OT--- How the hell is Roger Craig not in the HOF?

Big Turk

I dont get it...he literally defined the all-purpose back as we know it today...almost 13,000 rushing/receiving yards? 

Just read this was his last year on the ballot...I always thought he was already in...its a travesty...

Boggles my mind how this guy is not in.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I dont get it...he literally defined the all-purpose back as we know it today...almost 13,000 rushing/receiving yards? 

Just read this was his last year on the ballot...I always thought he was already in...its a travesty...

I believe he was also the first player ever (and maybe the only one...don't know) to rush and receive for a 1,000 yards in the same season.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

HOVG is where he belongs.

He is far better than some of the people who have gotten in after him...and they didnt redefine a position even

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I believe he was also the first player ever (and maybe the only one...don't know) to rush and receive for a 1,000 yards in the same season.

Only one other than Marshall Faulk but he did it first

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Conversely ...

How the hell is Terrell Davis IN the Hall of Fame?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm

For comparison, here are Craig's stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CraiRo00.htm

I think craig has a very valid argument but I cant disagree with davis being in. you cant talk about the nfl of the mid to late 90's without him. he had as dominant a stretch as a runner has ever seen. its very similar to gale sayers short lived dominance and HOF spot.... just to impactful to ignore.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

I think craig has a very valid argument but I cant disagree with davis. you cant talk about the nfl of the mid to late 90's without him. he had as dominant a stretch as a runner has ever seen. its very similar to gale sayers short lived dominance and HOF spot.... just to impactful to ignore.

The O line should be in the Hall of Fame; not Terrell Davis.  His stats, for Canton, are pathetic.

Just his playoff rushing totals make a good case for his HOF chances, let alone his other contributions...

NFL Rushing Yards Career Playoffs Leaders

+ indicates Hall of Famer

Rank Player Yds Years Tm
1 Emmitt Smith+ 1,586 1990-2004 dal
2 Franco Harris+ 1,556 1972-1984 pit
3 Thurman Thomas+ 1,442 1988-2000 buf
4 Tony Dorsett+ 1,383 1977-1988 dal
5 Marcus Allen+ 1,347 1982-1997 2TM
6 Terrell Davis+ 1,140 1995-2001 den
7 John Riggins+ 996 1971-1985 was
8 Marshawn Lynch 937 2007-2017 sea
9 Larry Csonka+ 891 1968-1979 mia
10 Chuck Foreman 860 1973-1980 min
11 Edgerrin James 852 1999-2009 2TM
12 Roger Craig 841 1983-1993 2TM
13 Earnest Byner 839 1984-1997 2TM
14 Curtis Martin+ 795 1995-2005 2TM
15 Eddie George 776 1996-2004 oti
16 Ray Rice 750 2008-2013 rav
17 Eric Dickerson+ 724 1983-1993 2TM
18 Dorsey Levens 702 1994-2004 2TM
19 Lawrence McCutcheon 687 1972-1981 ram
20 Jerome Bettis+ 674 1993-2005 pit

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think craig has a very valid argument but I cant disagree with davis. you cant talk about the nfl of the mid to late 90's without him. he had as dominant a stretch as a runner has ever seen. its very similar to gale sayers short lived dominance and HOF spot.... just to impactful to ignore.

Gale Sayers should be in there, either.  Five good seasons doesn't make anyone one of the best.  And Davis only had FOUR.

Just now, Gugny said:

The O line should be in the Hall of Fame; not Terrell Davis.  His stats, for Canton, are pathetic.

go look at sayers. nobody is arguing he shouldn't be in.

davis ran for 2000 yds in a season and sat out enough 4th quarters that year that it equaled missing a whole game. 

he had a 4 year stretch that was unheard of. some players get in on longevity and consistency(art monk comes to mind) while others have gotten in on short term, insanely dominant, impacts.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Gale Sayers should be in there, either.  Five good seasons doesn't make anyone one of the best.  And Davis only had FOUR.

generational talents that were the best of their brief times. so good that they left a large impact that cant be ignored. 

agree to disagree I guess.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

go look at sayers. nobody is arguing he shouldn't be in.

davis ran for 2000 yds in a season and sat out enough 4th quarters that year that it equaled missing a whole game. 

he had a 4 year stretch that was unheard of. some players get in on longevity and consistency(art monk comes to mind) while others have gotten in on short term, insanely dominant, impacts.

I'll never be convinced that a good 4 year stretch is worthy of a call to Canton.  Never. 

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll never be convinced that a good 4 year stretch is worthy of a call to Canton.  Never. 

well whatever.... a bunch of others that vote on it apparently disagree.

if davis never got in I would have understood it. but I totally get why he's in as well. 

I think the 2 superbowls have something to do with it as well. I don't believe Michael Irvin or aikman get in if they don't have 3 titles. their numbers, especially aikmans, are dwarfed by other HOF players of that era.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Add Ricky Watters to that list as well.  

14,891 yards rushing/receiving - 91TDs and a Super Bowl ring, where he played lights out!

A travesty!

Edited by Chicken Boo

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

14,891 yards rushing/receiving - 91TDs and a Super Bowl ring, where he played lights out!

A travesty!

ricky has a huge gripe as well.... he was a jerk to the media and I think that's what screwed him.

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

HOVG is where he belongs.

Yeah in his day 1,000 yard seasons were THE benchmark and he only had 3 of them.    Was a better receiver than RB.    William Andrews was a better all purpose back than Craig and he's basically forgotten.

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Conversely ...

How the hell is Terrell Davis IN the Hall of Fame?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm

For comparison, here are Craig's stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CraiRo00.htm

Terrell Davis ABSOLUTELY belongs in the HOF, and it's actually a slam dunk. He had 1200 yards rushing and 12 TDs in 8 playoff games, which is staggering. Prorated, his postseason numbers amount to 2,400 rushing yards and 24 TDs over a 16 game season - and this is against the best competition in the league. Plus he was a SB MVP (deservingly so too).

Unlike baseball, postseason performance actually matters in football. 

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah in his day 1,000 yard seasons were THE benchmark and he only had 3 of them.    Was a better receiver than RB.    William Andrews was a better all purpose back than Craig and he's basically forgotten.

Lydell Mitchell too. He was the first to really occupy the sort of role that Craig filled for a sustained period of time. 

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Postseason. It matters. And it should. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Terrell Davis ABSOLUTELY belongs in the HOF, and it's actually a slam dunk. He had 1200 yards rushing and 12 TDs in 8 playoff games, which is staggering. Prorated, his postseason numbers amount to 2,400 rushing yards and 24 TDs over a 16 game season - and this is against the best competition in the league. Plus he was a SB MVP (deservingly so too).

Lydell Mitchell too. He was the first to really occupy the sort of role that Craig filled for a sustained period of time. 

that's just massive.... you're right, I think the nfl voters take postseason play into account BIG TIME. and those numbers are NUTS.

I already stated in a prior post that I don't think aikman or Irvin even get thought of for the hall if they didn't have the post-season success they had. especially aikman. both their cumulative numbers over their careers don't stack up very well over other HOF players of their era's.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Postseason. It matters. And it should. 

Lenny Moore well before Mitchell and great point on Terrell Davis.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Lenny Moore well before Mitchell and great point on Terrell Davis.

Absolutely on Lenny Moore. Nice point! I was born in 1967 so I never saw him play, but as a kid I remember watching Lydell Mitchell make catch after catch from Bert Jones (one of the better QBs I ever watched). 

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

A travesty!

Rickey Running Waters! He was a really good player too