ever (and maybe the only one...don't know) to rush and receive for a 1,000 yards in the same season.

Yes, he was the first. Marshall Faulk is the only other player I know of to duplicate the feat. Marshall Faulk is in the HOF. Craig should be as well, especially with guys like Terrell Davis getting in. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dulles said:

:) we're on the same page.  

I think the reason why Craig isn't in is because he didn't have the same longevity that leads to HOF stats.  It's another reason why T. Davis was a questionable selection.  

I hate to sound like a broken record, but ... postseason. It matters. They're the biggest and most meaningful games, and they're on the biggest stage. They determine champions, which is what the NFL is all about. Outside of Tom Brady and Joe Montana, there is no better postseason performer in league history than Terrell Davis. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but ... postseason. It matters.

I said questionable, not wrong.  :)

I watched those SB's too. 

That would be another strong argument for Roger Craig - three rings.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dulles said:

I said questionable, not wrong.  :)

I watched those SB's too. 

That would be another strong argument for Roger Craig - three rings.

Yeah, but Craig wasn't the driving force in those postseasons. Montana was, with help from Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, and of course Jerry Rice. I actually don't have an opinion one way or the other about Craig, to be honest. But there are more productive players than him at the same position who aren't in (Ricky Watters and Edgerrin James).

In 6 games playoff games in 1981 and 1984, Clark had 36 catches for 541 yards. That's a lot!!

EDIT: In his 3 SB seasons, Craig had 1,040 yards from scrimmage in 9 games along with 8 TDs. That's obviously pretty damn good.

Edited by dave mcbride