Cousins vs. Trade Up

Cousins vs. trade up  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Cousins or trade into the top 5?

There are no bullet proof QB options in the draft, there almost never are (Elway, Luck are all I can think of). There are however at least 3 solid options that could be a number 1 overall in most years. Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield look as if they will be prospects that could have been competing for #1 overall in any of the last 10 years except 2012. I believe that you need three things in order for a heavy investment in a QB 1) There needs to be a guy worth getting, this year there is. 2) you know you have a hole at QB, we know we do. 3) you need to be able to get into a position to get the guy you want, thanks to trades we have that ability. The last time we had these three things come together was 2004 but instead of going all in to the jump the Steelers and grab Big Ben we took the safe route and took Lee Evans, trading back into the 1st for Losman. It was the worst mistake of the drought era. Sure we got a chance at a QB and a quality WR but we missed a HOFer.  Draft pick values indicate it will take both our firsts and a second to move up so we get 1 player rather than three, but if the pick works out then we are still in a better position than we are if we stand pat and get 3 Lee Evans quality players. We have a rare opportunity and I'd hate to say "Lets play it safe and if it does not work out well try next time." because as 2004 showed us you may have to wait 14 years for next time. 

As for Cousins he has all the negotiating leverage so he will be the highest paid player in the League. It would commit such a large % of the cap to one player that we would be like the Packers a 3-8 team wrapped around a solid QB except that Cousins isn't as good as Rogers. 

Edited by Batman1876

26 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I disagree.  Eagles, Rams and Texans seem to have found franchise Qbs.  So if the best prospects are going top 10 why wouldnt you use some of the assests gained to get one of those guys? Its not the Saints or Vikings trading the farm for 1 player.  Buffalo could move up by packaging 21,22 and the 2nd from La to get a caliber and potenial at Qb that Buffalo has not had since Kelly.  That may seem steep to you but that still leave Buffalo with a full compliment of picks for 2018 and 2019.  Getting a franchise Qb should be the top focus this off season.  

I can understand your thinking.  It does make sense. But how many top 10 QBs were busts. It’s a big gamble.  But I get it if we go that direction.  I would prefer to keep our picks. 

31 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I can understand your thinking.  It does make sense. But how many top 10 QBs were busts. It’s a big gamble.  But I get it if we go that direction.  I would prefer to keep our picks. 

They bust at lower rate than Qbs taken in every other rd combined.  

34 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Looking at QB's taken in the top 5 since 2004 there are 17 players. 11 have been or look to be solid starters, Eli, Smith, Stafford, Newton, Luck, Winston, Goff, Mariota, Wentz, Ryan, and  Rivers.  5 are busts Jamarcus, RG3, Young, Bortles, and Sanchez. 1 Player I found it hard to place because he's good but injury prone, Sam Bradford. The odds are actually pretty good of getting a quality starter, the key seems to be Stay away from guys who aren't into football (Jamarcus, RG3 and young) do that and you are 6 times more likely to get a quality starter than a bust. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I'd consider trading up for Mayfield if he is there around 10.  Other than that, stand pat, draft two good players at 21 and 22, and hope the QB position can be addressed via a cheaper option...F/A or trade.

We've spent 20 years addressing the QB later via Trade F/A and cheaper draft picks. Low odds of success. 

22 hours ago, RiotAct said:

None, but that’s because he has had a pretty terrible supporting cast.

Right so you think our supporting cast is better then the Skins?  If he were that great they would be keeping him around,  overated and someone will end up paying to much for him.